Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy forum

New member here, just purchased my first Chevy Cruze this last weekend, nice 1 owner car that seems to be well cared for (the interior looks like brand new). It is a 2012 1.4L turbo with a manual 6 speed transmission with a 136,000 miles. I intend to drive this car back and forth to work for the next several months to understand any quirks or issues that should be worked out prior to letting my soon to be 16 year daughter drive it. Let's be honest, any vehicle with 136,000 miles is going to have some needs. And pursuing through this forum, it would appear that there are several common issues to pay attention to. I don't have, and was not able to obtain, a detailed service history of the vehicle. But again, it is an extremely clean, no rust, no door dings, interior looks like brand new, vehicle.

Now, my question that I have for the experienced Cruze owners. I have been driving it for almost a week now and have been paying pretty close attention to the mechanical systems on the car, if for anything to understand any immediate issues. One thing I have noticed is that there appears to be coolant pooling on the top of the transmission where it bolts to the motor, just enough to make it damp. I took a pic and attached to this post of the area in question. Is there a common mode failure that is generally associated with this symptom?

Before I bought the vehicle I did notice that this same area had a fairly significant amount of oil residue as well. I simply attributed that to the age of the car and miles and took it to the car wash and power-washed that portion of the motor. If you look carefully, you can still see a little bit of grime near the left bottom.

·
Super Moderator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
7,560 Posts
Howdy forum

New member here, just purchased my first Chevy Cruze this last weekend, nice 1 owner car that seems to be well cared for (the interior looks like brand new). It is a 2012 1.4L turbo with a manual 6 speed transmission with a 136,000 miles. I intend to drive this car back and forth to work for the next several months to understand any quirks or issues that should be worked out prior to letting my soon to be 16 year daughter drive it. Let's be honest, any vehicle with 136,000 miles is going to have some needs. And pursuing through this forum, it would appear that there are several common issues to pay attention to. I don't have, and was not able to obtain, a detailed service history of the vehicle. But again, it is an extremely clean, no rust, no door dings, interior looks like brand new, vehicle.

Now, my question that I have for the experienced Cruze owners. I have been driving it for almost a week now and have been paying pretty close attention to the mechanical systems on the car, if for anything to understand any immediate issues. One thing I have noticed is that there appears to be coolant pooling on the top of the transmission where it bolts to the motor, just enough to make it damp. I took a pic and attached to this post of the area in question. Is there a common mode failure that is generally associated with this symptom?

Before I bought the vehicle I did notice that this same area had a fairly significant amount of oil residue as well. I simply attributed that to the age of the car and miles and took it to the car wash and power-washed that portion of the motor. If you look carefully, you can still see a little bit of grime near the left bottom.
Welcome Aboard!(y)

The picture is a bit close so I am not quite able to orient what I am looking at. I would thoroughly clean the engine bay and after each drive, look under the hood for signs of leaks. The coolant can come from a cracked reservoir, leaky reservoir cap, deteriorating water outlet, a few different hoses, a leaky water pump just to name a few of the common ones. Oil is another story.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts