Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone I am a former gm tech decided to try a 2.0 cruze diesel and see how I llke it. After 25 years with several dealers and the downsizing of the general I left that world.
There are times where I still really miss it but I have moved on. I still have a lot of faith in the gm product and hope they have overcome some of their shortcomings. I hate to bash the product but after I left gm and worked a few years at hyundai .I got a real eye opener as to how differernt approaches can work with respect to customer satisfaction . The product at hyundai was never near the quality and engineering of a gm . However gm could learn from their approach to product warranty and simplicty of most designs.Cost was another factor that we dont want to touch . With the stranglehold the unions of domestic car makers have on the price tag .
Overal I have only ever owned 1 import and it was a hyundai santa fe still have it and am very happy with it evenrhough at start up the engine screams (just 1 part of their less than stellar engine management system that has bothered me from the first time I ever started one)
For me on the inside looking out I admired the volkswagon diesel and gm's inability to offer anyrhing like that. There is finally something available from gm to compete and I dare say maybe beat those tdi v dubs. I intend to find out. This introduction has turned into a bit of a rant but maybe now you have some insight into my view point

·
Premium Member
2015 Chevrolet Cruze LT 1.4L Turbo
2,516 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

What year Cruze did you buy?
Pics please...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2015 cruze with 105000 kilometers on it . It should have some life left in it it has the check engine light on a nox sensor code and a heater code .It isnt home yet. Kinda keen to tear into it

·
Registered
28 Posts
For me on the inside looking out I admired the volkswagon diesel and gm's inability to offer anyrhing like that. There is finally something available from gm to compete and I dare say maybe beat those tdi v dubs. I intend to find out. This introduction has turned into a bit of a rant but maybe now you have some insight into my view point
We have a Golf TDI and it's a pretty solid platform. The real weakness in the systems is the @#@!#@ emission crap. diesel was a GREAT platform until government decided to stick their fingers in the pie and screw it up like everything else they touch. And speaking of government, they are more responsible for the cost of vehicles than even the dang union problem.
Sorry, I went off the reservation for a minute there... I get bent thinking about stuff like that, especially when the consumer is always the one who suffers for it.

·
Super Moderator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
10,814 Posts
Hey everyone I am a former gm tech decided to try a 2.0 cruze diesel and see how I llke it. After 25 years with several dealers and the downsizing of the general I left that world.
There are times where I still really miss it but I have moved on. I still have a lot of faith in the gm product and hope they have overcome some of their shortcomings. I hate to bash the product but after I left gm and worked a few years at hyundai .I got a real eye opener as to how differernt approaches can work with respect to customer satisfaction . The product at hyundai was never near the quality and engineering of a gm . However gm could learn from their approach to product warranty and simplicty of most designs.Cost was another factor that we dont want to touch . With the stranglehold the unions of domestic car makers have on the price tag .
Overal I have only ever owned 1 import and it was a hyundai santa fe still have it and am very happy with it evenrhough at start up the engine screams (just 1 part of their less than stellar engine management system that has bothered me from the first time I ever started one)
Welcome Aboard!(y)

The Union ensures the members get a fair wage. As for the higher price, you need to look more at the Corporation. I am interested in your comparison to the VW though. IF my Cruze dies, I am considering a Golf R,

·
Registered
28 Posts
Welcome Aboard!(y)

The Union ensures the members get a fair wage. As for the higher price, you need to look more at the Corporation. I am interested in your comparison to the VW though. IF my Cruze dies, I am considering a Golf R,
I have zero experience with the Golf R other than a test drive here and there, and I wasn't able to torture it like I would want with a salesman sitting next to me the whole time. I've had a VR6, and 2, GTI's, and a Jetta GLI, and the latest is my sons TDI. I was quite pleased with the GTI's, and very pleased with the GLI having a considerably less oversteer than the GTI, it's just a bit heavier. I had the previous generation and the interior, as boring as it was, was far better than the current model stuff. They are good cars and handle quite well.
That being said, the 2022 Golf is an upgraded and very interesting platform, and it's looking a LOT better than the lame attempts VW made over the past 12-14 years in styling.
Right now, I'd be looking for a Focus RS with low miles, it'll run circles around the Golf R... find a nice one will be expensive, however. I have an ST (my second one now) and it's a great car for a fun daily driver. My regret was not getting an RS when I was trying to decide last time. But if you are going to buy new, the Golf R is looking pretty good for next year. And best of all, you'll still be able to get it with a manual.I've gotten to the point where I don't like driving an automatic anymore. Anyway, that would be my pick over any of the other "hot hatch" options out there if I were going brand new.
Anyway, that's my 2 cents worth.

This is my last VW, may God rest her soul... gurl pulled right out in front of me and I wedged the thing and rolled her over. Broke my heart, I loved that car.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have zero experience with the Golf R other than a test drive here and there, and I wasn't able to torture it like I would want with a salesman sitting next to me the whole time. I've had a VR6, and 2, GTI's, and a Jetta GLI, and the latest is my sons TDI. I was quite pleased with the GTI's, and very pleased with the GLI having a considerably less oversteer than the GTI, it's just a bit heavier. I had the previous generation and the interior, as boring as it was, was far better than the current model stuff. They are good cars and handle quite well.
That being said, the 2022 Golf is an upgraded and very interesting platform, and it's looking a LOT better than the lame attempts VW made over the past 12-14 years in styling.
Right now, I'd be looking for a Focus RS with low miles, it'll run circles around the Golf R... find a nice one will be expensive, however. I have an ST (my second one now) and it's a great car for a fun daily driver. My regret was not getting an RS when I was trying to decide last time. But if you are going to buy new, the Golf R is looking pretty good for next year. And best of all, you'll still be able to get it with a manual.I've gotten to the point where I don't like driving an automatic anymore. Anyway, that would be my pick over any of the other "hot hatch" options out there if I were going brand new.
Anyway, that's my 2 cents worth.

This is my last VW, may God rest her soul... gurl pulled right out in front of me and I wedged the thing and rolled her over. Broke my heart, I loved that car.

View attachment 291364

View attachment 291365

View attachment 291366
Ouch! Hope no one was hurt bad.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well in theory the the crash rating was tested and it looks as though it did a good job as it gave up its service life!

·
Registered
17 Posts
the only thing injured really was my feelings. I really liked that car and she destroyed it. at least I got the satisfaction of looking at her rolled over SUV sitting in the middle of the road.
That must be heartbreaking. Some people with poor reflexes should not drive.

·
Registered
28 Posts
That must be heartbreaking. Some people with poor reflexes should not drive.
Yea, most definitely it was. I loved that car. The only thing about it I didn't want was the DSG. I'd rather have a 6 speed manual. That being said, it was still a blast to drive. Chick pulled out in front of me trying to beat traffic... I DANG near got it stopped too, it bit in hard, but the math just wasn't there man. She had it romped trying to turn left so the driver side was unloaded, all I had to do was wedge under it and it flipped over. I was so dang mad I wouldn't even talk to her.
But in the end it all worked out even though insurance never paid me anywhere near what I had into it. I replaced it with a '13 Focus ST, drove that for a year or two, then bought an '18 Focus ST that I'm still driving. right now I'm strongly considering a Golf R when the '22 model year cars come out, but I haven't decided for sure just yet. I'm really happy with the ST, so I don't know what I'll end up doing yet.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts