Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went ahead and purchased a TD. This is my 3rd Cruze. We still have our first, a 2011 LT2. Unfortunately I traded in my 2011 Eco 6spd on a Chevy Colorado but was disappointed with the truck. It was traded in Saturday on a Gen 2 Automatic TD. I am really looking forward to spending years with this car. I have been impressed so far and plan to pull a small trailer with it to make up for the loss of the Truck. In doing research I found the torque was not that much different from the Colorado. I have regretted trading in my Eco even since I did it so hopefully this will make it right. I've enjoyed the forum through the years so keep the hints and info coming.

·
Premium Member
2,696 Posts
Congratulations on the diesel, hoping it will bring you years of happy Cruzin’

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My wife said my expectations were too high. We had a 3500 lb travel trailer and the truck struggled to pull it usually keeping the tach in the 4500 rpm range and getting approximately 6-8 MPG. It was an extended cab work truck with the 3.6L V6 and towing package. It was a great truck if you just wanted to drive around with it but as soon as you hooked a trailer to it the struggle was on. I did put the Trifecta tune on it which made it nice for every day driving but didn't seem to help with towing. I should have definitely got a diesel.

·
Premium Member
2,696 Posts
My wife said my expectations were too high. We had a 3500 lb travel trailer and the truck struggled to pull it usually keeping the tach in the 4500 rpm range and getting approximately 6-8 MPG. It was an extended cab work truck with the 3.6L V6 and towing package. It was a great truck if you just wanted to drive around with it but as soon as you hooked a trailer to it the struggle was on. I did put the Trifecta tune on it which made it nice for every day driving but didn't seem to help with towing. I should have definitely got a diesel.
Sorry to disagree with your wife but you’re right about towing with a sixer, even a tuned one.

I AM however very intrigued by the small-block diesel Colorado. Sounds like that would be an attractive combination of tow capacity and fuel efficiency. If you can get past the price premium that is.

You will LOVE the Cruze Diesel efficiency.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wanted a diesel Colorado but couldn't get past the price. It isn't currently offered in the extended cab or anything less than the LT. That being said the diesel costs more like $10,000 above the V6 WT. Installing a trailer hitch on my new car now. Wiring was a breeze with the kit I got. Getting ready to take bumper facia off and install the hardware.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Have heard this more than once, but if your getting a mid size PU like the Colorado or Canyon, you'd better get the 2.8 diesel. Even the magazines love thus engine/truck combination over the gasser. If you need to tow, it has all the torque you need and the trans is apparently very well matched to the diesel.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Have heard this more than once, but if your getting a mid size PU like the Colorado or Canyon, you'd better get the 2.8 diesel. Even the magazines love thus engine/truck combination over the gasser. If you need to tow, it has all the torque you need and the trans is apparently very well matched to the diesel.
the only thing that I have towed so far is my 12 foot cargo trailer with a 700 lb motorcycle. towed like it wasn`t there.

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Atleast your not getting a random chemical smell after a auto start that last for 20 seconds and then goes away

1 - 13 of 13 Posts