Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Late this spring, I decided I had to have a 2.0CTD. I could do the fun diesel mod stuff on an economical platform for a change.
I kept looking and looking for a well kept car, preferably rainforest green, with less than $10k on the pricetag and 100k on the odometer.
Closest I came was a $9800/93k/2014 at a no-haggle dealer in Ohio. They sold it a day or two after I saw the ad.

As so easily happens to frustrated buyers, after trying to buy a car for a couple of months, even bidding on cars at dealer wholesale auctions but getting outbid by 10% or less, I ignored my very strict price limits and got in a bidding war that resulted in me owning a car. In this case, not an old green diesel but a new black LT with RS package.

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
It's not new, just much, much newer than I was planning on buying. Warranty start was 9 weeks ago, it was previously titled so I won't be the original owner, and it has almost 2100 miles on it.

There are some untitled cars at a GM factory sale tomorrow, you can do text searches in the auction catalog if you want to find one that's still on MSO instead of titled, send a fax to a franchise dealer(cadillac/buick/gmc/chevrolet) used car manager, sales manager, fleet manager, or internet sales manager (bypassing commissioned salesmen) and ask them how much markup they'd demand to buy it for you at the auction.

If I really wanted one, and it was a car that GM wasn't offering transportation assistance money to the purchasing dealer (like every Cruze in tomorrow's sale), I might try to arrange a deal with a dealer in the same town as the car, that way they won't feel they're poaching sales from their own hometown and you can drive it home yourself instead of waiting for delivery.

Speaking of which, my car is in another state, I have to go haul it home tomorrow.
That's why my avatar looks like a photo of a black RS in an auction lane.

Here's the auction catalog, if you want to see what sort of "factory official" cars go up for sale around model year changeover time. This sale has six 2017 diesels in it, it's the first time I've seen GM put 2017 diesels on the block.

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
Congratulations on your new car, even though it's not an oil burner (wink) it's still a Cruze!

Welcome!

Reactions: Taxman

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Picked the car up yesterday. 4 hours each way according to Google Maps. 11 1/2 hrs total in real life, including loading the car and walking the dog at every rest stop along the way. I'm getting too old for this stuff. Definitely could NOT do that two days in a row.

Car is not black, it's Iridium Metallic. Just a hair darker than mom's Taupe Metallic Malibu.
Might be interesting to put some carbon fiber weave on it, I think it'd be a close enough match that you'd have to look close to tell it wasn't all the same color.
Anybody make CF hoods or bumper covers to fit a 2017 RS? I think the RS hood is the same as other 2017s.

I'd love to make CF bumper covers (or better yet, two layers of Kevlar under one layer of 5.6oz CF) front and rear, use UV resistant epoxy and leave them unpainted, but the thought "I'm getting too old for this stuff" really comes into play there. That's major work, and if I used the outside of the factory parts for molds, everything would be 1/8" too big. Besides that, somebody would probably hit me while parked right after I did it.

·
2,170 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts