Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey yall, i had to order a new key off line, mine went through the washer and dryer somehow. Anyway got the new key and got it cut, but it wont turn the ignition. The pattern on the key looks different than the master, and there is no function on the master, unlock buttons or anything. So is the key cut wrong or is there something i am missing. A couple different sites told me to put the key in the transmitter slot but i have no clue where that would be. Any help. :icon_scratch:

·
Registered
635 Posts
Hey yall, i had to order a new key off line, mine went through the washer and dryer somehow. Anyway got the new key and got it cut, but it wont turn the ignition. The pattern on the key looks different than the master, and there is no function on the master, unlock buttons or anything. So is the key cut wrong or is there something i am missing. A couple different sites told me to put the key in the transmitter slot but i have no clue where that would be. Any help. :icon_scratch:
A guy at my local dealer told me the key fobs, that's the black box that had the buttons on it actually sendsome anew electrical signal through the Jay, read by the computer so the car knows the key belongs to it, I would assume if he's correct the "transmitter" would have a way of programming the fob to send the particular signal your car is looking for, does this new key have buttons on it, and If so does the car respond to the buttons

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
635 Posts
Something online says to take the old key and insert into cars ignition, take the new key and put it into the drivers door and turn to the unlock position 5 times in 10 seconds, if you're key is cut incorrectly then it won't work.

There's also a good chance that the online info is horse crap, but it doesn't sound like it's too bad of a procedure lol. I try not to trust everything I read online, I would try changing the bttery, you remove the back cp but opening the key and posing it out with the lip thy the key used to sit on

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the new key will unlock the door, manually. none of the buttons work. what i cant figure out is why the key will unlock the door, but wont turn the ignition.

·
Registered
635 Posts
the new key will unlock the door, manually. none of the buttons work. what i cant figure out is why the key will unlock the door, but wont turn the ignition.
Well that's cause it needs to be programmed to the car, I'm not 100% on how that's done without the dealer service and the price that comes with, if it unlocks the door it's cut correctly, try the battery swap with the new to the old, the washer machine could have just shorted the battery to ****, mines gone through the machine a dozen times and still works mint. If those few things I suggested don't work, I'm confident you need dealer tools to program the fob transmitter the the cars reliever frequency

·
Premium Member
733 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks eveyone, so to sum it up the key is cut correctly and needs to be programmed before it will start the car. Done a couple of the youtube videos and no go there, will try cevy countrys idear next. When i find a solution that works i will let yall know. Thanks :th_dblthumb2:

·
Registered
635 Posts
Thanks eveyone, so to sum it up the key is cut correctly and needs to be programmed before it will start the car. Done a couple of the youtube videos and no go there, will try cevy countrys idear next. When i find a solution that works i will let yall know. Thanks :th_dblthumb2:
I'm not too optimistic that chevy would make it so easy, they tend to do whatever they can to have you go to dealer, but **** it's worth a go for maybe 60 seconds of time and for free lol, the key in the car needs to be in the ignition switch.

I that doesn't work out would honestly change the battery and try the fob again, if the new key came with a good battery you can swap that out and you should be able to start your car again lol

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think i found the transponder, its to the right of the shifter and up a litte but honestly it looks pretty useless. Second hand i have seen a lot of videos that say all of the cruze is easy to program, but im not factoring in my luck in that equation. Knowing my luck i will pay someone 40 bucks to start my car.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Have you checked the owner book--seems it was a matter of putting good key in then new key, could have been another car I had a spare made for but do remember my 2013 had no slot and it involved just the keys

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
and there is no function on the master, unlock buttons or anything.
So is the new key very different from the old one? I'm thinking they sent you a "fob". Maybe you're used a simpler key. Either way, I'm sure the car has to programmed to recognize the new key.

I'm not too optimistic that chevy would make it so easy, they tend to do whatever they can to have you go to dealer, but **** it's worth a go for maybe 60 seconds of time and for free lol, the key in the car needs to be in the ignition switch.
Well, in this case it shouldn't be too easy - it's to keep people from adding another key and then stealing your car.

Have you checked the owner book--seems it was a matter of putting good key in then new key, could have been another car I had a spare made for but do remember my 2013 had no slot and it involved just the keys
The 2013 does list the procedure - for keyless models. Since OP is trying to "turn" the ignition, I don't think his is keyless.

Reactions: Merc6

·
Registered
46 Posts
The process is something like what Chevy_country mentioned . I don't remember the process but called the dealer to order one. He told me at the time. I believe you start it with the old key don't remember the next step but after you remove it insert the new key and it will program it. It wasn't complicated. Just call the dealer and the service dept will probably tell you.

·
10,712 Posts
OP, if the original key doesn't work you need dealer interaction. There is a chip inside the fob that needs to be close to the cylinder. For example if you take a working key and fold it down, that just enough to take the chip out of contact and the car won't start.

As for the hole in the center console, that is only for the LTZ and select Canadian 2LT with proximity keys/push button start configuration.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I think i found the transponder, its to the right of the shifter and up a litte but honestly it looks pretty useless. Second hand i have seen a lot of videos that say all of the cruze is easy to program, but im not factoring in my luck in that equation. Knowing my luck i will pay someone 40 bucks to start my car.
That's the shift lock for your transmission so it can be towed

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
On the second key it looks like the cut is different than the one that works. I read a post about what country was talking about, the old key in the ignition and the new key turn the door lock 5 times and something is supposed to come on your DIC, but my DIC just goes black and nothing happens. Only thing i can think of is that too many keys have been programed for the car and it needs to be cleared.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i hate to bring this up, but can someone explain this to me

Remove the plastic trim piecefrom the small storage area nextto the accessory power outlettowards the front of the console,to access the transmitter slot.

Im 100 percent sure the key wont turn because the grooves in the key dont match the cylinder, and without it being able to turn it cant be programed. Im just curious where this mystery transmitter port is.

·
10,712 Posts
i hate to bring this up, but can someone explain this to me

Remove the plastic trim piecefrom the small storage area nextto the accessory power outlettowards the front of the console,to access the transmitter slot.

Im 100 percent sure the key wont turn because the grooves in the key dont match the cylinder, and without it being able to turn it cant be programed. Im just curious where this mystery transmitter port is.
There is no pry the plastic on the models that have that feature. It's a loose rubber tray that comes up to expose that SLOT on push to start models. If you already pried that piece open, its just a HOLE and not a SLOT as pictured below.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks everyone. sorry for the cluster boraz just confused on why my manual was telling me to find it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts