Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning a new navigation update was released for 2014, 15 and 16 Cruze.

It is being labeled as a 2018 update and assigned part number 84157655. US$159.99 plus shipping.

Nota Bene: For reasons unknown, this update will not work on CTDs whose navigation units operate with software number 22950150.

I have placed an order and hope to have it in the next the next few days.

Further information can be found here: https://gmnavdisc.navigation.com/pr...Map-Update-V.2018/sku/84157655/en_US/GMNA/USD

Reactions: Starks8

·
Registered
54 Posts
I ordered the CTD update and should be getting it any day now.

I chatted with a rep on that site and she claimed that the updates were the same for the NA Cruze and the CTD. She couldn't say why there is a different part number for the software number 22950150.

My car has software number 22950150 so we will see what it does when I install the update.

·
Super Moderator
7,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I ordered the CTD update and should be getting it any day now.

I chatted with a rep on that site and she claimed that the updates were the same for the NA Cruze and the CTD. She couldn't say why there is a different part number for the software number 22950150.

My car has software number 22950150 so we will see what it does when I install the update.
I predict that the update will not work if you have 22950150.

I'm curious why you purchased it when the supplier clearly states that it is not for vehicles with 22950150?

·
Super Moderator
7,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
Google Maps and other cell phone based navigation apps work for free and are updated regularly for free!!! I still do not understand why people buy or continue to support factory navigation systems. I purchased my car CPO and it has Navigation, but I did not pay extra for it and I do not use it and I will never PAY to update it!!!

·
Super Moderator
7,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Google Maps and other cell phone based navigation apps work for free and are updated regularly for free!!! I still do not understand why people buy or continue to support factory navigation systems. I purchased my car CPO and it has Navigation, but I did not pay extra for it and I do not use it and I will never PAY to update it!!!
Well, we've discussed this many times before. It's like owning a diesel or voting republican or being a Mac user or owning chevrolet. There are choices in this world and we still have the liberty in this country to exercise those choices.

Let's keep this thread to its subject: the new 2018 nav update.

·
Registered
54 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Super Moderator
7,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I received the 2018 p/n 84157655 update this afternoon and just finished installing it.

It took 45 minutes to complete the install.

While I have not driven with the new update I did navigate around on the maps and the points of interest. Here's what I've observed so far:

1) new residential streets in my growing neighbourhood have been added to this 2018 update compared to the 2017 update.

2) at least one new point of interest that I submitted last June appears on this 2018 update.

3) the voice is the same one used on the 2017 update.

4) I've observed no additional roadways covered by the xm nav traffic.

I'll have more observations to share regarding this 2018 update once I get out in the car in the next few days.

Reactions: jutp69 and Starks8

·
Super Moderator
7,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Last night I had a little more time to explore this 2018 update:

+ Highways 412 and 407 east of 412 appear on this update. These roadways opened on June 20, 2016. This makes this 2018 update of great interest to anyone living in the eastern half of the greater Toronto area or attempting to cross the GTA and wishing to avoid the 401 that is said to be the busiest highway in North America.

+ I noticed even more new residential streets added for my larger community.

+ I discovered that more parking lots have been mapped for shopping destinations like big box stores. This is a nice layer of detail to have when driving about.

Reactions: Merc6 and Starks8

·
Super Moderator
7,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
+ I've noticed that the Points of Interest search feature now functions by simply selecting nearest. The three previous map database softwares that I've used all required that you input your city first before it would provide the nearest POIs. I'm grateful for this improvement as I always found the previous method needlessly laborious.

·
Premium Member
3,177 Posts
Does Onstar also use HERE mapping or do they have/use their own maps? I ask because it seems that if our in-dash navigation doesn't have a POI or road/street in the system, the Onstar map doesn't have it either.

What good is Onstar for help if where you might be located with a broken down car or alerting them of the location of a fatal car accident isn't even on their map? I would think Onstar would make sure their maps are updated on a regular basis just like Google and Apple maps are, so that they can respond accordingly to all SOS calls.

·
Super Moderator
7,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Does Onstar also use HERE mapping or do they have/use their own maps? I ask because it seems that if our in-dash navigation doesn't have a POI or road/street in the system, the Onstar map doesn't have it either.

What good is Onstar for help if where you might be located with a broken down car or alerting them of the location of a fatal car accident isn't even on their map? I would think Onstar would make sure their maps are updated on a regular basis just like Google and Apple maps are, so that they can respond accordingly to all SOS calls.
I'm a regular user of onstar and their destination download service. Countless times they were able to send me to locations that were not in the POI database of the navigation system. I'm not sure how they do it, but they do it at least a couple times a week for me.

I am very grateful for the onstar advisors. They've been incredibly helpful to my wife and I since I first began subscribing in 2008.

·
Super Moderator
7,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
+ 417 exit 122, that was realigned last year, is reflected in this update.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Chris Tobin:

I have lots of reasons I like having in dash nav.

1) dash mounts look ghetto and sometimes block sight
2) ditto for the cord strung around to keep the always lit rapidly discharging phone charged
3) Unless you are listening to stored songs or streaming audio from the phone (which I listen to often but not always) the nav directions either come out of the cell phone's terrible speaker or come in as a pseudo bluetooth phone call which is very awkward
4) 7" screen is bigger than most cell phone screens

I could list others but those 4 are the biggest ones for me. Number 5 is a reality for me but maybe not for a lot of others...

5) Google/Apple nav requires data access and I go to a LOT of places for hikes etc where data coverage is spotty or non existant

·
Registered
44 Posts
Google Nav does not require as much data access as perhaps you think. Simply download "Offline Areas" which cover your intended journey on Wifi before you go; then you only need minimal data plan for traffic info.

Reactions: WillL84

·
Super Moderator
7,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
I noticed on this update (I can't remember if the old one allowed this, but I think it may have) that when the passenger is searching for a POI when we are in motion, it only allows the first screen - so restaurants, shows pretty much the "A"'s and won't let you scroll down the list past the first screen. I looked for an option to see if I could turn that off, but ??? Anyone know if that is possible? I had to exit the highway and put the car in park, choose the restaurant, then resume the trip. Waste of a perfectly good passenger if you ask me.

·
Super Moderator
7,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I noticed on this update (I can't remember if the old one allowed this, but I think it may have) that when the passenger is searching for a POI when we are in motion, it only allows the first screen - so restaurants, shows pretty much the "A"'s and won't let you scroll down the list past the first screen. I looked for an option to see if I could turn that off, but ??? Anyone know if that is possible? I had to exit the highway and put the car in park, choose the restaurant, then resume the trip. Waste of a perfectly good passenger if you ask me.
It's been like this on all versions I've installed. I suspect for legal liability reasons.

Reactions: BrightParrot
1 - 20 of 47 Posts