Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick story:

Wife and I both have old cars -- 1991 Honda Civic and 1992 Toyota Corolla -- still running awesome, but lacking the safety features of airbags and all the latest technology of safer driving and convenience. Seeking a new car, we were intent on sticking with the foreign cars because of their reliability and longevity -- sad to say, but our friends' experiences with American cars has been less than stellar. My wife really loves hatchbacks, so we test drove the Honda Civic, Toyota iM, Kia Forte5, Mazda3 and the Hyundai Elantra GT. They were all pretty nice and were deciding on one of those when we just happened on an advertisement or something, can't really remember how we came across the Chevy Cruze Hatchback. The next day we took a test drive and were really impressed with the overall package and the price. Long story short, two days later we purchased the Cruze Hatchback and we received a lot of surprised reactions from friends and families. A Chevrolet? And American car?? Yep! Reading through all the road test reviews, owner reviews, Consumer Reports and other recommended reading about the Chevy Cruze, this is the car for us. And like our other cars, we intend to take good care of the Cruze and drive it for many many years. This forum will definitely help us to achieve our intentions, and in doing so will also help our friends and families to realize that American cars have come a long way and if we could make the switch, they can to!

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Congratulations and welcome to CruzeTalk.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Virtually all cars are more international than any final assembly location these days. The Gen 1 Diesel Cruze was largely designed in Korea, with LG body electronics, Panasonic (Japan) Infotainment system, Aisin Transmission (Japan, also used for many Toyota's), Engine design in Italy, but produced in Germany.. Various items on the car from eastern Europe.. This is not unique to Chevrolet, pretty much all OEMs source parts from all over.. and your Cruze Hatch is final assembly in Mexico, only the Sedans are made in Lordstown, OH. What is interesting in many of the new GM's and Fords is that some transmissions and even structural components were designed jointly, so much for that old Ford vs. Chevy rivalry.. the average consumer likely knows nothing about the automobile manufacturing business to discern such things.

Welcome to Cruzetalk.. and my advice for the gasoline engine if you want long service life: Use midgrade or better fuel.. higher compression turbo engines will do much better on the higher octane, and be less susceptible to damage, and might even off-set the higher fuel cost by better MPG making it a wash in your overall cost.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,348 Posts
Welcome, and congrats on the purchase!

My 2012 Cruze was my first American car...and 2016 the 2nd.

For some reason I can't understand, all the auto reviewers LOVE the new Civic. It feels like nothing special in any way to me, and on top of that, it was beat in the face with an ugly stick.

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
This is a pretty cool story! Interesting how it all worked out. Welcome to the forum, this place is a wealth of knowledge.

·
Premium Member
2,696 Posts
Welcome @roadtripping and congrats on the big switch.

Maybe be someday soon you Portlandians will be trusted enough to pump your own fuel LOL.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's pretty funny seeing all the memes and comments about this, but that someday will be a very long time coming (I'm still waiting for a sales tax)...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts