Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
New member, here due to a Cylinder 1 misfire. 2017 chevrolet cruze LT, automatic, 1.4L with 37k miles on it. From what I'm seeing this is the 2nd gen and not a lot of information is out there. Tons of engine pics for the 1st gen, but not 2nd gen. I've replaced plugs, changed out the ignition coil. Still have a misfire. There are some that say it could be a pcv valve or evap purge valve. I purchased a pcv valve, but the bolt that holds it on is not a standard torx, and it's not even a mortorq twisted. It looks more like a 5 point star fish. Dealership told me they don't sell the tool, checked with the snap-on truck that was there that day but they didn't have it either. Anyone know what the tool is called? starfishpcv.jpg

·
Registered
829 Posts
New member, here due to a Cylinder 1 misfire. 2017 chevrolet cruze LT, automatic, 1.4L with 37k miles on it. From what I'm seeing this is the 2nd gen and not a lot of information is out there. Tons of engine pics for the 1st gen, but not 2nd gen. I've replaced plugs, changed out the ignition coil. Still have a misfire. There are some that say it could be a pcv valve or evap purge valve. I purchased a pcv valve, but the bolt that holds it on is not a standard torx, and it's not even a mortorq twisted. It looks more like a 5 point star fish. Dealership told me they don't sell the tool, checked with the snap-on truck that was there that day but they didn't have it either. Anyone know what the tool is called? View attachment 269417
First....Obvious question why arent you having a dealer do this diagnosis/work?

Secondly you're likely to find you need to buy the PCV pipes in order to install that pcv fresh air valve. The pipes are tamper resistant.

Related to your tool question it's technically a Loctec #6 tamper proof bit. GM labels it tool number En-50956. They are expensive. You could probably get an entire set of Penta lobed torx plus tamper proof bits from Amazon for less then the single #6 Loctec. They aren't exactly the same, but close enough since the bolt isn't torqued very tight.

Lastly, the fresh air inlet is really unlikely to be causing your misfires. It's much more likely to be fuel, oil, spark plug or fuel injector related on this engine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
First....Obvious question why arent you having a dealer do this diagnosis/work?

Secondly you're likely to find you need to buy the PCV pipes in order to install that pcv fresh air valve. The pipes are tamper resistant.

Related to your tool question it's technically a Loctec #6 tamper proof bit. GM labels it tool number En-50956. They are expensive. You could probably get an entire set of Penta lobed torx plus tamper proof bits from Amazon for less then the single #6 Loctec. They aren't exactly the same, but close enough since the bolt isn't torqued very tight.

Lastly, the fresh air inlet is really unlikely to be causing your misfires. It's much more likely to be fuel, oil, spark plug or fuel injector related on this engine.
Thanks for the information about the tool. Since you advised dealer service, are you saying this issue is possibly powertrain? (makes sense now that I think of it, but initially I thought of it as maintenance like changing spark plugs). My thought was it would be part of the basic 36k warranty which is now in the rearview mirror.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi new user here. Just bought a 2011 LT with 22k miles. The links listed in OP seem to be dead. Mainly interested in the info for the spark plugs and drum brakes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi I’m new here and just bought a used gen2 Cruze ls. It’s a 2017 with 19,000 miles on it. Looking forward to modding it. Anyway I saw the post about oil, and was wondering what oil you guys recommend I was planning on putting full synthetic in it when the time came. Just wanted to know if there was a brand that was better or something specific I should be looking for.
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
7,484 Posts
Hi I’m new here and just bought a used gen2 Cruze ls. It’s a 2017 with 19,000 miles on it. Looking forward to modding it. Anyway I saw the post about oil, and was wondering what oil you guys recommend I was planning on putting full synthetic in it when the time came. Just wanted to know if there was a brand that was better or something specific I should be looking for.
Thanks
Welcome Aboard!(y)

AMSOIL Products for the 2016+ Gen2 Cruze

Don't forget to introduce yourself and your Cruze here.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey folks. New 2017 LS owner here (bought with 11K miles... now 15K miles).

Has anyone notices a slight rattling sound when going over bumps / hitting slight potholes / rumble strips?

I do not believe this is normal and will be bringing up when I bring it in to dealer for 15K routine maintenance.

Just curious whether this is a common issue with the 2017 Cruze or not.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts