Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

New to the forum. We just purchased a 2013 Chevy Cruze LS. It came with 2 keys and the valet key.
The second remote does not work. I opened the battery compartment and it had corroded. I cleaned it
out and replaced with a new battery, no luck. Took it completely apart and cleaned everything, no luck.
Any suggestions on other fixes? If not what is the best replacement method? Dealer? Aftermarket?

Thank You

·
Registered
189 Posts
Hello

New to the forum. We just purchased a 2013 Chevy Cruze LS. It came with 2 keys and the valet key.
The second remote does not work. I opened the battery compartment and it had corroded. I cleaned it
out and replaced with a new battery, no luck. Took it completely apart and cleaned everything, no luck.
Any suggestions on other fixes? If not what is the best replacement method? Dealer? Aftermarket?

Thank You
I don't know if this works or not but it's worth a try.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIpp4cMv--c

·
Registered
189 Posts

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Ha, had used car I purchased for my last kid going to college only had one remote. If the dealer wanted the cash I had in my hand, had to provide the second one, he did.

You can replace your old key in that new remote, even program it yourself, instructions are in the owners manual. Or visit your dealer if purchased from one, if private, dead meat.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I guess it would be best to just buy a new FOB from the dealer and then I can swap my already cut key onto the new FOB and then use the above video to program it.
Has anyone ever tried an aftermarket FOB?

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
You might check and see if the car will let you add the key. Maybe things are out of sync and it just has to be re-programmed. I'd certainly try before forking out the bucks for a replacement.

·
Registered
189 Posts
You might check and see if the car will let you add the key. Maybe things are out of sync and it just has to be re-programmed. I'd certainly try before forking out the bucks for a replacement.
I agree with ChevyGuy. The key may just need to be reprogrammed. You have nothing to loose if it doesn't work.

·
Registered
56 Posts
here's a 4 button one
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0089KMSR6

there is a 5 button one available as well.

$20 for the fob, you already have the key so just swap you existing key into the new fob. program the new fob to your car (search here but i think it's as simple as start car with old key, turn off, remove key, insert new key and start car within 10 seconds and the fob will sync... something like that).

if you need a key cut, a dealer is probably best. when i called hardware stores - those that could cut center cut keys wanted crazy $$$ to do it ($75 - $100). the dealer was actually the cheapest (like $30). when i got there, the service guy asked if i bought my cars there (i've bought 2 from them), he cut it for free.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts