Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, so I am new to the forum and I am only looking to buy my first 2014 Cruze. I found this really nice 2014 at a nice price and with small mileage. But I know it would be stupid not to check the car history first. I entered the VIN into carfax and it says there are 14 records listed. But I have heard so many unflattering things about Carfax lately. I also found another site that seems to be basically the same reports for 1/4 the cost (https://www.epicvin.com/en/vin-1G1PG5SB4E7381493?fromwidget=1) anyone familiar with this company?
Thanks in advance!

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,264 Posts
Welcome to the cruze talk Be cool stay cozy keep ahh cruzen when ya buy 1 and Best Wishes with yer question !

write out the print out from car fax so we will get a better picture of your querry .

·
Premium Member
7,715 Posts
But I have heard so many unflattering things about Carfax lately.
Like what? I don't think I've heard anything about bad information in the records they do have. But one of the problems is that they won't have what hasn't been reported - so there may be information missing. In other words, problems of omission, not problems of false information. It's not really Carfax's fault since they can't be all-knowing. They have to go by what's been reported.

Given the size of the investment you're looking at, why not do both?

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
This is a used car and a lot depends on whom you are buying the car from, new car dealer with remaining bumper to bumper warranty on it, used car dealers that I don't trust period, or a private seller. Was it a rental? Kind of stay away from these, very poor maintenance, and usually pounded to dead even on the first few miles. A good dealer will show you all the maintenance records, and previous owner/s, car this new should only be one. Does it have a salvage title? Are their liens on this title?

In my state buying from a new car dealer, get three days to keep it without obligation and do my own inspecting, checking tires, and brake wear, PT play, can pretty much tell how it is driven, also all fluids, even a compression and oil pressure test with a real gauge, my own ears, and eyes. And with low mileage, really question why this vehicle is for sale.

In regards for good deals, in my neck of the woods, all the car dealers are packed with new and used vehicles, sales are way down, so a good time to buy.

Don't fool with carfax or others, just reported information, for damage, stoop down and check the sides for any wrinkles and different shade of paint. Look all over the underneath of the car with a close inspection in the trunk, under the hood, and the interior for any tear, missing or broken parts.

If you have a good mechanic, can pay to have him check over everything. In my long history of buying used vehicles getting seven kids through college, found private sellers to be the worst, and you have no comeback. Did find a couple of good cars, sellers were tired of people coming over without any money, Would have a stack of hundred dollars bills and flash them, and make a low offer.

Ha, this even works with new car dealers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
This is a used car and a lot depends on whom you are buying the car from, new car dealer with remaining bumper to bumper warranty on it, used car dealers that I don't trust period (Not all used car dealers are awful, very big generalization), or a private seller. Was it a rental? Kind of stay away from these, very poor maintenance, and usually pounded to dead even on the first few miles. A good dealer will show you all the maintenance records (If they have them. Consumer/Dealer records are a private business transaction and aren't required to be disclosed), and previous owner/s, car this new should only be one. Does it have a salvage title? Are their liens on this title?

In my state buying from a new car dealer, get three days to keep it without obligation and do my own inspecting (Is that a law or expectation in Wisconsin? It may not be in most/all states.) checking tires, and brake wear, PT play, can pretty much tell how it is driven, also all fluids, even a compression and oil pressure test with a real gauge, my own ears, and eyes (your own ears and eyes are subjective, as they may not know as much). And with low mileage, really question why this vehicle is for sale (Lots of reasons. Previous owner didn't like it, made more money and moved up, lease vehicle, couldn't afford it).

In regards for good deals, in my neck of the woods, all the car dealers are packed with new and used vehicles, sales are way down (you have actual stats?), so a good time to buy.

Don't fool with carfax or others, just reported information (As opposed to what other solid infomation? Minus speaking to a previous owner/test drive), for damage, stoop down and check the sides for any wrinkles and different shade of paint. Look all over the underneath of the car with a close inspection in the trunk, under the hood, and the interior for any tear, missing or broken parts.

If you have a good mechanic, can pay to have him check over everything. In my long history of buying used vehicles getting seven kids through college (what does getting kids through college have to do with buying a used car?), found private sellers to be the worst (extreme generalization), and you have no comeback. Did find a couple of good cars, sellers were tired of people coming over without any money, Would have a stack of hundred dollars bills and flash them(cool story), and make a low offer (...lowballer).

Ha, this even works with new car dealers.

Not trying to start anything, but trust your gut when buying a car. Looking at the history report, and doing a good test drive will really give you the vibe of the car. If you have any other questions, getting it professionally inspected should answer those questions. Good luck, and happy buying!

·
Registered
574 Posts
I searched my car for shits and giggles. It also said I had 14 reports. Either it is the recalls and complaints, or they just say that amount to make you pay for it. Or our cars just happen to have the same amount of reports. Can anyone else please put your vin into carfax and see what it says. Just to see. I feel like it is the recalls/complaints.

·
Premium Member
7,715 Posts
Can anyone else please put your vin into carfax and see what it says. Just to see. I feel like it is the recalls/complaints.
18 for me. But if you want to get an idea, use Carfax to look at used cars in your area - you'll get a free Carfax report. I pulled up one that had 10 entries, but noticed that the first owner was a "rental or fleet". So it's not about the number but what's on the report.

"Number of owners" seems to be a bit misleading since it appears the "new owner" is a car dealer.

It's sure making me feel better about the price I paid for my car. They're offering a white 1LT for $600 more than I paid for my black LTZ about 6 month ago.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Ha, can get all this information for free.

• Vehicle registration
  • Frame/structural damage
  • Title information
    including salvaged or junked titles
  • Accident indicators
    such as airbag deployment
  • Odometer readings
  • Service and repair information
  • Lemon history
  • Vehicle usage (taxi, rental, lease, etc.)
  • Total loss accident history
  • Recall information
So why pay for it?

If this car looks like this, could be a minor hint as to its history.

·
Super Moderator
4,947 Posts
If you are really interested, take the car to a non affiliated mechanic(if buying from a dealer) and have them check the car out bumper to bumper. Money better spent than trusting some website that produces a report that seems credible. If the dealer/seller won't let you take the car elsewhere, there is probably a problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts