Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

New Member looking for help

1618 Views 10 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  NickD
So I bought a used 2012 Chevy Cruze last December. Here we are less than a year later and I've taken it in 5-6 times for different things. Not the happiest person, but at least it's been under warranty.

The one issue that I've had for months now, and dealership refuses to fix, is this loud AC Fan issue that I now see is a problem others are having as well. From the moment I turn on my car until I turn it off the ac fan goes into jet mode every 5-8 seconds. Sometimes it will stay on for as long as 5 seconds just running at full speed. I've seen others have had the same issue, but unfortunately I'm having no luck with my dealership. I get the runaround and the "this is normal" speech. It is so frustrating because there is no way this is normal.

They keep trying to explain to me that the fan comes on to keep the car cool. I completely get this, I may not be a mechanic, but I understand how the fan works. But, there is no way the fan should be running this loud constantly while the ac is running. I just want some help in getting this resolved. My 12 month pre-owned certified warranty expires now in December. I'm hoping they aren't just pushing it off and then tell me it's not normal after my warranty expires just to charge me for it.

Hopefully i can get some help here.

Thanks!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Premium Member
24,131 Posts
Benny,

It's not normal. Try a different dealership as yours is staffed by idiots.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Benny,

It's not normal. Try a different dealership as yours is staffed by idiots.
Thanks obermd. That's what I'm starting to notice based off of what I've read here. It's so frustrating if it's a known problem, why they won't fix it. I just made an appointment at another dealership for Saturday so lets see what they tell me.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I took the car to a different dealership and withing 4 hours they not only had found out the issue, but fixed it. Apparently the fan motor was fried causing it to skip low and medium fan speeds and going straight to holy crap speed.

I can't believe I fought with the other dealership for months over this and the second dealer had it done in 4 hours.

Anyways, thanks for the tips, I should've gone to another dealership a long time ago!

· Premium Member
24,131 Posts
So I took the car to a different dealership and withing 4 hours they not only had found out the issue, but fixed it. Apparently the fan motor was fried causing it to skip low and medium fan speeds and going straight to holy crap speed.

I can't believe I fought with the other dealership for months over this and the second dealer had it done in 4 hours.

Anyways, thanks for the tips, I should've gone to another dealership a long time ago!
Care to name the two dealerships? The bad on so our members know to avoid them and the good one so our members know they have a fighting chance to get their cars fixed there.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Care to name the two dealerships? The bad on so our members know to avoid them and the good one so our members know they have a fighting chance to get their cars fixed there.
Yea absolutely. I actually left two very detailed highly negative reviews on two different websites. I'm actually considering filing a complaint with the BBB with how bad it's been. Looking forward to see what they respond.

The dealership I've had all the issues with was David Maus Chevy over in Sanford, FL.

I then went to Carl Black of Orlando.

These guys have been an absolute pleasure to deal with. I could instantly tell the Adviser actually knew what he was talking about and they care very much about their customer service. Had me in a loaner and on my way within 20 minutes and the car was back the same day with the issue resolved. It's about 30 minutes from my house but it's worth the drive knowing I am taken cared of properly. After my horrible experience with David Maus I'm actually worried that the work they've done on my car previously was done right. I refuse to go back and hopefully I don't have any emergencies in the future that would force me to go there.

· Banned
9,198 Posts
When you say AC fan motor, which fan are you talking about?

Have a radiator/condenser fan under the hood, or the blower motor located under the glove compartment. Also two different types of MVAC systems, are vehicles except the LTZ have a manual blower motor control, LTZ is automatic.

Recently had problems with my interior blower motor, for whatever reason the squirrel cage blower wheel started to rub against an upper plastic shroud, that sure made a racket. Out of warranty, so added some shims under the blower motor to give a mm more of clearance, quiet now. Also have the 2LT with a manual blower control.

What did this better Chevy dealer replace? Should have been given an invoice stating so.

Use to think automatic climate control was great, been driving these things since the 60's, just set the temperature you want and the system does the rest, but has all kinds of servo motors, computers, to change the mode doors, blend door, and blower motor speed. But if anything like the in-car, ambient, or solar sensors went bad, the system would go nuts and would either be baked alive or frozen to death. And very complicated to repair. No interest in the LTZ for this reason.

Still have ACC in my 88 Supra, can live with that, it has a manual over ride, so if it goes crazy, I have control. Really loved my 04 Cavalier MVAC system, one cable operated manual control for the blend door, changes the amount of heat you get, and another for the mode door, defrost, vents, lower settings. Even the dealer only charge 12 bucks for new cable controls and could be replaced in five minutes.

Not even sure about this 2LT I have, all those MVAC controls fire commands to the BCM, and use servo motors to change either the mode or blend doors. Not cheap and operate off of a mircrocontroller that has code stored in flashram. Even the blower motor is this way. That 04 Cavalier used a resistor block to change blower speeds. Cheap and easy to replace. Cruze uses BMC PWM to control the blower motor, doing this the hard expensive way. See that modules was over a hundred bucks, but did knock it down to around 60 bucks. That is a heck of a lot of money for a 17 cent power MOSFET transistor.

Then code stored in flashram.

Did have mode door problems with that Cavalier, couldn't turn the mode switch. Wasn't too bad, removed the upper dash, used screws, then a cover on the mode door, more screws. They expected the mode door weather strip to hold that was self adhesive, it fell off and jammed the door. Wasn't damaged, glue it back on and stuck an aluminum plate on top of it so it couldn't fall off.

If this happens to the Cruze would be a nightmare, no more screws, super easy to snap this panels on but a b!tch to remove them. And I feel is this door was jammed, would burn up that servo motor or even the BCM, more expense.

Why can't they do stuff the simple way? Can tell you, microcontroller is a lot cheaper than a 12 buck cable to manufacturer, but sure rob you to death for a replacement.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.