Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My Perelli P7s are running down to about 3.5-4/32" now so I'm starting the new tire search. At this point they're starting to get slightly squirrely on the highway and not giving me the consistent feel they had earlier.

I'm looking for a good LRR tire that truly is LRR. A lot of the so-called LRR tires, once you start reading the reviews, are only LRR in comparison to other tires from the same manufacturer and frankly, really aren't that efficient. Perelli is out of running because the Chinese government bought the company about a year and a half ago. OK - it was a Chinese company but they did it with about 80% financing from the Chinese government. I won't knowingly purchase anything from China because of their proven lack of quality control.

I have also had absolutely horrible luck with Michelins - one OEM set of four and two aftermarket sets of four. All three sets handled the snow so poorly your typical radio flyer sled had more control.

Criteria in order
94V tire load/speed rating. This is the rating my car came with and while the 94 is slightly negotiable the V speed rating isn't.
Low rolling resistance - I picked the ECO MT for fuel economy
All weather summer handling
Snow/ice handling
Slush/frozen ruts

Short list:
Goodyear FuelMax Assurance (OEM & non-OEM)
Michelin Energy Saver A/S (OEM tires for the 2016 Volt, which reviewers apparently have liked and based on Wayne's Gerdes 100+ mile pure electric run are also fairly fuel efficient) - These don't appear to be available in 215/55 aspect ratio.
Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus
Continental PureContact with EcoPlus

Anyone else have suggestions based on my criteria? I'd like to pick these up in late March or early April so I get a few miles on them before Lordstown.

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
My only complaint about the OEM Goodyears Assurance Fuel Max tires is wet traction. Have you looked at the Continental TrueContact? They have very positive reviews, and they topped their TireRack test results in fuel economy by a significant margin. I've been leaning heavily towards them as replacements for my OEM Goodyears.

ContinentalÂ*TrueContact

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BowtieGuy,

I just checked those tires. If they were V speed rated I'd add them to my list. I don't want to drop below the OEM speed rating for my car. Yes, I'll probably never push even the T (112 MPH) rating, but speed and load ratings also assume that you're running the tire at max sidewall PSI and both drop off as you lower the pressure.

I should have made that note in my opening post.

·
Administrator
15,761 Posts
Mike,

I don't know if the Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus meets your criteria. It's a notably heavier tire than the OEM goodyear tire by about 6 pounds, but does have 12/32" of tread that likely explains that the weight difference, since the OE tires have only 9/32". I haven't really researched whether or not they are a true LRR tire, and can't validly comment on the fuel economy since I ran a 235 width, but I figured I'd mention them to see if they would meet your requirements. V rated and a 51psi max pressure.

BridgestoneÂ*Turanza Serenity Plus

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Andrei.

Bowtie Guy, wet traction isn't a big issue in Colorado and I did drive my ECO through some seriously hard rains with the OEM tires and didn't have an issue. I really did like those tires, but one tire dry rotted out on me.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,488 Posts
Supposedly the PureContact is a LRR tire that comes in V-rating. Worth reading some reviews as to whether or not it is. I really like mine, and the mileage is pretty much exactly what I saw before. Great in snow, great in wet weather...but they ride stiffly. More stiffly than the Goodyears, I don't know...been a while since I drove an Eco.

The Turanzas are at the bottom of the list of popular tires for snow traction.

·
17,488 Posts
Oh, Michelins - I don't much care for the Energy Saver (not great traction even on dry roads - they squeal quite easily and fight for grip in corners), but the Premier is decent. As the tread wears down on the Premiers, they uncover new sipes in the tread so that they (supposedly) maintain good grip in snow and wet conditions even at 3/32" of tread.

My parents have a set on one car - my limited driving with it says they're a little bit noisier than the MXV4, but I think they do most other things better.

·
Registered
120 Posts
This might be a dumb question and not sure if anyone actually knows with factual information, but how much does a LRR vs non really affect fuel mileage? So if you went with a non-LRR tire, would you notice a fuel mileage decrease?

Reactions: obermd

·
17,488 Posts
This might be a dumb question and not sure if anyone actually knows with factual information, but how much does a LRR vs non really affect fuel mileage? So if you went with a non-LRR tire, would you notice a fuel mileage decrease?
Probably 1-1.5 MPG on an efficient car.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=171

Tire LineTest
MPG*
Gallons/Year
@ 15,000 Miles
% vs. Most Efficient
Bridgestone Potenza RE97AS30.0500.0-2.33%
Continental PureContact w/Eco Plus30.7488.6--
Michelin Primacy MXV430.2496.7-1.66%
Pirelli Cinturato P7 All-Season Plus30.6490.2-0.33%

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Excellent question. From my experience with my ECO MT I'd say there is a noticeable difference. The OEM tires made 50 MPG relatively easy for me. I can coax my current Perelli P7's to 50 MPG but I have to constantly think about my driving to do this. I've seen reviews of some other so called LRR tires that are only LRR when compared to other tires by the same manufacturer but not when compared to LRR tires from other manufacturers.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Supposedly the PureContact is a LRR tire that comes in V-rating. Worth reading some reviews as to whether or not it is. I really like mine, and the mileage is pretty much exactly what I saw before. Great in snow, great in wet weather...but they ride stiffly. More stiffly than the Goodyears, I don't know...been a while since I drove an Eco.

The Turanzas are at the bottom of the list of popular tires for snow traction.
Continental PureContact with EcoPlus added. Thanks.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Excellent question. From my experience with my ECO MT I'd say there is a noticeable difference. The OEM tires made 50 MPG relatively easy for me. I can coax my current Perelli P7's to 50 MPG but I have to constantly think about my driving to do this. I've seen reviews of some other so called LRR tires that are only LRR when compared to other tires by the same manufacturer but not when compared to LRR tires from other manufacturers.
Interesting. I recently replaced the 2nd set of tires on our Honda CR-V with a LRR from Continental (CrossContact LX20 w/Ecoplus). Fuel mileage went down. Previous tires were non-LRR from Michelin (Latitude Touring). Go figure!

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Interesting. I recently replaced the 2nd set of tires on our Honda CR-V with a LRR from Continental (CrossContact LX20 w/Ecoplus). Fuel mileage went down. Previous tires were non-LRR from Michelin (Latitude Touring). Go figure!
Like I said, manufacturers are comparing their LRR tires to their own products. There is unfortunately no standard for cross manufacturer comparisons. The PureContact's that jblackburn mentioned are getting reports on DiscountTire.com as being up to 10% less efficient than the OEM Goodyear FuelMax tires that came on my ECO MT, but they're still considered fuel efficient by Continental.

·
Registered
145 Posts
The only tire CR rated excellent in rolling resistance in the V rated category was the P7, but the Fuel Max tires were not tested in the V rating, only the H, which was also excellent. Hard to know how accurate that is though when they don't publish the raw data, and it seemed be measured by a dyno rather than real world. Also, how rolling resistance is measured on a dyno is something I am curious about.

Not sure if your interest in rolling resistance is more for the hypermiling challenge, or economic reasons, but I did just get rid of non-Fuel Max Assurance tires that had 20-30% tread left on them because I felt wet grip was unacceptable. If the Michelin Premier tires come anywhere close to their rated tread life, and the emerging grooves as they call them maintain good performance through the second half of the tread life, I would think that would be the best tire for the $ over the long haul. They cost a lot up front through, and some buyers have complained about a droning noise over certain road surfaces.

Also, the Nexen tires I just got were not stated anywhere to be LRR, but the same CR test rated them excellent (in H, not the V I bought)...so I think you're right that LRR is something manufactures use to compare their own products, or stick a woohoo greenwashing badge on the tire.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
I recall an earlier discussion, where we determined that Goodyear had 3 products in the Fuelmax line and the OEM tire was 4 pounds lighter than the others, with just 2/32 less depth but an inch narrower tread width. I have 37000 Km on them now and will likely get the same ones when these wear out, because the fact they are lighter and capable of handling the car within my driving habits. I have always found that having superior tires only enables you to catch up to the guys on the highway with banana skins a little faster, then you become a proud follower with awesome tires that you wasted an extra 400+ dollars on, but I also live in a province where 90% of the highways are only 2 lanes.

Wet grip upon braking is my worry, and I am not sure how they are WRT their peers.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
was speedo and odo accurate with the new tires vs OG tires?

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
https://www.nokiantires.com/summer-tires/nokian-entyre/#
https://www.nokiantires.com/all-season-tires/nokian-entyre-20/

have no experience with these models.

i have nokian studded LRR tires....i get the same mpg winter and summer...it SHOULD be less in winter, right? with winter fuel, winter temps, snow and slush roads...but my mpg is consistent year round, all the info is in my fuelly, avg speeds per tank, etc....are the tires making up for it???

would also guess they would be more expensive than other tires, something else to factor in.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
was speedo and odo accurate with the new tires vs OG tires?
The P7's have the same outer diameter as the OEM Goodyears - making them read the same. TireRack comparison charts show revolutions per mile and I think it was less than 10 difference between the two.

·
Premium Member
956 Posts
The OEMs are priced well, the car is designed for them, and you can get a $60 rebate until the end of the month - which pays for the installation cost if you buy from Tirerack and ship to your local tire place. Beats everyone else local near me by close to $100 all told, even with shipping.

I like the TrueContact and PureContact, but they're impossible to find locally (can't compare prices) and there is no rebate or discount on them right now. Perhaps I'll wait for a better offer at Tirerack.

·
Premium Member
956 Posts
:Update: Found PureContact V-rated at Sears for $602 installed, which is ~$25 better than Tirerack/ship. GY Fuelmax was $717, about $200 more than Tirerack/ship ($516 now, $576 next month).

1 - 20 of 84 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.