Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy folks!

I've owned a Chevy Cruze for the better part of the last year or so. It was my grandfather's, and when he passed he left it to my father. When I finally became financially established I offered to buy it from him, and after negotiating a loan and price I ended up with a slick 2012 Chevy Cruze LS, gold-colored. I had always owned cars over half my age (previous was a 2000 Chrysler LHS, before that a 2001 Dodge Intrepid), so owning something newer than 2010 was like upgrading to the starship Enterprise.

I'm on my own, and would like to get more familiar with my car because it's the first one I've felt like was really 'mine'. I also appreciate the amount of money you can save just by doing the work yourself, and being the frugal individual I am I see myself stopping by here to get folks' opinions on common issues Cruze owners face. I'm pretty bad with cars in general, at least understanding them, so your patience is appreciated.

Hope to see ya'll around!

·
Premium Member
2,696 Posts
Welcome to CruzeTalk. A great place to start is the Gen 1 section (your model is a "Gen 1").

Happy Cruzin'

Reactions: chevrasaki

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Welcome to CruzeTalk.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,346 Posts
Welcome to Cruzetalk. You probably picked the right motor for someone that doesn't know a ton about them - the 1.8 is mostly drama free.

What's the current mileage on it?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
2,170 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Howdy folks!

I'm on my own, and would like to get more familiar with my car because it's the first one I've felt like was really 'mine'. I also appreciate the amount of money you can save just by doing the work yourself,
This right here was my reason for learning about cars. Was sick and tired of sinking dollar after dollar into a Mazda MX3 with no idea of why I was doing it. So I'll give you props on this one. That being said, welcome man.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you everyone for the nice welcome - glad to have such a cool community here!

Welcome to Cruzetalk. You probably picked the right motor for someone that doesn't know a ton about them - the 1.8 is mostly drama free.

I got lucky in that it only had 31,000 miles on it. My grandfather only ever took it to the movies, and so most of the mileage has been me driving it around. Best yet, my work is only 8 minutes away in traffic so it doesn't rack up a lot of mileage!

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,346 Posts
Thank you everyone for the nice welcome - glad to have such a cool community here!

I got lucky in that it only had 31,000 miles on it. My grandfather only ever took it to the movies, and so most of the mileage has been me driving it around. Best yet, my work is only 8 minutes away in traffic so it doesn't rack up a lot of mileage!
Nice. A low mileage example for sure. At a minimum, it is time for a brake fluid and coolant flush. Brake fluid is a 3 year maintenance item; coolant is 5 years or 100k, whichever comes first.

Transmission fluid should be changed around 45k

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nice. A low mileage example for sure. At a minimum, it is time for a brake fluid and coolant flush. Brake fluid is a 3 year maintenance item; coolant is 5 years or 100k, whichever comes first.

Transmission fluid should be changed around 45k

Thanks for the information! I imagine I'll find how to do that lying around the board somewhere? :)

·
Registered
1,335 Posts

Welcome and what jblackburn said. Keep the fluid fresh and clean and the car should probably last you a long time. Change fluid according to the severe schedule and maybe even earlier and always use the best fluids you can fit in your budget.

Hope you enjoy your cruze! This is a great forum with knowledgeable and polite folks!!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Welcome!

I have been able to do all my own work on my Cruze (except for warranty items) thanks to this forum.

You'll find almost anything you need to know here and if you can't find it, someone will be able to help you.

·
10,713 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I also concur with 1.8 being a bit more friendlier to work with just short of the the whole timing belt replacement process.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts