Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Date: December 14, 2016

Subject: 16147 - Customer Satisfaction Program
Center High Mount Stop Lamp Water Leak

Models: 2016-2017 Chevrolet Cruze

To: All General Motors Dealers

General Motors is releasing Customer Satisfaction Program 16147 today. The total number of U.S. vehicles involved is 147,982. Please see the attached bulletin for details.

Customer Letter Mailing
The customer letter mailing will begin the first week of January, 2017.

Attention:
This program is in effect until January 31, 2019.

Make
Model
Model Year
RPO
Description
From
To
Chevrolet
Cruze
Involved vehicles are marked “open” on the Investigate Vehicle History screen in GM Global Warranty Management system. This site should always be checked to confirm vehicle involvement prior to beginning any required inspections and/or repairs.
Condition
On certain 2016-2017 model year Chevrolet Cruze vehicles, the center high mount stop lamp (CHMSL) fasteners may back off over time and cause a water leak, allowing water to flow into the rear compartment battery tub. When the battery tub fills with water to a height of 50mm or more, the DC/DC converter module board and connector are exposed to water which may cause corrosion. If water drains below the DC/DC converter, a resistive short may occur on the printed circuit board which could result in an unattended fire when the DC/DC converter is powered.
Correction
Dealers are to inspect for water damage in the battery tub electrical components, and replace the CHSML gaskets and nuts (adding Loctite to the nut).

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thanks for this... I received an email today saying there was an open recall on the Cruze. Now I know why. Thanks again!

·
Administrator
25,603 Posts
Stuck.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
I was at my dealer last weekend.
One of the guys was on a electron hunt for a genII.....no restart after auto-stop.

Found the battery well about 1" deep in water....didn't play well with the circuit board in there......guess the recall is legit, eh?

Rob

·
Registered
40 Posts
Water in the trunk can cause serious electrical issues. If the PDC is located inside the trunk and gets submerged in water then the body harness must be replaced. Also the IBS could be affected which will not allow the battery to charge properly.
PDC=Power Distribution Centre
IBS=Intelligent Battery Sensor

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was at my dealer last weekend.
One of the guys was on a electron hunt for a genII.....no restart after auto-stop.

Found the battery well about 1" deep in water....didn't play well with the circuit board in there......guess the recall is legit, eh?

Rob
we haven't had any that bad come through my dealer yet.

·
Registered
96 Posts
This occurred on my 2016 back in the fall, and they had GM engineers come in and properly diagnose and fix the issue. My car was out of commission for about 2 weeks. Symptoms started with my radio not displaying on the touch screen (backup cam would work), followed by my start stop flaking out and not turning the car back on after a light turned green. While it was properly diagnosed in the fall, the radio issue started occurring the first week of ownership (in May) and was panned off as a needed software update. During the summer the issue was non-existent, and only occurred on mornings when there was dew and moisture built up on the car.

It was initially labeled a condensation issue until they took apart the whole trunk and most of the cabin to figure out the issue.

This issue caused serious damage to my electronics and some sort of sensor and had it not been under warranty, it'd of been a fortune to repair.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I checked the battery tray in my Cruze today. We had a good melt and thankfully it's all dry in there.

Does anyone know how long it takes to perform the recall work?

·
Registered
131 Posts
which light exactly is this and does it leak inside car too? thank you. I have gen 2 2017 cruze manaul shift LS. PS:Ive no light on back dash the only other one is on top of roof back above back winshield, how would that long one above back glass leak in trunk? Thank you!!!

·
Registered
253 Posts
It the rear center brake light above the rear window. They will have to order new parts even if they don't find water. They want them to replace the gaskets and bolts and put new sealant on the bolts.

·
Registered
131 Posts
It the rear center brake light above the rear window. They will have to order new parts even if they don't find water. They want them to replace the gaskets and bolts and put new sealant on the bolts.
Thanks so its the long bar on outside of car top of back windshield huh? wow how that goes to the trunk is beyond me but bummer. Ours in only 5 mo's old I was hoping we werent inc

·
Registered
44 Posts
What would early symptoms of this be? I'm potentially wondering if it has to do with the problem I'm having. It just rained a ton recently and had some ice prior where I left my vehicle while on vacation

·
Registered
44 Posts
Got my car into the dealer this morning and it have the effects of the recall on my vehicle. Feeling like I may be one of the first ones to actually have trouble from it

·
Registered
12 Posts
took my daughter's 2017 in today for the correction. The Halifax dealer was well prepared and I was in and out very quickly.

·
Registered
131 Posts
does anyone know how this is removed? It looks molded into the paint job at top of back shield long thin on outside w/ metal and paint around it.... sort makes me nervous dont want my paint chipped up by them. I dont even see how they get in this.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Took my 2016 LT in yesterday for the recall. They replaced the high mount stop lamp nuts and gasket. In addition:
Drained water from the battery tub
Replaced the multi-function power supply converter
Replaced the fuel pump control module
Replace the fuse block

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've noticed that the dealership that did my recall never updated the system with my VIN marking it as complete. Is there any reason to call them up asking for it to be closed out?

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
16,998 Posts
I've noticed that the dealership that did my recall never updated the system with my VIN marking it as complete. Is there any reason to call them up asking for it to be closed out?
Yeah, may as well. So it doesn't come up again when you take the car in again/to have it off the record as an open campaign when you sell it.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts