Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys its nice to see a large community here.
Got rear-ended and forced into the car in front of me. Wrecked the passenger side front and rear of the car to the tune of $14,000
When I got the car back it wasn't the same. Rattles in the door the front end crashed over bumps. I decided that rather then take it back in and have another month and a half in the shop to just trade it in for something new. I drive for work so I need comfort and reliability. I would have probably gone diesel if I could have found one with the options I wanted at the price I wanted but didn't find any. I got a great deal on the LTZ with GM's 15% deal going on right now paid just over 20k. I love this car and should have gotten this instead of the Jetta 2 years ago. The Jetta's seats are more supportive but the cheap vinyl(leatherette) they are made from sucked. The dsg tranny was expensive to maintain, Dealer wanted $850 for 40k service half was just the trans so I did it myself. The interior of the Cruze is hands down superior to the Jetta's. More info on the dash better DIC info, My link is better then what VW has. However the sound of the stereo on the VW is much better then the Cruze. I had a loaded Tdi SEL so it had the 400 watt fender premium audio in it. The 9 speaker pioneer system sound good but not as good as the fender. Probably has to do with the sub woofer and built in enclosure that the VW has, The whole rear deck behind the rear seats is a sub box. The keyless entry on the VW is a little better then whats on the cruze. Gran the door handle and the door(s) unlocked, press a little dent in the handle to lock the, plus they covered the key-hole on the driver door too which just made it look smooth. About the only thing i'll really miss about it is the fuel economy. average 40 mixed and often went over 50 on long trips, but i'll be seeing what I can do to improve the Cruze's economy in the weeks ahead

Attachments

·
Administrator
25,035 Posts
Welcome to CruzeTalk and congrats on your new LTZ. Take a look in our Fuel Economy forum for tips on improving the Cruze's fuel economy.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Thanks guys its nice to see a large community here.
Got rear-ended and forced into the car in front of me. Wrecked the passenger side front and rear of the car to the tune of $14,000
When I got the car back it wasn't the same. Rattles in the door the front end crashed over bumps. I decided that rather then take it back in and have another month and a half in the shop to just trade it in for something new. I drive for work so I need comfort and reliability. I would have probably gone diesel if I could have found one with the options I wanted at the price I wanted but didn't find any. I got a great deal on the LTZ with GM's 15% deal going on right now paid just over 20k. I love this car and should have gotten this instead of the Jetta 2 years ago. The Jetta's seats are more supportive but the cheap vinyl(leatherette) they are made from sucked. The dsg tranny was expensive to maintain, Dealer wanted $850 for 40k service half was just the trans so I did it myself. The interior of the Cruze is hands down superior to the Jetta's. More info on the dash better DIC info, My link is better then what VW has. However the sound of the stereo on the VW is much better then the Cruze. I had a loaded Tdi SEL so it had the 400 watt fender premium audio in it. The 9 speaker pioneer system sound good but not as good as the fender. Probably has to do with the sub woofer and built in enclosure that the VW has, The whole rear deck behind the rear seats is a sub box. The keyless entry on the VW is a little better then whats on the cruze. Gran the door handle and the door(s) unlocked, press a little dent in the handle to lock the, plus they covered the key-hole on the driver door too which just made it look smooth. About the only thing i'll really miss about it is the fuel economy. average 40 mixed and often went over 50 on long trips, but i'll be seeing what I can do to improve the Cruze's economy in the weeks ahead
Unibody is just that, one big fat part. Starts off from a huge roll of sheet metal, cut, stamped, formed for all the pieces, put in a precision jig, robotically welded all together then dipped in a tank of undercoating. From a roll of sheet metal to a completed body in about 35 minutes.

Designed to protect you but adsorbing the impact by slowly crushing. Like many other automotive parts today, a throwaway part, a large part, but nevertheless a throwaway part. There really is no way to get it back to the original and still offer you protection, so surprised you even got that far.

If you were to take a piece of sheet metal, put a 90 degree bend in it, flattened it out, then bend it again, that bend would snap into two. Sheet metal can only be formed once. Unibodies have hundred such bends and forming. Can replace a quarter panel, a door, or a fender providing the main structure from front to back was not deformed.

No way can a guy with a hammer straightened these parts out again.

Getting bored with these constant Liberty Mutual commercials, you were "t-boned" and only got 3/4 of your vehicle covered, how can you drive a car on three wheels.

My insurance company also offers brand new vehicle replacement, but have to pay extra for it. Ha, if I want to pay enough for a yearly charge to cover the cost of a new Rolls Royce, they would replace it with this. And only good for one year, so I am taking the risk.

Feel like I there was major structural damage to my vehicle, would settle this in a court of law, stating the entire unibody has to be replaced. Or just get another vehicle, with insurance companies, it all depends upon the amount of the claim. They try to get by as cheap as possible.

But the design of these vehicles is to protect you and your family and is placed first before even attempting to repair such a vehicle. Ha, over the years, can't even count that high the number of vehicles I have been through. The fact that you were not hurt is the most important thing.

If you want to talk about extremely outrageous repair cost, the cost of medical expenses can exceed the cost of repairing a vehicle, by hundreds of times.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hadn't thought about mods yet. I drive for work so I need reliability and economy.
I don't want to do anything that will void my warranty but i would like a
CAI and a Cat-back eventually.
I have an old Camaro for my speed addiction if anything
that's were I spend money on mods.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Cat back won't do anything, but some mods are necessary, fog lamps so you can see around corners, splash shields so you don't get stone chips all over your lower body, rubberized floor mats if living in road salt country, sill plates so you don't mar that paint. Did add side moldings to mine as well, does help with other car doors, but worthless with pickup trucks and SUV's.

Buying a Sandisk Cruzer fit flash drive is the easier way to enjoy MP3's.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We must come from different era's bc nothing you listed would be considered modding to me, that's all just dress up.

The LTZ comes with fogs lamps so i'm already set there. Where can I get splash guards that work with the RS package? The dealer installed ones won't fit.
Definitely looking at some Weathertech mats as I do have kids. What kind of side moldings did you get? any pics? I drive a lot and got lots of dings from rocks off trucks on the highway and
open doors in parking lots on my last car. I'd like to try to minimize that this time around. Any decent bumper bra's available for the Cruze? I am thinking of getting the ambient lighting and lighted door sills from GM don't know were to get them other then the dealer yet though. How big of a flash drive will the car handle. The Jetta use a sd card. Can I put playlist files(Supported formats?) on there or is it just a random play. I have tons of 8 gig sticks around bc I use them for work and that's what they supply me with.

I'd like to add a little power but don't want or need the power of a trifecta tune or the like gives.
The GM stage kit would almost get me were I'd like the power to be, but I just can't see spending that much unless it was for the power numbers I am looking for
which is closer to 20hp/20-25ft right about the middle of the GM tune/exhaust and a trifecta tune. Just to get it to stop being such a dog especially with the AC on.

Thanks for the welcome and input.
And thanks for serving

·
Registered
53 Posts
Where can I get splash guards that work with the RS package? The dealer installed ones won't fit.

And thanks for serving
I have a 2014 2LT RS and I purchased the RallySport universal mud flaps for around $30 and the front ones are really easy to put on. The rear ones you will have to work a little harder on.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts