Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Morning Good People!!

So I've got a question that I'm hoping someone here can answer. I have a 2011 base model. I tried to drive it and it wouldn't go. It'll go in reverse all day long but forward...not so much. I tried checking the transmission fluid (yes I'm a girl but daddy made sure we could do these types of things
:)) but there wasn't a stick. I finally found where to put the fluid. My question is this: how do I tell how many qts yo put in? Is this normal? Could this be something else? I'm at a loss here.

·
Super Moderator
5,127 Posts
Good morning and welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about your transmission problems. Based on the fact that the car will move in reverse but not in forward leaves me to believe it is probably not a fluid problem. I personally have a manual tranny so I am little help there. I will wait for others to chime in. I see you are from Ohio, what part? I am from Cincinnati and we are going to have a get together next month up Cleveland way.

·
Premium Member
5,534 Posts
As described, this is likely a actual mechanical failure in the trans with a outside chance of a transmission control module issue.

If the fluid level was low (along with corresponding leakage) there would be no response either to forward or reverse.

Rob

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Because it didn't have a dipstick, I didn't want one, typically filled when cold through that upper side filler plug until AT fluid starts to drip in your face. Vehicle has to be lever.

Here is a partial electrical diagram of how gears are selected. Chevy forgot how to put in a full diagram with pin numbers and wire color coding.

View attachment 188882

The gear shift lever by switching resistors into the BCM varies the voltage, they do this to save wires. The BCM with an A to D converter, converts this voltage information into digital to tell the transmission what gear to go into as interpreted by that internal mode switch. Should be some error codes for a failed connection. Since the BCM relies on very low voltages and current, finding extremely tiny wires in these things. Since the code in the BCM is store in the same kind of memory you find in the cheapest digital camera, can also be the problem, needs a reflash, and unlike your digital camera where you can download firmware for free, have to take it to your dealer.

Have to ask some stupid questions, was this car modified in anyway, and did you buy it this way, or did this just happen?

Also feel compelled to make a stupid statement, if the law reduces the speed limits anymore, we all will be driving in reverse.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts