Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

New member from Pittsburgh, PA with a 2012 Cruze LTZ. Autumn Metallic with black brick interior.

Joined the forum because I been having some issues with my Cruze. Recently got a CEL for P0171. Relating to the PCV valve in the cam cover. I did not have the symptoms of a bad idle (yet). Cleared the code and changed the plugs (car was at 90k miles). Noticed there was oil on several of the plugs. Drove it for a week now I have the horrible idle. So I scheduled the dealer to look at the car. Told them they needed to order the cam cover and said they said they couldn't until they looked at the car. I also asked if they could do a compression test cause I know these cars can crack pistons. They looked at me like I am crazy and said they don't have a reason to do a compression test. So I drop the car off they confirm it is the cam cover. They said the part is on back order. So fast forward a week goes by and they wont give me a donor car cause I work out of state. So I ask for a rental and they said the part will be here tomorrow. Several days go by and no part is here. I am getting frustrated at this point. I decide to pick my car up and it can sit at my house versus the dealer. I pick the car up and my girlfriend drives it home and it pours smoke out the whole way home. (note..when I dropped it off with a bad PCV valve it did NOT smoke) I call them freaking out and they said they cant do anything until the cam cover is replaced. So another week goes by the part is finally in. I bring the car is for the cam cover replacement. I once again ask for a compression test and they said they will see once the cam cover is replaced if it still smokes. Call me couple hours later and tell me its done. I pick it up and before leaving I let it idle. I still smell oil burning. I drive it home and my buddy follows me and says he can see it still smoking. I let it idle in front of my garage for 10 minutes and it fills my garage with smoke. So I immediately take it back to the dealer and tell them. They say they will look at it. So I go back out to my car and notice a puddle under it. Pop the hood and see they cracked the water outlet pipe. So today they replace the pipe and tell me they drove it 20 miles and it did not smoke. I will be picking it up after work today. I am extremely frustrated with the whole situation.

My warranty is up in December. I have the feeling they are trying to push the work off until my warranty is up. I literally had zero other problems in the first 90k miles. I replaced tires twice and did the brakes once. I consistently got 32mpg over these 90k miles. I am at the point where I am ready to trade the car.

·
2,170 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Sorry to hear it is under terrible circumstances. One of the largest problems with the Cruze is the customer service. Good dealerships are very hard to come by. We have a dedicated customer care account on the forum, they may be able to help you facilitate a better interaction to get your vehicle issues resolved.

Paging @Chevy Customer Care

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,486 Posts
Ugh, sounds like my last experience with a dealer.

Double check that the check valve is present in the intake manifold where the PCV pipe connects to it. Pull off the little corrugated tube and peer inside with a flashlight. You should see a little orange dot. If that's gone (likely), the intake manifold will need to be replaced to fix the check valve. A terribly stupid design. The intake manifold and intercooler should also be flushed out if they are coated with oil.

Beyond that, I would try to find another dealer and ask again for that compression check. Most of them don't dump oil all over the top of the motor.

·
2,254 Posts
Welcome.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

·
10,712 Posts
Welcome to the forums, that dealer doesn't look like they care about your car at all. The @ below is the best way to reach them. Send them your vin and that dealer name/location. I'm also going with the check valve is possibly missing conclusion J is talking about. it's known to replace the intake mani with the valve cover.

As for #PIP5036: Possible Oil Consumption With Cracked Piston Or Pistons, GM wants you to prove Oil consumption is greater than 0.946 L (1 qt) in 3,200 KM (2,000 mi).

Welcome to the forum!

Sorry to hear it is under terrible circumstances. One of the largest problems with the Cruze is the customer service. Good dealerships are very hard to come by. We have a dedicated customer care account on the forum, they may be able to help you facilitate a better interaction to get your vehicle issues resolved.

Paging @Chevy Customer Care

·
Premium Member
1,227 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Sorry it wasn't under better circumstances! I echo previous posters in contacting Chevy Customer Care.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ugh, sounds like my last experience with a dealer.

Double check that the check valve is present in the intake manifold where the PCV pipe connects to it. Pull off the little corrugated tube and peer inside with a flashlight. You should see a little orange dot. If that's gone (likely), the intake manifold will need to be replaced to fix the check valve. A terribly stupid design. The intake manifold and intercooler should also be flushed out if they are coated with oil.

Beyond that, I would try to find another dealer and ask again for that compression check. Most of them don't dump oil all over the top of the motor.
I will check this out this weekend when I do my compression check. They keep making horrible excuses. Saying the GM warranty wont pay them to do a compression check. It literally takes 5 minutes to do the compression check. I drove the car for about 40 miles last night and although it was dark and my windows are tinted, I did not see any oil BUT I definitely smelled oil burning.

Welcome to the forums, that dealer doesn't look like they care about your car at all. The @ below is the best way to reach them. Send them your vin and that dealer name/location. I'm also going with the check valve is possibly missing conclusion J is talking about. it's known to replace the intake mani with the valve cover.

As for #PIP5036: Possible Oil Consumption With Cracked Piston Or Pistons, GM wants you to prove Oil consumption is greater than 0.946 L (1 qt) in 3,200 KM (2,000 mi).
This was my assumption that it was a cracked piston or bad rings. The dealer insist that there would be a CEL if this was the issue. They are trying to make it seem like if there is any issue that there would be a CEL.
I am so fed up with their sorry excuses.

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
Hello everyone,

New member from Pittsburgh, PA with a 2012 Cruze LTZ. Autumn Metallic with black brick interior.

Joined the forum because I been having some issues with my Cruze. Recently got a CEL for P0171. Relating to the PCV valve in the cam cover. I did not have the symptoms of a bad idle (yet). Cleared the code and changed the plugs (car was at 90k miles). Noticed there was oil on several of the plugs. Drove it for a week now I have the horrible idle. So I scheduled the dealer to look at the car. Told them they needed to order the cam cover and said they said they couldn't until they looked at the car. I also asked if they could do a compression test cause I know these cars can crack pistons. They looked at me like I am crazy and said they don't have a reason to do a compression test. So I drop the car off they confirm it is the cam cover. They said the part is on back order. So fast forward a week goes by and they wont give me a donor car cause I work out of state. So I ask for a rental and they said the part will be here tomorrow. Several days go by and no part is here. I am getting frustrated at this point. I decide to pick my car up and it can sit at my house versus the dealer. I pick the car up and my girlfriend drives it home and it pours smoke out the whole way home. (note..when I dropped it off with a bad PCV valve it did NOT smoke) I call them freaking out and they said they cant do anything until the cam cover is replaced. So another week goes by the part is finally in. I bring the car is for the cam cover replacement. I once again ask for a compression test and they said they will see once the cam cover is replaced if it still smokes. Call me couple hours later and tell me its done. I pick it up and before leaving I let it idle. I still smell oil burning. I drive it home and my buddy follows me and says he can see it still smoking. I let it idle in front of my garage for 10 minutes and it fills my garage with smoke. So I immediately take it back to the dealer and tell them. They say they will look at it. So I go back out to my car and notice a puddle under it. Pop the hood and see they cracked the water outlet pipe. So today they replace the pipe and tell me they drove it 20 miles and it did not smoke. I will be picking it up after work today. I am extremely frustrated with the whole situation.

My warranty is up in December. I have the feeling they are trying to push the work off until my warranty is up. I literally had zero other problems in the first 90k miles. I replaced tires twice and did the brakes once. I consistently got 32mpg over these 90k miles. I am at the point where I am ready to trade the car.
Hello royce777,

We're very sorry to hear about these valve cover and water outlet pipe concerns you've had with your Cruze, as this is certainly not the experience we want our customers to have. To clarify, have you picked your vehicle up from the dealership? We invite you to send our team a private message so we may look into this further for you.

Sincerely,

Chelsea D.
Chevrolet Customer Care

1 - 8 of 8 Posts