Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey people,

Like I said, my wife just bought a brand new Cruze hatchback 6A in graphite metallic (great color), light interior. Really, really cool car. I'm most impressed with the seats, most comfortable car seats I've ever sat in, not exaggerating. It's like they have an inch of mattress topper. I really liked the 1st gen, which had pretty good seats itself, but the 2nd gen is a homerun.

I'm a Chevy/GM guy myself. I drive a 2017 Chevy SS sedan with a manual trans. My last car was a 2009 Malibu 3.6L/6A with functional intake I made and tune that I wrote with HPTuners, it ran low 14s and still pulled 30 mpg highway. That was a very underrated midsize car, serenely quiet and drove great with the V6 package. I'm actually a super mod over at the Malibu forum.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had a good no-drill front license plate solution for the 2nd gen? I wasn't getting any good hits with the search.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the cruze. no help with the plate bracket here mine was installed at the dealer drilled and rivited

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Wife loves the car, came out of a Cobalt Sport 2.4L/4A with 140,000 miles (she put 110k on it herself).

It makes me nauseous putting front tags on our cars at all because it looks terrible, much less drilling permanent holes. We plan to move out of state in a few years where front tags aren't required. I would like to simply be able to take off temporary brackets and leave the grilles no worse for wear.

·
Super Moderator
5,165 Posts

·
10,712 Posts
Welcome to the forums. Most I seen in Maryland was front tow hook relocation kits or folding the plate to where only the characters were shown to fit the space of the bumper neatly. Not sure how legal the 2nd option was. Patman's idea seems better.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Nice Cruze, but that SS steals the show!! Bad ass car, could you give any more info on the SS? opinions or anything please and thanks!
You asked for it, I'm obviously happy to oblige. It's my daily driver.

I'd been drooling over the SS since the 2016 mild refresh came out, because it seems like they tweaked everything exactly how I would have built the car from GM's goodies bag. For 2017, they added nightfall gray (one of my favorite colors) and I was ready to sell my soul for it. Thought I had missed my chance when orders ended and production was about to be over. Then in late April, I found an abandoned customer order exactly as I would have ordered it (nightfall, 6-speed manual, no sunroof, full size spare) and drove 100 miles in the beginning of May to buy it. Wife was not pleased, but she's getting over it.

The car is the monster from under the bed in a tailored suit. I have a sleeper fetish, so the Malibu/Impala comparisons don't bother me at all.

I tend to leave it in sport mode (exhaust open, tighter steering and magnetic ride) and it's not punishing or harsh at all. Tour mode eliminates any drone for the highway by closing the exhaust and it floats along nicely while never feeling like a boat. The seats (heated and cooled) are on the firm side of comfortable, they've never made my back ache (which is important). The EPS is phenomenal, and I don't mean *for electric steering*, I mean the steering is excellent bar none. Brakes (4 piston front and rear brembos) do their job nicely, best pedal feel I've experienced.

The TR6060 manual is fun. It actually prefers being shifted over 3000 rpm, which is dangerous, haha. I'm told the SS sedan is the best shifter feel GM sells. The LS3 is rated 415 hp/415 tq, but that was certified prior to dual mode exhaust so it's probably 420+. I'm not a monster horsepower junkie. I'd pick a Corvette GS over the Z06, and the fastest car I'd want to own is an ATS-V coupe. This car has a great balance of usable performance from factory. Most I'd do to it is intake, ported throttle body, maybe ported intake manifold, and a tune. Exhaust note is perfect, which you can see below, I'm not putting an aftermarket exhaust on this car.

Fuel economy is holding steady at 17 mpg mostly city. I got 24.5 mpg on the 100 mile drive home on the highway. EPA rating is 14/22 (which cost me a $1000 guzzler tax).

Took this video the day after buying to show off the dual mode exhaust in the "open" position.

·
Registered
294 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Super Moderator
5,165 Posts
I actually saw one here in Ohio with a plate and it turns out the bracket mounts to the plastic at the top of the and bottom of the grill in the middle below the bowtie. The dealer should take care of this esp if you are in a 2 plate state. I would have taken a pic but the owner of the car I saw was in the car and parked illegally so proceeded to yell and scream at me for taking a pic of her car and left probably afraid I would have sent her a ticket for illegal parking.

·
Premium Member
5,638 Posts
Talking about a 2 plate state the CRUZE shouldn't cost $15 more. I bought in a one plate state and still got a bracket, go figure.

As a kid on the mean streets of Los Angeles I got a ticket for displaying a front plate and a Mopar plate under that, similar to this. Grew up with great disrespect for the LAPD!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I actually saw one here in Ohio with a plate and it turns out the bracket mounts to the plastic at the top of the and bottom of the grill in the middle below the bowtie. The dealer should take care of this esp if you are in a 2 plate state. I would have taken a pic but the owner of the car I saw was in the car and parked illegally so proceeded to yell and scream at me for taking a pic of her car and left probably afraid I would have sent her a ticket for illegal parking.
You're saying it's a no-drill plate mount?

·
Super Moderator
5,165 Posts
i dont know. I guess I could be clamped onto the top of the grill area. Actually I could see some difficulty withdrilling so it is probably clamped on somehow you have to see the bracket it self I can't tell without seeing it as I said the dealer should take care of it they may charge you for the bracket but they'll install for free if you bought the car there

·
Registered
458 Posts
Hey people,

Like I said, my wife just bought a brand new Cruze hatchback 6A in graphite metallic (great color), light interior. Really, really cool car. I'm most impressed with the seats, most comfortable car seats I've ever sat in, not exaggerating. It's like they have an inch of mattress topper. I really liked the 1st gen, which had pretty good seats itself, but the 2nd gen is a homerun.

I'm a Chevy/GM guy myself. I drive a 2017 Chevy SS sedan with a manual trans. My last car was a 2009 Malibu 3.6L/6A with functional intake I made and tune that I wrote with HPTuners, it ran low 14s and still pulled 30 mpg highway. That was a very underrated midsize car, serenely quiet and drove great with the V6 package. I'm actually a super mod over at the Malibu forum.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had a good no-drill front license plate solution for the 2nd gen? I wasn't getting any good hits with the search.
Thanks for the response and the detail! I really like your car and I wish I could afford one lol but for now, I will admire others SS's

·
Registered
103 Posts
Welcome and love the new sedan SS! I tried my luck against a mildly modded auto 16' SS a couple months ago, from a stop light, and got beat. He got me by a car...It was depressing. I get beat by modded sedans like the SRT Charger, SS, V8 5 series BMW, and AMGs just about every time I try to line up against them. Wish I would of been more patient and got the lighter 6th gen. Maybe when I get it paid off...

Reactions: cp-the-nerd
1 - 20 of 25 Posts