Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just picked up this 2015 LTZ yesterday and am wanting to upgrade the audio system.

I have a few components that I saved from my last vehicle and am hoping to incorporate them into the new car.

Planning on keeping the factory deck but using aftermarket speakers and amps.

Here's a list of components I am planning on using.

Factory Cruze My Link Head Unit
miniDSP 2x4
miniDSP Isolator
miniDSP 2 way advanced plugin
2-Dayton Audio RS180-4 7 Reference Woofer 4 Ohm
2-Seas Prestige 27TFFN/G Textile Dome Tweeter with Grill*
1-Kicker CRV in Factory Kicker box
1-Hifonics Juputer Series VII
1-Memphis Audio 16-MC250D
1-PAC AA-GM44

Misc. Wiring:
17 feet of red power cable
6 feet of ground
3 RCA pairs
1 fuseblock
2 distribution blocks
8-gauge cables

I've done a few installs in the past and have been wanting to do a build with miniDSP for quite a long time.

While this car will be my wife's daily commuter I am really looking forward to hearing what this all sounds like after its installed.

Thanks to XtremeRevolution for the awesome threads and write-ups!

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,273 Posts
Welcome to the cruze talk be cool stay cozy keep cruzen and best wishes with yer new audio install .

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So after reading a few more of XR's posts I have decided to go with the Peerless/Silver Flute speaker combination which will leave some room in my budget for some sound deadening materials. I am also considering selling my current amps and sub to get something for appropriate for a SQ setup. The Silver Flutes are currently out of stock so that will give me some time to do more research and getting the rest of the materials ready.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I ordered the minidsp stuff today along with the tweeters and Pac LOC. Tomorrow I plan on ordering the sound deadening materials and start researching boxes and subwoofers. I was just planning on using my kicker sub and box but I really want to do this build right.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The more research I do the more I want to order a couple 18" Peavey Black Widows and do an IB setup. If it was my daily driver I would totally do it. Being it's my wife's I better keep it simple.

·
Administrator
15,760 Posts
I ordered the minidsp stuff today along with the tweeters and Pac LOC. Tomorrow I plan on ordering the sound deadening materials and start researching boxes and subwoofers. I was just planning on using my kicker sub and box but I really want to do this build right.

What's your budget for subs? How much space can you give up?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I'm trying to keep as much trunk space as possible. I traded in a 08' Impala SS for this Cruze so I am used to being able to haul bodies and groceries at the same time. Lol

That said, ideally I would like have a box that will fit in the area directly behind the rear seats similar to the zenclosure box.

I would like to keep the costs of the total build around $1K so I probably can do $500-750 on the sub portion.

I've been toying with the idea of building my own box but could really use some help with the design. I have a fairly decent tool selection including a table saw.

I am open to any suggestions you have.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I recieved my tweeters and minidsp stuff over the weekend. Not sure why but I recieved 2 minidc isolators.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looks like they gave up on being in stock mid may. It now says late may. Glad I'm not in a hurry to get this build done.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I received my sound deadener from Don at SDS today. I'm temped to start popping the door panels and install it but it's probably best to wait till I get the woofers and speaker adapters before I start doing anything. I'm still trying to convince myself I don't need dual 18's with an IB setup like XR built but I really want to hear what it would sound like! I'll probably just use the Kicker sub and Memphis Audio 16-MC250D for the time being until I figure out what I really want. It seems like there are just too many choices. I guess I need to start thinking about how much trunk space I want to give up and go from there. My wife and I mostly listen to metal/rock so I guess I'm leaning towards a sealed box possibly with a pair of 10's???

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have decided to wait on my build until i get the woofers and baffles. Luckily I will be quite busy the next two weeks.

As far as your sub dilemma is concerned you have the right idea... how much trunk space are you willing to give up. Right now I am looking at building a new box for my JBL P1022 so i can get the most out of it. oh the things I now know I wish I knew a few years ago.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
After a few weeks of debate I think I would like to build a sealed enclosure to house a single 15" Peavey Low Rider. I was temped to just use a pre built box and pick up a cpuple JL Audio 10w3v3's but I really want to build my own box and have something different and more cost effective.

I started messing around with Sketchup last night. I don't think making a sealed enclosure is going to be to terribly difficult. I'm not sure how I'm going to do the bracing yet though.

·
Administrator
15,760 Posts
After a few weeks of debate I think I would like to build a sealed enclosure to house a single 15" Peavey Low Rider. I was temped to just use a pre built box and pick up a cpuple JL Audio 10w3v3's but I really want to build my own box and have something different and more cost effective.

I started messing around with Sketchup last night. I don't think making a sealed enclosure is going to be to terribly difficult. I'm not sure how I'm going to do the bracing yet though.

I can help you with the box design.

Do you have a router?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I can help you with the box design.

Do you have a router?
I don't have one but I have a buddy who has a fairly extensive wood working shop and has offered to help build the box. I thought about just buying my own router but he's already got a router table, table saw, dust collector, planer, lathe, and a bunch of other sweet gear. I might as well just build it there. I'll have to bring a 30 pack but it beats making a huge mess in my shop.

I'd appreciate the help XR.

·
Administrator
15,760 Posts
I don't have one but I have a buddy who has a fairly extensive wood working shop and has offered to help build the box. I thought about just buying my own router but he's already got a router table, table saw, dust collector, planer, lathe, and a bunch of other sweet gear. I might as well just build it there. I'll have to bring a 30 pack but it beats making a huge mess in my shop.

I'd appreciate the help XR.

Have a look through my imageshack album. Scroll down till you get to the images that start with "20130512" and you'll see how I designed and built my subwoofer enclosures. It would be best if you did this from a computer, not a mobile device.

https://imageshack.com/user/XtremeRevolution

I'll model up some dimensions this week for you.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Haha! Holy crap! Definitely going to need a pc to get through all those pics.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I started messing around with Sketchup tonight and came up with this. It has a volume of 2.26 cubic ft. without accounting for the woofer or bracing.

I haven't had a chance to actually measure the trunk space or look for obstacles under the rear deck lid so I really have no idea if it will fit.

One thing that is of concern is that the vertical bracing gets very thin (1/4") towards the front of the box.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts