Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

161 - 167 of 167 Posts

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
What's shipping though?
They had the brake lines I needed for my Silverado $20 cheaper than anywhere else....but there was $23 shipping and they would take 2 days longer to get than from Amazon.

·
Registered
474 Posts
What's shipping though?
They had the brake lines I needed for my Silverado $20 cheaper than anywhere else....but there was $23 shipping and they would take 2 days longer to get than from Amazon.
Right, but 0W-30 ESP is hard to find this affordable, even when factoring in shipping.

2 oil changes (10 qts) over the winter and 2 ACDelco filters would be $105 shipped to my house. Not bad considering that this oil is normally around $50 for 5 quarts shipped.

But what do you know, NAPA has another sale going on for their 0W-30 ESP. $5.49 quart free shipping to store. https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/MOR124547?

·
Registered
2 Posts
In an effort to reduce build up in the intake manifold and EGR I looked at the ash level for various Dexos2 approved oils
usually list as:
Ash, Sulfated, mass%, ASTM D874
.8 or so is usually the % listed.
I was using Pennzoil Euro L as it was mentioned by a seller as having the lowest ash content.
Saw that Mobil 1 ESP ash content is .6 so I have made the switch.
Not sure how much the ash content will affect build up but I am looking at all avenues.
Recently installed a catch can also.
Thinking about water injection as well.

Any one have mods or tips on reducing the sludge build up?

Thanks

·
Registered
112 Posts
An oils ash content won’t have any effect on placque formation on the intake manifold or EGR. Oil vapor doesn’t contain any additives (ash). The hard placque you see on fouled diesel intake manifolds comes from oil vapor and soot which will harden as they mix.

Your fuel quality is the biggest factor in soot production. High cetane diesel with combustion improving additives can greatly reduce soot production, I’ve seen a reduction of 60-75% in my cars.

A filtered oil vapor recovery device like the Mann provent 200 plumbed to the PCV line and clean burning fuel will virtually eliminate all placque from the intake manifold.

·
Registered
474 Posts
An oils ash content won’t have any effect on placque formation on the intake manifold or EGR. Oil vapor doesn’t contain any additives (ash). The hard placque you see on fouled diesel intake manifolds comes from oil vapor and soot which will harden as they mix.

Your fuel quality is the biggest factor in soot production. High cetane diesel with combustion improving additives can greatly reduce soot production, I’ve seen a reduction of 60-75% in my cars.

A filtered oil vapor recovery device like the Mann provent 200 plumbed to the PCV line and clean burning fuel will virtually eliminate all placque from the intake manifold.
That's really interesting because I've always (except for 4 fill ups in 4 years) ran premium diesel in my CTD. Reading the other thread about EGR I've been tempted to take it off and clean it for preventative maintenance. I think that may do that and take some pictures to see what an intake looks like running premium fuel for most of the life of the car (from 30k to 145k miles).

·
Registered
112 Posts
That's really interesting because I've always (except for 4 fill ups in 4 years) ran premium diesel in my CTD. Reading the other thread about EGR I've been tempted to take it off and clean it for preventative maintenance. I think that may do that and take some pictures to see what an intake looks like running premium fuel for most of the life of the car (from 30k to 145k miles).
“Premium“ or “Top Tier” Diesel is a better product with improved properties however it’s not going to have the effects I’m talking about. I live in CA and we have the cleanest burning diesel in the country, yet the effects of combustion catalysts has been documented visually and with UOA. Specifically, fuel additives that contain Ferrocene or MMT based catalysts can have a dramatic impact on soot production. My experience comes from the impacts of MMT however all additive formulas are secret but it’s ingriendients can be deduced by multiple oil analysis reports showing Manganese which isn’t a wear metal.

I’ve read that the Mobil Synergy Supreme Diesel does contain catalysts however I’ve never used it continuously or done any testing with it.

161 - 167 of 167 Posts