Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So happy that I came across this forum. I'm a new driver who recently purchased a 2013 Cruze (1st car) which I had been looking at for months. My car has 71,000 miles on it and still has that new car smell. I am relying on my friends and research to know about maintaining this car cause I am scared out of my mind. Any advice would you give a first time car owner? It would be so appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
5,638 Posts
Well welcome there Mechalia! You still might have a little bit of the factory powertrain warranty to help if a related problem comes up. My Car lost its Brand new car smell by the following week. These days they have stuff to make it smell new

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Welcome to CruzeTalk.

Take a look in the owners manual - you can download one from Chevrolet Cars, Trucks, SUVs, Crossovers and Vans if you didn't one - and look at the Severe service schedule. At a minimum I would change the engine oil (dexos1) and filter and the transmission fluid. If it's a manual transmission use AMSOil synchromesh. I see you're in Connecticut so I would also change the brake fluid as well.

Note on the transmission fluid, don't use a machine that pumps the fluid out. Let the car do the pumping.

Also, unless you purchased a service contract your car is out of the B2B warranty but you still have Powertrain warranty.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess one more week to go before that new car smell is gone then. Thanks for the warm welcome. I am certainly going to deep dive into the abundance of articles on here. This is wild.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Obermd for the helpful tips. I do have the manual and haven't read it cover to cover yet, but will definitely check out the severe service. I did purchase an service contract and still under the dealer warranty for the next 30 days, so keeping my fingers crossed. I did as much research as I possibly could with this car and planning if all goes well to keep it for at least the next 5 years.

·
Premium Member
2,698 Posts
Congratulations @Mechalia on getting your driving privileges AND on your 'new' Cruze. Welcome to the community...you're right, there's a wealth of knowledge here. Glad you're on board.

·
Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
12,172 Posts
Welcome Aboard!:welcome:

So happy that I came across this forum. I'm a new driver who recently purchased a 2013 Cruze (1st car) which I had been looking at for months. My car has 71,000 miles on it and still has that new car smell. I am relying on my friends and research to know about maintaining this car cause I am scared out of my mind. Any advice would you give a first time car owner? It would be so appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Spend more time reading about your car than zooming around in the beginning. sign up at the Chevrolet Owner Center, fill out your owners manual maintenance as you go, pay attention to the Drivers Information Center (DIC) warnings on your car, learn what fluids you should use, what the intervals to change them are, when the last time they have been changed, are the levels correct (some you cannot check though on this car), take the time to locate your spare and actually jack up the car and pull a wheel off and put it back on. It is better to learn this skill in the comfort of your own driveway than on the side of the highway during a storm (been there, done that).

If you pull the fronts off, look at the brake shoes and gauge what thickness is left. Read a few of the brake threads to see what I mean. ( DIY how to replace brake pads) It is good to know if they are thin as you can buy new pads and easily replace them before you grind out the rotors.

That ought to take you a few weeks. :eek:hmy:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.