Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All! I am new member to the chevy family, I just bought a malibu ltz eco, but I am not happy with it. I was considering getting the cruze diesel any thoughts/inputs would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Hi All! I am new member to the chevy family, I just bought a malibu ltz eco, but I am not happy with it. I was considering getting the cruze diesel any thoughts/inputs would be appreciated.
Hello and welcome! I never drove a Malibu so I couldn't compare it to the Cruze directly, but I can tell you I enjoy the Cruze very much. I have the 2014 Diesel and enjoy it just as much, if not more, than the day I got it. There are things to keep in mind if you get the Diesel. It shouldn't be primarily used as a city driver as the emissions system may not be able to function as it should, there is a DEF tank that replaces your spare tire (you instead get a fix-a-flat kit in the trunk, there have been numerous users on the forum who have reported issues with sensors related to the emissions system (I personally haven't experienced any of these issues yet. I'm at 22,000 kilometers with half city and half highway driving).

I'd say as long as you understand how the systems on the Diesel Cruze work and you make sure that you allow them to run through their proper cycles, you shouldn't run into too much trouble. If the time comes that you decide to purchase a Cruze Diesel, get as much information from the dealer as you can in terms of how long it's been on the lot and how often it gets taken out (if at all). If the vehicle has been taken out for short runs or the engine was only started for a few minutes to move it across the lot, it could have adverse effects on the emissions system. I remember reading one post about a user who had that problem with his Cruze Diesel he purchased.

I'm sure by now you've found these categories for Diesel owner discussions:
Chevy Cruze Diesel General Discussion
Chevy Cruze Diesel Technical Discussion
A lot of information can be found in those categories.

Good luck on your search.
Any questions you have you can post them here. Myself and other Diesel owners will be happy to assist you.

·
Lyrical Wordsmith
6,748 Posts
Both great cars. You know our answer :) get the Cruze Diesel. Way better mpg and torque.

Unless you'll be upside down. Then don't and wait it out a bit. Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thank you for your very informative response. I drive a truck for a living which happens to be a diesel. So, I understand the importance on how to start diesels, especially in the cold weather. The diesel cruze i am interested in, is a used 2015 with 8,800 miles on it and wanting 19,000. I am not sure how long it is has been on the lot, that is a good question to ask the dealer, as well on as how long the engine has been running as well. I do a lot of highway mile driving, when i purchased my malibu used it had 6,600 miles on it this october. I now have over 11,000 on it, so i need something that will get me better gas mileage. however, I do live in ohio in the snow belt, which i get a lot of snow. But this year we haven't received any as of yet, but i should probably get snow tires, just like i have for the malibu. thanks again for the replies and all of the information. This forum is great!

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Welcome. Of course we'll tell you to get the Cruze. :)

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Been a chevy man my whole life, though I've owned a few non chevy's in my time. I own 3 now a '66 chevelle, '03 S-10 and my '13 cruze that I bought when gas was +/- $4/gallon.
Welcome!!!

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
I have 34k km on my ctd with 95% city driving. No issues yet.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts