Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! Been reading threads on here since I bought my 2014 v4 1.8L Cruze. Overheating issues and coolant loss. Had the A/C message appear a couple of times in the past. Attached are pictures of coolant splashes under hood and around motor. Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
2012 Cruze Eco 6 Speed
393 Posts
Welcome to the forum

·
Premium Member
2015 Chevrolet Cruze LT 1.4L Turbo
629 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I'm not all that familiar with the 1.8L; However a cooling system pressure test is always a good place to start. For future reference, the engine inside our Cruze's are inline 4 cylinder engines not V4's. ;)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. :p
I can do computers all day, not cars. Yeah meant 4 cylinder lol. Just rushing to get this thing fixed for new job coming up.
I will take it somewhere to have that done tomorrow.

I drove it for 10 min today, parked, and saw this:

This is new, didn't see this when I was driving it heavy months ago. It's on the left side if you're facing it from the front.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Looks like you might have a water pump on the way out. How many miles on the car? Low coolant and a failing WP could explain it.

Don

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for reply Mr. Don!

146k, it did have low coolant months ago. Filled reservoir tank and it hasn't moved since.

What troubles me the most about that is it seems like it hasn't been circulating the coolant through the whole system properly.

Second drive around tonight and I saw a heavy excess of coolant on bottom of that hose in last picture provided.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I have a few concerns...
Should I replace the impeller or whatever it's called for the water pump, or is there a part to order that had both sides including the right hand part that the hose attaches to?
I don't know if the part I pulled is actually bad or not. Would reattaching with gasket maker and a new gasket suffice?
And if coolant wasn't properly circulating through the motor, do I have a litany of repairs to look forward to?
I am kinda iffy about the timing belt, I am not sure if previous owners replaced at proper time. If coolant somehow ended up there I guess I should, especially since I already have all this disassembled. Any way to check to see?

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Generally water pumps are replaced as assemblies. Out of curiosity, why did you take the part off if you didn't first confirm it was bad?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
5th picture I posted. Assumed it was water pump. :p
But you know what they say about the word "assume" lol.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
PLUS this thing was getting way too hot for me to comfortably take a few miles away to a place to test these things.

I can't find an entire assembly, only the impeller thing that spins off the serpentine belt. :s

Edit: I noticed dried coolant around one of the bolt holes on the pump, looks like seal broke there, also saw warping in the metal, so it appears this was indeed failing.

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
I'm glad it appears that you might have found the problem

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thermostat was stuck shut too. Really worried after seeing how badly it was xD. God knows what might have happened due to that. Have no white exhaust or milky oil yet.... Maybe I was lucky!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update: replaced those parts, they seem to be working properly, but now I have oil and coolant mixing from my oil cooler. I have created another thread in the appropriate forum (I hope). Thanks everyone for the help! :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts