Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, I just purchased a 2013 Chevy Cruze 1.4 LT1 package this week and saw this forum on Google and although not new to forums, I am new to this one.
Since I don't have any issues with it I'll just say I love it. After extensive research into car's before my purchase, I was pretty much sold on several other makes but when the awesome salesman at Dick Hannah Honda (Vancouver WA) brought this out to show me, I was really impressed by it's styling and after looking at all the options on this ride, I realized price verses miles and year, this was a great opportunity.
I had some issues with GM having lost hundreds of shares of stock in them when they went bankrupt a few years back but after getting past that in my mind and taking a much closer look at the Cruze I realized it was a very nice car.
There seems to be a good number of really bad reviews of the Cruze and a whole lot more 5 star reviews, so it seems more black & white rather than mediocre on reviews.
The only one thing that made me nervous about my car was there seems to be a lot of chatter from the top end (valve cover), anyone with ideas about this please feel free to chime in.
I asked a buddy who is a former ASE certified mechanic for Chevy and he stated that it was a common fear from many on the 1.4 and was mainly due to the fact that overall the newer engines are more quite now so you tend to hear the valve train more. That being said mine is still on the GM warranty, so I set an appointment to take it in and have them take a listen and a possible valve adjustment.
Thanks for listening and looking forward to meeting some fellow Cruze owners and hearing their experiences.

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts
Welcome! Glad you love it so far. If you have any issues or findings, post them up here and I can guarantee someone has insight for you. Even if there's no issues, feel free to post anywhere!

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,295 Posts
Welcome to the cruze talk Be cool stay cozy keep cruzen and Best Wishes !

·
Administrator
25,600 Posts
Welcome and congrats on your Cruze. You are correct, either the owners love and rave about them or they absolutely hate them. I suspect the vast majority of owners just take the car's quirks in stride and don't write about it one way or another.

·
2,168 Posts
Welcome to the forum! From what you described, it sounds normal. I think it's more noticeable because of the plastic valve cover, if you've popped the oil cap off yet, you've probably noticed that you can see one of the camshafts like RIGHT there.

Side note on the topic of GM engine noises, my dad got a new GMC sierra with the ecotec3 5.3L V8. It has direct injection, and I can not even explain how different it sounds to the previous V8. I almost don't like it, and I certainly don't like it as much as the old model's low grumble.

Reactions: lakemg

·
Registered
132 Posts
Congrats and welcome!!! I love my Cruze too. My 2016 limited 1.4 is noisy too, but I like the sound it makes. My direct injected 6.2 is noisy too compared to my old 1st Gen camaro's small block. Just the nature of the beast with these newer engines. As long as they're not knocking, smoking, or missing, they should be just fine.

·
2,168 Posts
Congrats and welcome!!! I love my Cruze too. My 2016 limited 1.4 is noisy too, but I like the sound it makes. My direct injected 6.2 is noisy too compared to my old 1st Gen camaro's small block. Just the nature of the beast with these newer engines. As long as they're not knocking, smoking, or missing, they should be just fine.
Don't tell anyone else on the forum, but I almost bought a focus instead of my cruze. The focus was actually my first choice. But I didn't buy it because I had heard that ford was having issues with their direct injection systems. The model I was looking at had the 2.0L DI engine. I went to pick the cruze up after that and am so happy I ended up with it. I love my car!

Reactions: lakemg

·
Registered
132 Posts
Don't tell anyone else on the forum, but I almost bought a focus instead of my cruze. The focus was actually my first choice. But I didn't buy it because I had heard that ford was having issues with their direct injection systems. The model I was looking at had the 2.0L DI engine. I went to pick the cruze up after that and am so happy I ended up with it. I love my car!
Your secret is safe with me. I won't tell a soul...

·
2,168 Posts
Does anyone else hear a faint whistling noise when in a drive thru next to a brick building? I also hear the intake sucking in extra air when the turbo spools up. Very quiet but it's there.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Welcome to the forum! From what you described, it sounds normal. I think it's more noticeable because of the plastic valve cover, if you've popped the oil cap off yet, you've probably noticed that you can see one of the camshafts like RIGHT there.

Side note on the topic of GM engine noises, my dad got a new GMC sierra with the ecotec3 5.3L V8. It has direct injection, and I can not even explain how different it sounds to the previous V8. I almost don't like it, and I certainly don't like it as much as the old model's low grumble.
Thank you for chiming in, I too had a 65 Chevy Nova with a 283 (factory custom) and just loved the sound of it with a high rise manifold and headers, simply loved that car and it was my very first hot rod when I was a kid.
Also the "plastic cover" makes sense, since the difference between a plastic and or metal cover audio quality's, is obvious.
That being said it's kind of strange that the valve train ticking sound would be more pronounced while the engine is warmed up verses cold when there is less oil distributed through the top end of the engine, curious.
Thanks again
D

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Does anyone else hear a faint whistling noise when in a drive thru next to a brick building? I also hear the intake sucking in extra air when the turbo spools up. Very quiet but it's there.
Hi and Thank you, while I was looking up the "ticking sound" in youtube I saw a video on replacement of the MAP sensor and there is also great audio on a "whistling or air" sound.
Are you having any performance issues associated with your Cruze? If you are do a youtube search on the Chevy Cruze MAP sensor. If it turns out that this is an issue for you, to replace the MAP sensor you must replace the valve cover because it's built into the valve cover.
Hope this helps
D

1 - 20 of 32 Posts