Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys...

Recently gotta 2012 2LS from my neighbor with 120K miles. Much maintenance was neglected which is easy to rectify, but one thing I'm unsure about. quite often the car jerks. It sometimes jerks real bad when pulling away from a stop. There are other minor jerks when letting my foot off the gas while coasting. There's also a rough idle while the engine is cold, and the car sometimes seems to almost stall right after putting into drive or reverse. These symptoms go away once the engine is warmed up. At first I thought it was definitely the transmission, but the more I've read up, the more I think it might be throttle body related.

I did a quick cleaning of the throttle body valve as best I could w/out removing it, but it didn't make a difference. So I wondering what you guys think... with 120K miles on it, should I consider purchasing a new one? What about a new MAP sensor? Thoughts? Ideas?

Thanks!

·
The Nuclear Option
2015 Chevrolet Cruze LT 1.4L Turbo
5,152 Posts
Hey guys...

Recently gotta 2012 2LS from my neighbor with 120K miles. Much maintenance was neglected which is easy to rectify, but one thing I'm unsure about. quite often the car jerks. It sometimes jerks real bad when pulling away from a stop. There are other minor jerks when letting my foot off the gas while coasting. There's also a rough idle while the engine is cold, and the car sometimes seems to almost stall right after putting into drive or reverse. These symptoms go away once the engine is warmed up. At first I thought it was definitely the transmission, but the more I've read up, the more I think it might be throttle body related.

I did a quick cleaning of the throttle body valve as best I could w/out removing it, but it didn't make a difference. So I wondering what you guys think... with 120K miles on it, should I consider purchasing a new one? What about a new MAP sensor? Thoughts? Ideas?

Thanks!
When cleaning the throttle body, did you open it manually by hand? If you did you need to replace it.

Poorly maintained Cruzes can be a nightmare. The engines are very unforgiving with neglect.

Do you have any trouble codes that would point you in a direction in which to start? Also get familiar with the search function. There is 12 years of information on this forum.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When cleaning the throttle body, did you open it manually by hand? If you did you need to replace it.

Poorly maintained Cruzes can be a nightmare. The engines are very unforgiving with neglect.

Do you have any trouble codes that would point you in a direction in which to start? Also get familiar with the search function. There is 12 years of information on this forum.
Hi. Thanks for responding. yes... I opened the valve manually. I guess that's a no-no!!!??? I guess I should have someone step on the gas pedal instead??? But I don't have any trouble codes, so that's good. And yes...browsing the 400 or so throttle body threads now!!!

·
Registered
2015 Cruze 1.4L engine 6 speed AT
738 Posts
Given the symptoms, it could be any of a dozen items. You'll need to look for codes and pending codes.
Also, use the live data to watch the throttle position, and see if it is tracking properly.

Cleaning the throttle body can cause issues if not done with care. Disconnecting the negative battery terminal, then disconnecting the throttle body connector. And gently moving the throttle plate has never gone wrong for me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. I’ve replaced the throttle body this morning and I think it drives better. The rough idle is definitely gone.
Any thoughts on the hard jerking when pulling away from a stop? I should probably start a new thread for that.

·
Registered
2015 Cruze 1.4L engine 6 speed AT
738 Posts
Thanks for the update. (y)

Again, it could be any of a dozen issues. I like to start by looking at the cheap easy fixes first.

First, clean the MAF sensor.
Then I'd look at replacing the spark plugs.

If you need more help after this, ya I'd start a new thread.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts