Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Administrator
15,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Congrats on the purchase of your new Cruze! If you're as excited to have it as I was when I bought mine, you'll want to maintain it as well as you possibly can. This thread is the product of the collective knowledge and experience of this forum for the past couple of years. It will tell you what you need to know to maintain your vehicle and keep it running well.

Before I start, if you have a problem with your Cruze, see this thread:
http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/25-service-issues/12406-fix-my-cruze.html#post181726

Alright, let's get started.

Manual transmission fluid is junk from the factory and the transmission fluid overheats. Your shifting will get notchy at around 5-10k miles. If you a manual transmission, read the following thread ASAP:
http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/10-powertrain/36617-cruze-manual-transmission-m32-issues.html#post564769

Automatic transmission fluid needs to be changed every 40k miles. Unless you are doing 100% highway driving at or under 65mph, you need to assume that your vehicle is operating under the "severe service" conditions. Your "mostly highway" commute still falls under severe service. If you bought this car with over 36k miles, get the fluid changed just in case.

Drum Brakes
Check the rear drum brakes to ensure that they are adjusted correctly. Many 2011, 2012, and some 2013 models were not adjusted well. The very poor adjustment will cause your front brakes to work overtime, will increase your stopping distance, and will cause your front brakes to overheat and need replacing prematurely. Manual transmission equipped vehicles will note a very high handbrake level and even a poor handbrake engagement. Refer to this thread for drum brake adjustment:
www.cruzetalk.com/forum/57-how-library/6485-how-adjust-rear-drum-brakes.html

Spark Plugs
2011 and 2012 models had horrible spark plug gap consistency issues. If you have a Cruze that suffers from bogging, hesistation, throttle lag, excessively poor fuel economy, even one built after 2011-2012, you will want to check and re-gap your spark plugs. CruzeTalk staff recommend 0.035" for stock vehicles and 0.028" for tuned vehicles. Refer to this thread:
http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/57-how-library/6722-diy-re-gap-factory-spark-plugs.html

Engine Oil - 1.4L Turbo

Despite what your oil life monitor tells you, do not go past 6,000 miles on GM's ACDELCO DEXOS1 oil. Our oil testing analysis has shown that the oil is toast by 6,500 miles under light driving. With a turbo that exceeds 500 degrees F on a regular basis, you need a high quality fluid. A full synthetic fluid is very highly recommended. A DEXOS1-compliant fluid is absolutely necessary. DO NOT use dino/conventional oil. If you change it yourself, check the torque specs on the drain plug and filter cap!

Tire Pressure
The placard pressure on your car is aimed squarely at making the Cruze as comfortable as possible. We recommend increasing pressure 3-5psi above placard pressure to improve stability and safety with minimal impact on ride quality. Also, be sure to check the tire pressure of your spare tire, if equipped.

Recalls
There are a few open safety recalls for the Cruze. Make sure you have them done. Feel free to have our GM Customer Care representative check your VIN for you:
http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/105-ask-general-motors/

Rear Light Bulb Check
Sounds obvious, but we've seen Cruzes with burned out rear light bulbs already. When was the last time you checked them?

Fuel Octane - 1.4L Turbo
While the 1.4L Turbo equipped Cruzes will run on 87 octane, they will run far better on a higher octane. We recommend 89 octane "midgrade" at a minimum. This is especially important for the warmer months with higher temperatures and A/C use.

Stone Chipped Paint on Rear Quarter Panels
Check this and be sure to get this TSB done by a dealer before it gets worse or your bumper to bumper warranty runs out. Refer to this thread for more information:
http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/11-appearance-detailing-interior/9550-gm-bulletin-stone-chips-cruze-dog-legs.html

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am very new to this car and I am new to the site.. I have had my cruze for a 2 weeks now and love it .... feeling a little lack of power but I do like the fuel savings... but I find sometime that it does not seem efficient when I am just tooting around the community .. I am going to check the tire pressure..

peejoe

·
Registered
1 Posts
chevrolet cruze lt premium all weather mats I had to contact chevy to get these mats because the sales man said he wasn't going to give them to me.... that being said I got the mats yesterday. for what the price on the sticker stated $110.00 these mats I could have bought @kmart for $25.00. so cheap!!!!

·
Administrator
25,208 Posts
XR, I changed "will reduce your stopping distance" to "will increase your stopping distance."

Also, you can check your own car's recall status at https://my.gm.com/web/portal/recalls. This site will ask for your VIN and show any open recalls. Recalls that have been completed will not show.

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
I am very new to this car and I am new to the site.. I have had my cruze for a 2 weeks now and love it .... feeling a little lack of power but I do like the fuel savings... but I find sometime that it does not seem efficient when I am just tooting around the community .. I am going to check the tire pressure..

peejoe
Every CRUZE seems to have different features, but I can just press a button and get a visual display of my Tire pressure. Plus OnStar just sent me an email!

Tire Pressure: Low (Add Air)
One or more tires are low and need air. Inflate them to the recommended tire pressure listed below as soon as possible.
Properly inflated tires can improve your fuel economy, vehicle performance, and tire life.
Recommended tire pressure - Front: 35 psi,
Rear: 35 psi
Left Front:
Low, 32 psi
Left Rear:
34 psi
Right Front:
35 psi
Right Rear:
34 psi

·
Registered
69 Posts
I just got my chevy cruze Eco and I'm soo excited about starting mods on my new ride the first thing I want to do is black out my bow ties anybody know how I can go about that
Just get a vinyl sheet from a decal maker big enough to fit over your emblem. Apply that then carefully cut off the excess.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I am picking up my 2014 cruze 2.0 Turbo Diesel tomorrow and I'm starting to get really excited. I think we need to update this maintenance page so it includes some info on the diesel's now :). Anyway just wanted to say hi, looking forward to chatting with all of you!

·
Administrator
15,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am picking up my 2014 cruze 2.0 Turbo Diesel tomorrow and I'm starting to get really excited. I think we need to update this maintenance page so it includes some info on the diesel's now :). Anyway just wanted to say hi, looking forward to chatting with all of you!
About the only thing I'd do for the diesel is a brake fluid flush. Can't think of anything else. Most if not all of these issues are specific to non-diesel Cruzes.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
I just got my chevy cruze Eco and I'm soo excited about starting mods on my new ride the first thing I want to do is black out my bow ties anybody know how I can go about that

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Why do some members register and make a post to never log on again? And she was soo excited :eek7:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Got my Gen 2 last year and love it. Though its only rated for 43 mpg highway its common for me to get 50-55+ mpg doing about 60-85 on the highway. The best I got was 61.1 mpg in 20 miles and 55.3 in the 50 mile display and almost 45 on the 450 miles display.
The main advice to get the best mpg is maintenence maintenance maintenence.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Are all of these suggestions here just general suggestions for both generations of Cruze or mostly Gen1? If just gen1 is there suggestions for Gen2?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Good tip on the oil. I've been told these vehicles hate the wrong oil... and a lot of the time have been mistreated oil wise when purchased used. Thank you!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Has anyone tested the Mobil full synthetic annual protection oil yet? I know they claim 20,000 miles but no way would I let it go that long. Do you think it would last 10,000 miles and be safe to use?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Rear Plate Lights

Hey guys noob here and fairly new Cruze owner. Actually it's the old lady's ride. 2014 1.4L torbo rs. My plate lights are out and can't seem to find anything except something about corrosion and that didnt help, I also put the test light to the housings and no power but all other lights work. If you could direct me to the proper thread i'd appreciate it.
Also at ExtremeRevolution I could'nt find your posts about the resonator disconnect/delete after accidentally finding it before. So i took a look and removed the 6 inch ish connector from the filter box to what i believe is the resonator. Is that all I needed to do? Thanks again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Rear Plate Lights

Ok third time is a charm right? Ddint realize i had to click the link in my email before posting. Ok noob here guys and new to the site. Old lady's car actually. 2014 1.4L turbo rs. My rear plate lights are out and not finding much about it except corrosion which didnt fix them. I also put the test light to them and no power but all other lights work fine so if you could point me to the correct thread i'd appreciate it. Thanks.
Also @ ExtremeRevolution I could'nt find your posts about resonator disconnect/delete after accidentally finding it searching for this plate issue. So i took a look and removed the 6 inch ish coupler from the filter box to what i believe is the resonator. Is that all I needed to do? Thanks again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was able to fix it. I followed the wire checking for power as i went because i had power at the plug for the harness. I found that the metal connector inside the shrink tube where the blue plate light power wire splits to power each light was corroded and actually the wire broke off as i cut into the tube.

·
Super Moderator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
7,534 Posts
Ok third time is a charm right? Ddint realize i had to click the link in my email before posting. Ok noob here guys and new to the site. Old lady's car actually. 2014 1.4L turbo rs. My rear plate lights are out and not finding much about it except corrosion which didnt fix them. I also put the test light to them and no power but all other lights work fine so if you could point me to the correct thread i'd appreciate it. Thanks.
Also @ ExtremeRevolution I could'nt find your posts about resonator disconnect/delete after accidentally finding it searching for this plate issue. So i took a look and removed the 6 inch ish coupler from the filter box to what i believe is the resonator. Is that all I needed to do? Thanks again.

I can delete some of those duplicate posts if you want. Tell me which one to keep.

[h=1]How To Bypass the Intake Resonator[/h]

1 - 20 of 28 Posts