Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys my name is Christian, I'm a Royal Marines Commando from the UK.

i have a Vauxhall Corsa 1.4 turbo (same engine as the Cruze you guys have)

im currently running 240hp with

FMIC
intake
stage 3 clutch
uprated turbo
uprated injectors
exhaust

interested to see what performance mods you guys are using and seeing if the US does forged internals as I want to break the magic "300hp" mark.

anyway HI!!!!

·
2,170 Posts
Welcome to the community!

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Welcome CruzeTalk.

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Ha, actual dynamometer HP or based on advertiser claims? Little 86 CID is designed for fuel economy, small displacement, high winding engine, also with some thoughts for long term reliability.

Really not bad pushing a 3,300 empty weight vehicle with 0-60 mph times in the low 8 second range, with 240 HP, should be cutting this down to the high 5 second range with using a dynamometer, what are your times?

Stock turbo outputs as high as 35 PSI, but this is peak, can't be measured with an analog gauge, bounces all over the place, uses a restrictor to measure average. Need an electronic pressure test and a calibrated oscilloscope for peak, what is your pressures?

ECU controls the dwell of the fuel injectors to maintain the proper stochiometric AF ratio, larger fuel injectors would decrease the dwell. Running richer has the effect of toasting the cat.

Major performance problems is unleaded gas with a super high combustion temperature, to clam things down, the exhaust valves are closed early to keep combusted fuel in the compression stroke to cool things down. Can be as high as 30%, so in effect that 86 CID engine is more like a 60 CID engine so more like 2.3 HP per cube.

Meth would do the same thing, we discussed this back in the 60's using water injection instead of EGR, very common in WW II aircraft, but considered to complicated for the average person, so went to EGR. By adding, exhaust valves would still close early, so no gains, have to rewrite the firmware.

Air intake and exhaust are more than ample for this tiny 86 cube engine, only difference is more noise. Cruze added a lot of insulation to cut down noise, this can be removed to save a couple of pounds and also give you more noise if this is what you want.

Using the highest octane fuel you can buy, increases the combustion cycle resulting in better performance and fuel economy.

Back in the the 50's was a joy to dump a large V-8 in a 48 coupe, was legal, insurance companies didn't care. But this was not enough, also had to modify the drivetrain, suspension, and brakes to handle it, or you will end up with a deathtrap. Doing this with the Cruze will certainly add to complexity in a unibody vehicle. Really not designed for more HP.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts