Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 2014 Chevy Cruze LT 1.4l turbo. I tried to smog it last week and I thought by just deleting the cel would at least allow it to pass smog and buy me time to address the actual issues later, boy was I wrong. It passed the actual emissions part of the test but it failed the OBD2 part, the computer had permanent codes saved, I didn't even know that was a thing this is the newest car I've ever owned, the codes it showed were: P0171 P0299 P0442 P0496. After much research I figured out I had a bad purge valve and replaced it, and after a week of trying to get enough drive cycles to clear my permanent codes to no avail, I figured I need to join this forum for some expert advice. After replacing the purge valve it's only thrown two codes, P0299 and P0420, after racking my brain I thought if the turbo was underboosting then there's no way it would make as much power as it should be, so I looked up the estimated quarter mile time on Chevrolet's website, 17.3 seconds, and I took it out to my local drag strip and ran a 17.9, I figured that's close enough to the time Chevrolet says it can run and figured it was something else triggering that code, but the P0420 has me stumped, do I just start replacing sensors until I find the one triggering the code? Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you in advance

·
Premium Member
2013 Cruze LT
1,546 Posts
That is a catalytic converter underperformance code, so you either have an oxygen sensor that isn’t measuring correctly, or need a new catalytic converter. How many miles does it have? And yes, you basically cant cheat on those tests anymore, even if you clear the stored codes, their inspection system can see the computer was recently reset.

Reactions: plano-doug

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It has 128k miles, do you recommend changing both oxygen sensors? Or is it most likely to be one more than the other?

·
Registered
2012 Cruze Eco 6 Speed
365 Posts
welcome to the forum

·
Premium Member
2013 Cruze LT
1,546 Posts
It has 128k miles, do you recommend changing both oxygen sensors? Or is it most likely to be one more than the other?
I mean it could be the converter itself, its hard to say, what I’d really recommend is taking it off to take a look inside first. It’s free, but requires some work. I think O2 sensors throw a code when they go bad normally.

·
Premium Member
2015 Chevrolet Cruze LT 1.4L Turbo
471 Posts
Change both oxygen sensors AND the catalytic converter.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll change both oxygen sensors today, and and see how many drive cycles I can get through before it throws a code, and if it does I'll change the catalytic converter last, do you happen to know how much a catalytic converter costs?

·
Premium Member
2013 Cruze LT
1,546 Posts
I'll change both oxygen sensors today, and and see how many drive cycles I can get through before it throws a code, and if it does I'll change the catalytic converter last, do you happen to know how much a catalytic converter costs?
A lot. Aftermarket a few hundy. From GM like $600.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And one more thing, do I have one catalytic converter or does my car have two? And do I only have two oxygen sensors?
A lot. Aftermarket a few hundy. From GM like $600.
I just ran to AutoZone and got both oxygen sensors but he didn't even lift the catalytic converter in his computer, he said he couldn't even get it if he wanted to. But he showed me this stuff called cataclean apparently it's some kind of catalytic converter cleaner that you dump in your gas tank, sounds a little gimmicky for me but I bought it anyway and I guess we'll see what it does

·
Premium Member
2013 Cruze LT
1,546 Posts
Two sensors, two converters.

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
And one more thing, do I have one catalytic converter or does my car have two? And do I only have two oxygen sensors?

I just ran to AutoZone and got both oxygen sensors but he didn't even lift the catalytic converter in his computer, he said he couldn't even get it if he wanted to. But he showed me this stuff called cataclean apparently it's some kind of catalytic converter cleaner that you dump in your gas tank, sounds a little gimmicky for me but I bought it anyway and I guess we'll see what it does
If it's not fixed correctly, why bother even fixing it?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If it's not fixed correctly why bother even fixing it? What do you mean? About dumping the cataclean in the tank? Cause I have to order a catalytic converter online and in the meantime I figured might as well see if this liquid can at least make it pass smog, I only have a limited time for my free retest and the DMV won't transfer the title until I show them proof of a smog

·
Registered
89 Posts
Don't waste your money on additives. All they do is cause the cat to heat up and try to burn off some of the built up carbon which is causing the cat to fail. It never gets hot enough to actually work like a diesel does to it's exhaust system. If the codes it's throwing isn't telling you which cat or oxygen sensor exactly is bad (ex bank 1/2 sensor 1/2) then you kinda have a guessing game on your hands.

In all my experience working on cars and working in parts stores in the past, code P0420 typically ends up being an oxygen sensor. Personally I would replace both, reset the codes and drive the car for a week to see if it returns. If it does, you should address the cats. If not, booyah. At your mileage you won't really lose anything but the monetary investment by replacing the sensors anyway. You might even pick up some fuel mileage.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the reply, I'm not too worried about the monetary investment I picked up the car for 2500 bucks, my original plan was to sell it and make a few bucks off it but I actually kind of like the car, it's a little bit gutless but it does run decent, I just changed both oxygen sensors I'm letting the car warm up now then I'm going to take it for a test drive lately it's been throwing a code when I'm going from my 4th to 5th drive cycle and right now I'm on my 4th so I'll keep you guys posted, thanks for all the help

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
On my fourth drive cycle it just threw the p0420 code, catalyst system efficiency below threshold Bank 1, so I'll be replacing the catalytic converters soon, does anyone have a recommendation where I should order them from? Are some brands better than others?

·
Premium Member
2013 Cruze LT
1,546 Posts
On my fourth drive cycle it just threw the p0420 code, catalyst system efficiency below threshold Bank 1, so I'll be replacing the catalytic converters soon, does anyone have a recommendation where I should order them from? Are some brands better than others?
Most aftermarket suck and will throw codes as new. But you may get lucky. I would personally get one on ebay or junkyard from a low mileage used car.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I actually just found a guy parting out a 2015 Chevy Cruze on Craigslist with 4,000 mi on it, he said he'll sell both cats for $200, I think I'll just make him an offer on the whole car and tow it home since I wouldn't mind a few other parts

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
If it's not fixed correctly why bother even fixing it? What do you mean? About dumping the cataclean in the tank? Cause I have to order a catalytic converter online and in the meantime I figured might as well see if this liquid can at least make it pass smog, I only have a limited time for my free retest and the DMV won't transfer the title until I show them proof of a smog
I mean, if it needs a converter, put a converter on it. Additives may do some good in the short term, but most of then do some long term damage. Case in point: Stop leak. It stops the leak short term, but gums things up in the process.

Also, If you don't like the hassle of living in an emissions state, then change states. There are plenty of states where emissions aren't enforced. :)

·
Premium Member
2013 Cruze LT
1,546 Posts
4,000 miles?!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts