Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 2014 Cruze sedan for my daughter. The car was a lease return and had less than 9,000 miles on it. It was in great condition and had all the bells and whistles. I took it in for an oil change and the attendant at Jiffy Lube told me Chevy recommends synthetic oil. Is this necessary? Also, that he had trouble with the drain plug and that I should order a new one before the next oil change. Is there an after market source for the drain plug? Thanks.

·
2,254 Posts
Welcome to CruzeTalk.

Yes, the Cruze requires Dexos1 certified oil (it may say it on the oil fill cap, I can't remember) as mentioned on page 11-12 of your owners manual. It is a synthetic blend.

As far as trouble with the oil drain plug, oh boy. First off, I would never take your vehicle to another Jiffy Lube type place again. Go to a dealer or try it yourself! Heck, if I can do it, anyone can. It's easy.

It does sound like they were the ones who messed up your drain plug, and If they did, I think THEY should pay to fix the problem, whether it's a new plug or a whole new oil pan. Make sure you are not leaking any oil from the plug.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I would follow Sparkman advice, one of the easiest things you can do to a car besides driving it through a car wash, if they effed up you're drain plug they should fix it, a 2-3 year old car shouldn't already have a bad plug, and like Sparkman said, if the threads on the pan are cross threaded you need a whole pan, that'll run you. Chevy recommends a synthetic BLEND that is "dexos-approved" I use Mobil one full synthetic high temp for my car, but really anything with the placard will do, runs me 35-40 to do myself using the most expensive stuff I can justify lol

You're looking for this if you decide to do it yourself:

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
2,168 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

If your car has the 1.4L turbo or the 1.8L non-turbo (very likely) then your car requires a 5w-30 full synthetic or synthetic blend that meets the dexos 1 certification.

If you have the 2.0L diesel engine (not very common) then you need a full synthetic 5w-30 that meets the dexos 2 certification.

Also, if you are like me and live in an apartment complex that forbids performing any type of vehicle maintenance, I too recommend taking it to a local Chevy dealer instead of a quick change oil place. I've heard stories of people stripping the drain bolt on the Cruze, I guess it's made of pretty weak metal and the head isn't very big so if you don't use exactly the correct size socket, it'll strip. When I was living at my friends house, I did my own oil changes and never had any problems.

If you decide you want to replace it yourself, any local auto parts store will likely have it in stock.

It may be worth taking a look under the car to see what condition the drain bolt is in, and if it's stripped I would complain to the service manager at jiffy lube and have them order you a new one.

Reactions: Chevy_Country

·
Premium Member
2,243 Posts
Welcome to CruzeTalk!

·
10,712 Posts
Welcome to the forums. The drain plug is softer than the oil pan so when someone ignores the tq numbers literally next to the plug they don't ruin the threads in the pan. Plug is easier and cheaper to replace than the pan.

As for the dexos, it's on 2014 and up cars and anyone who replaced the oil cap after old stock was gone. Being a 2014 It should already say that. You want to get synthetic as these cars run hot, there is a few threads on what you should get.

In all seriousness as much as I rag on "The Lube" the dealer could have did that. My 2013 had 3 engine drain plugs and 1 trans fill plug replaced by them.

Hand carry your oil and filter to the dealer, it's gonna come out to about the same as if you hand carried oil to "The Lube"and you get to drive away with a slightly more responsible party changing it. Dealer goofs you only have the dealer to worry about vs "The Lube" and dealer involvement when they pretend you never visited them to change your oil.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts