Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Just registered. I am going to look at a leftover 2014 CTD Monday. I've been thinking about trading in my 2014 Nissan 370Z base with no sport pkg for something a little more practical and cheaper. I also have 2002 Tahoe that I would be selling privately to reduce the stable size and budget.

I'm a bit hesitant because I don't want to regret giving up the fun of the Z, but at the same time the price/MPG/options on the Diesel are hard to beat. They are @ 21500 right now, and I think I could get them lower.

I'd like to hear some thoughts on what you guys think of the Cruze overall, and maybe some help pushing me one way or another. Thanks in advance!

Rlam

·
Registered
379 Posts
It's a big leap from a 370Z to a Cruze Diesel.

I drove my 3.6 Chrysler today and I found myself missing my Mazda's V6 power for a minute. Had to switch over to the MPG display to feel better

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a big leap from a 370Z to a Cruze Diesel.

I drove my 3.6 Chrysler today and I found myself missing my Mazda's V6 power for a minute. Had to switch over to the MPG display to feel better
I completey agree. That's why I'm here! Hoping more people who have made switches like this can chime in.

Thanks!

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Wife needed the Cruze yesterday, and I needed to take a long trip, so used my 88 Toyota Supra Turbo. Ha, really baby this thing always have since new. Time to get there was still the same, and kind of missed my mpg, and not being able to pair my phone with my radio. Did however listen to some cassettes I haven't for some time.

I passed three cop cars, no longer hook up my radar detector, but according to my GPS, was doing 57 mph, not easy to hit the mark on these older vehicles, but could feel the radar pulse bouncing off my nose. Apparently missed the forth cop car, but an SUV passed me like I was standing still. Caught up to him later with that 4th cop car writing out a speeding ticket.

Driving a car like this Supra can be awfully boring, feels like I am standing still, but had some old cassettes to entertain me and help kill the time. Getting a speeding ticket today, would really skyrocket your insurance cost, can't fight city hall.

And the fact that I have a car that can stop in 90 feet at 60 mph doesn't make any difference for speeding as opposed to a semi that can take well over 500 feet. 55 means 55.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks NickD, for the input. I feel differently about my Z. I tend to drive it like I stole it, and enjoy doing it. haha.

·
Lyrical Wordsmith
6,781 Posts
Performance wise you will always miss the V6 in your Z. However, some members do say they love the torque in the Cruze. Mostly they can vouch for it but as far as MPG you won't look back.

The Z tho... is it paid off? If so I'd keep it and wait till you sell your Tahoe to get the CTD. Then you will have the best of both worlds. Save gas in one and get tickets in the other :)

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,265 Posts
I traded my cruzen for a Mustang to get some Game ..

If I feel that urge to go real fast there is always a track that I can pay a few bucks to and relieve that urge . I pretty much stay with in the limits around town and on the Highways ..

As Danny has stated keep the Z . and try harder to put your moneys together for a cruze td .. your time your money your choice .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Performance wise you will always miss the V6 in your Z. However, some members do say they love the torque in the Cruze. Mostly they can vouch for it but as far as MPG you won't look back.

The Z tho... is it paid off? If so I'd keep it and wait till you sell your Tahoe to get the CTD. Then you will have the best of both worlds. Save gas in one and get tickets in the other :)
If i had the scratch to buy a 14 Z outright tHis wouldn't be a conversation! Haha. It really one or the other.

And Brian v, thanks!

·
Registered
747 Posts
As a guy who went from a big V6 (granted not as much horsepower as yours) to a gas Cruze and finally to a diesel Cruze, I can say I missed the V6 a whole lot more with the gas Cruze than I do with the diesel. The gas Cruze is a great car, but I am a huge fan of the low revving constant torque on the open road. The 1.4L gas Cruze has a great low-rev torque curve, but it just simply can't touch the raw torque numbers of the diesel. The diesel just starts to pull and keeps on pulling even at high speeds uphill. I can do 70 mph up a fairly long steep hill without even shifting.

Now as far as HP goes, well, you're in a whole different category there. Neither the gas Cruze nor the diesel will win any races, and I still notice the lack of horsepower compared to my old V6, but for the most part I don't miss the V6 anymore.

I don't miss the mileage from my old V6. Nowadays my average city mileage (32-33 mpg in all-city driving) which with my V6 was what I might get on a superb day for highway mileage. For highway mileage, the diesel still amazes me. I can easily drive all day long on a single tank.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts