Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, everyone. My name is Matthew. I have a 2011 Cruze LT with just under 60,000. Been driving this vehicle since around 51,000 and so far have had to replace water outlet and hoses on driver side due to massive coolant leak. Valve cover replaced due to the plastic piece that guides the oil filler cap shut breaking off and sitting up under an exhaust cam lobe (could be clearly seen just looking into fill hole). Now, I've noticed another leak on the passenger side of the engine. I have had coolant drip from that side intermittently but never much. A picture is attached to show the general area I am speaking of. Thank you all very much! :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Try to tighten that oil pan bolt and clean area with brake cleaner.

Reactions: mattillakk

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Right on. I'm pretty thankful for that bit too as we are the second owners of this vehicle and the time bit on the warranty got us.. the five year deal was up in June. Right under 60,000mi now. I know for sure that the water pump from time to time seeps. It doesn't do it all the time but every now and then, there will be a spot underneath that particular side of the engine in the morning. Attached to this reply are a couple new photos I took tonight looking down the block past the block in much the same general area. Nevertheless, even with all the issues we have run into I still love this little car.. :)

Well, it wouldn't let me upload those particular pictures for some reason so I have included a link below with the new pictures mentioned previously. My apologies..

Oil leak? - Cruze 1.4L Turbo - Chevrolet Cruze Forum

·
Registered
589 Posts
Right on. I'm pretty thankful for that bit too as we are the second owners of this vehicle and the time bit on the warranty got us.. the five year deal was up in June. Right under 60,000mi now.
The extended warranty on the water pump goes to 10 years or 150K. You should have about 4 more years on it.

·
Registered
280 Posts
That is not much compared to mine. I have a 13' model with about 68k miles on it. Mine has been covered in oil on that side for the last 25k miles. Does not drip on the ground, just keeps the oil pan wet on that side. Same thing on the tranny side, never drips, just stays wet. Never has caused me any issues. Valve cover leaks a little on mine also, but until it gets worse, I'm not going to worry about it.

·
Registered
589 Posts
That is not much compared to mine. I have a 13' model with about 68k miles on it. Mine has been covered in oil on that side for the last 25k miles. Does not drip on the ground, just keeps the oil pan wet on that side. Same thing on the tranny side, never drips, just stays wet. Never has caused me any issues. Valve cover leaks a little on mine also, but until it gets worse, I'm not going to worry about it.
Mine was the same way at 70K, I took it in to the dealer, they resealed the oil pan under the power train warranty.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Mine was the same way at 70K, I took it in to the dealer, they resealed the oil pan under the power train warranty.
May have to do that myself then. I will talk to my mechanic that works at the dealership who I let do all my warranty work, and see what he thinks.

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
Hi, everyone. My name is Matthew. I have a 2011 Cruze LT with just under 60,000. Been driving this vehicle since around 51,000 and so far have had to replace water outlet and hoses on driver side due to massive coolant leak. Valve cover replaced due to the plastic piece that guides the oil filler cap shut breaking off and sitting up under an exhaust cam lobe (could be clearly seen just looking into fill hole). Now, I've noticed another leak on the passenger side of the engine. I have had coolant drip from that side intermittently but never much. A picture is attached to show the general area I am speaking of. Thank you all very much! :)

Hi there mattillakk,

We're sorry to hear about this leak concern with your Cruze! Have you had it diagnosed yet? We would be more than happy to assist you in setting up a diagnosis at your dealership if that is something of interest. Or, if you send us a private message with your VIN, we can look into any recalls or service announcements relating to this that may be associated to your vehicle.

We look forward to hearing from you!

Chelsea D.
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
354 Posts
Nice oil pan leak! Thats not to bad tho.

I wouldn't try and mend it. This particular oil pan is tricky cause the frame is in the way, and your supposed to remove the crank pully. Otherwise your trying to wiggle it in place without smearing the sealing bead, its pretty awkward. Im tempted to get mine reseated by a professional with a proper lift.

Reactions: mattillakk

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Right on. I believe I will look into that. A friend has a shop just inside of town and does have lifts. He helped with the tranny flush/fill. As a matter of fact, he is the one who noticed the coolant leak (the first problem). What's more, the car never uses any oil between oil changes. Levels are always perfect! Could this leak have possibly staunched itself off, I wonder?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I must say that after all I've heard, read, and been warned off that I'm ever so thankful that it isn't something catastrophic. This should be an easy bit to take care of. :)

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Oil pan leaks are covered under your 100,000 mile 5 year powertrain warranty.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Right on.. we're the 2nd owners. Warranty out in june.. 5yr factor got us. Just under 60,000. :/

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
And.. the plot thickens! Had some errands to run today and noticed a little dribble on the ground underneath the passenger side of the car. Not a huge puddle.. but still dripping as shown in these pictures.

·
Registered
280 Posts
That is your water pump leaking. Need to get it to the dealer and get a new one installed. 10yr/150k mile warranty on water pumps. It will get much worse quick, so I would not drive it long without getting it fixed ASAP. You will run it hot. Make sure you keep an eye on your coolant reservoir, keep it topped off. Sure did look like an oil leak in your first pic. Could be that is just started leaking, and that is an oil leak in the first pic?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts