Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
New here, been lurking for awhile

Hey there guys. I got a 2012 Chevy Cruze LT back in October 2015 with 34,000 miles after driving a 1996 Oldsmobile Cutlass Cierra for almost 10 years.

My car is kind of a copperish color. When it is sunny out it looks more orange than it does in the pictures that I have. I have come to love my Cruze and am excited to see all that this forum has to offer! I am wanting to look into the car audio next hopefully. I figured it was finally time to say hi after lurking for so long!

Here are some pictures (Fresh off the lot, the next 3 are after I got it wrapped):

NewCruze.jpg CruzeFront.jpg Cruze rear.png CruzeSide.jpg

·
Administrator
25,600 Posts
Welcome and well done. We have a monthly Cruze of the Month contest. You should enter.

·
2,168 Posts

·
2,254 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

x3, you should enter COTM. Awesome looking Cruze.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,295 Posts
Welcome to the cruze talk Be cool stay cozy keep cruzen and Best Wishes !

Autumn Mist ?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the warm welcomes everyone! I will definitely check out the COTM thread. It looks like my Cruze is the Autumn Mist color after googling that color. I've had kind of a hard time finding any info about it and I haven't seen in any in the same color in my area :(. It looks a lot better under the sun IMO. I am wanting to add fog lights as well. I will have to get some better pictures in the next week or so!

·
Registered
506 Posts
Wow, I drove a 1996 Oldsmobile Ciera, albeit years ago in college. I also purchased my Cruze with about the same mileage. How many miles did you rack up on your Oldsmobile? Did it suffer from that all to well known lower intake manifold leak?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow, I drove a 1996 Oldsmobile Ciera, albeit years ago in college. I also purchased my Cruze with about the same mileage. How many miles did you rack up on your Oldsmobile? Did it suffer from that all to well known lower intake manifold leak?
I got it with around 55,000 and retired it with ~110k. I didn't really have too many issues with it. The brake lines went out after I had to replace the muffler and get some other new things on it, so at that point I just decided to get a newer vehicle since I am driving 500-600 miles a week until this July. I'm at 47,000 on my Cruze right now. I am hoping it will last me for awhile once I am done commuting this year. Knock on wood lol :p

·
Registered
306 Posts
Welcome Welcome :eek:ccasion14:

Sweet ride! Love the unique color theme. Did you do the vinyl wrap around the back of each panel? Or apply, form, and cut?

Love it :eusa_clap: Any performance or audio mods?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Welcome Welcome :eek:ccasion14:

Sweet ride! Love the unique color theme. Did you do the vinyl wrap around the back of each panel? Or apply, form, and cut?

Love it :eusa_clap: Any performance or audio mods?
Thank you! I believe it was applied, formed, and cut. I had a professional do it. I do not have any performance or audio mods yet. I probably won't do any performance mods for the foreseeable future, but I would love to put a touchscreen stereo in along with a sound system that sounds nice. Nothing overkill, but something that sounds good. I'm hoping I can get something like that for around/under $1000. My dad and I installed some audio systems in our older cars, but I'd prefer to have a professional do it on my Cruze since I'm a trial-by-fire type of guy lol. I'm going to be looking around in the coming weeks. I may end up doing it myself

·
Registered
306 Posts
Thank you! I believe it was applied, formed, and cut. I had a professional do it. I do not have any performance or audio mods yet. I probably won't do any performance mods for the foreseeable future, but I would love to put a touchscreen stereo in along with a sound system that sounds nice. Nothing overkill, but something that sounds good. I'm hoping I can get something like that for around/under $1000. My dad and I installed some audio systems in our older cars, but I'd prefer to have a professional do it on my Cruze since I'm a trial-by-fire type of guy lol. I'm going to be looking around in the coming weeks. I may end up doing it myself
You're welcome man, love wrapped cars!!
Yeah vinyl wrapping is pretty tough without training, getting it to flex with pressure and heat and around tough areas takes a lot of time too.
I think the 3M training course is like 3 weeks I believe?

As for the sound system, if you get good deals on the parts it's certainly possible to get a relatively decent (this is subjective of course though) system with cabin speakers and subwoofer amplified, perhaps a stretch though if you have a professional shop do the whole thing, wiring the 4channels of speakers takes a good amount longer than just adding a subwoofer with a dedicated amp for it, so generally a shop will charge a sizable penny, and this is with your wanting of a touchscreen head unit, as that part also needs some other parts (interface/harnesses, steering wheel button control, dash kit, etc).

Some shops will cheap out on the install with low quality/gauge wiring and a hack n slap "mickey mouse" install, just FYI, always good to do some research like on yelp or wherever you can for reviews on the shops in your area.

Let me know what your thoughts are and what you want the most out of your system and I'll be happy to give my input :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
You're welcome man, love wrapped cars!!
Yeah vinyl wrapping is pretty tough without training, getting it to flex with pressure and heat and around tough areas takes a lot of time too.
I think the 3M training course is like 3 weeks I believe?

As for the sound system, if you get good deals on the parts it's certainly possible to get a relatively decent (this is subjective of course though) system with cabin speakers and subwoofer amplified, perhaps a stretch though if you have a professional shop do the whole thing, wiring the 4channels of speakers takes a good amount longer than just adding a subwoofer with a dedicated amp for it, so generally a shop will charge a sizable penny, and this is with your wanting of a touchscreen head unit, as that part also needs some other parts (interface/harnesses, steering wheel button control, dash kit, etc).

Some shops will cheap out on the install with low quality/gauge wiring and a hack n slap "mickey mouse" install, just FYI, always good to do some research like on yelp or wherever you can for reviews on the shops in your area.

Let me know what your thoughts are and what you want the most out of your system and I'll be happy to give my input :)

It definitely looks tough after watching some videos. I wish I had an extra vehicle to try it on for fun in my spare time or something. That'd be a fun project.

It looks like I just need some new, quality speakers for my front, rear, and deck in addition to the new receiver to achieve what I need. I am wanting the Pioneer AVH-X2700BS receiver. I just need good speakers to go with it that don't cost a fortune if possible. Will I need an amp if i want to replace the front, rear, and deck speakers? The guy from Crutchfield made it seem like I didn't. I don't want anything too aggressive, I just want good, clean sound when I turn up the volume a bit. If you have any suggestions I'd love to hear them!

Here are some pictures I took today that show the color my car a bit better. The sun was actually shining for once (I will be removing the sticker on my lower rear bumper that i keep removing soon :p):

CruzeRearSun.jpg CruzeRearSun2.jpg CruzeFrontDads.jpg CruzeRearColorShow.jpg

·
Super Moderator
7,736 Posts
What motor did you have in your cutlas? My uncle had one from about that vintage with a 3.3 in it.

·
Registered
306 Posts
It definitely looks tough after watching some videos. I wish I had an extra vehicle to try it on for fun in my spare time or something. That'd be a fun project.

It looks like I just need some new, quality speakers for my front, rear, and deck in addition to the new receiver to achieve what I need. I am wanting the Pioneer AVH-X2700BS receiver. I just need good speakers to go with it that don't cost a fortune if possible. Will I need an amp if i want to replace the front, rear, and deck speakers? The guy from Crutchfield made it seem like I didn't. I don't want anything too aggressive, I just want good, clean sound when I turn up the volume a bit. If you have any suggestions I'd love to hear them!

Here are some pictures I took today that show the color my car a bit better. The sun was actually shining for once (I will be removing the sticker on my lower rear bumper that i keep removing soon :p):

View attachment 183993 View attachment 184001 View attachment 184009 View attachment 184017

Yeah man that color is really nice. I could snap some sweet ass pics of your ride if you were local, I take a lot of pictures of modded cars around here.

Anyways, you do NOT need an amplifier to just replace the speakers; the aftermarket Pioneer head unit has a very light powered amplifier in it, but if you are looking for a real difference that will sound like an aftermarket system, then an external amplifier is highly recommended. I actually personally recommend amplifying the stock speakers over just replacing them. They will be a lot louder and thus sound like different speakers. But ideally obviously the best way is to amp and change them out.

I highly recommend reading @XtremeRevolutions Sound Quality thread in the audio and electronics section of the forum. His guide goes into much detail into what you can get for the money and what you will need.

But no, you do not NEED an amp to replace the speakers. Replacing them with a good brand like Kenwood (component set with crossovers in front, and either both sets of coaxials in the rear/deck or one set) in the $150 range for front and $100 for coax, you'll definitely notice a difference in terms of quality, depth, and frequency range, but they really won't sound much louder than what you currently have with the Pioneer HU (which is a relatively good choice btw). Personally I would spend that money on an amplifier, since you can wire it straight to your HU and don't need an interface and all that.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
What motor did you have in your cutlas? My uncle had one from about that vintage with a 3.3 in it.
I believe it had the 3.1L V6 in it

Yeah man that color is really nice. I could snap some sweet ass pics of your ride if you were local, I take a lot of pictures of modded cars around here.

Anyways, you do NOT need an amplifier to just replace the speakers; the aftermarket Pioneer head unit has a very light powered amplifier in it, but if you are looking for a real difference that will sound like an aftermarket system, then an external amplifier is highly recommended. I actually personally recommend amplifying the stock speakers over just replacing them. They will be a lot louder and thus sound like different speakers. But ideally obviously the best way is to amp and change them out.

I highly recommend reading @XtremeRevolutions Sound Quality thread in the audio and electronics section of the forum. His guide goes into much detail into what you can get for the money and what you will need.

But no, you do not NEED an amp to replace the speakers. Replacing them with a good brand like Kenwood (component set with crossovers in front, and either both sets of coaxials in the rear/deck or one set) in the $150 range for front and $100 for coax, you'll definitely notice a difference in terms of quality, depth, and frequency range, but they really won't sound much louder than what you currently have with the Pioneer HU (which is a relatively good choice btw). Personally I would spend that money on an amplifier, since you can wire it straight to your HU and don't need an interface and all that.
I wish I was good at taking pictures or had a quality camera! That is something I have never gotten into or had an interest in. I love quality photos though. I'll send you a PM with the cart that I'm looking to purchase if you don't mind taking a look at it :). I won't be buying anything for a couple of weeks, so no rush in the least bit if you're willing to take a look!

Also: Should I be running premium (high octane) gas in my 2012 cruze LT? It has the 1.4L turbo. I've seen posts going both ways. I have no problem paying the extra bit. There is a Shell station 2 blocks down the road from me. Any input would be great and appreciated :O

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I just filled up (from **** near empty... forgot about the lack of available gas stations on my commute home) with 93 octane from my local Shell. I will be doing this for awhile to see if I notice a difference. It seems like I accelerate from a dead stop a lot more smoothly than I did with unleaded.

I'm probably just imagining things, but ironically enough that has been one of the things that has bothered me the most about my car.

Side note: Heavily considering lowering on Eibach's once the weather gets nicer. Winters here are surprisingly brutal, so I'm not sure how that would work come winter time. I'd be able to have them installed for free, so the price is right otherwise, I'm just not sure how feasible it will be.

·
2,168 Posts
When I first got my car, I was just used to putting 87 in the Cobalt, no one told me I should really be using 91+ in the Cruze. I complained about the acceleration until I switched now it feels very different. Not necessarily more powerful but I noticed I didn't have to get as hard into the gas to maintain speed, and it didn't lug as much. I seem to get better gas mileage too. I've bought Shell/Exxon/BP 93 ever since.

Boring stuff:
Turbo engines compress air which causes it to heat up, the inter-cooler helps a bit, but ours is sandwiched in between the coolant radiator and the A/C radiator. This compressed warmish air is mixed with fuel then sent into the engine and compressed by the cylinders. 87 octane has a tenancy to "pre-detonate" which means it could explode early during the upstroke of the piston due to the heat and high compression. 93 Octane will resist pre-detonation or pinging until the spark plug ignites it. The Cruze has sensors that monitor pinging. Then it uses computers and the dual continuous variable cam phasing to adjust timing to get the most out of what it's given.

Side Note: 3.1L V6 For the win! (I secretly wanted the GTP with the 3.8L supercharged engine instead....)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you for that info! That was great help.

I am very curious to see my mileage after using 93 Octane a handful of times. I did my normal 130 mile commute today and it took up a bit over a quarter of a tank of gas,which is a bit more than normal. I know that doesn't mean much though. The difference in acceleration and overall smoothness is absolutely incredible. I'd have to give it a decent amount of gas to stay at mid-high speeds and it never felt consistent, but it seems so much more smooth and easy now. We'll see how it goes!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts