Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! My name is Jason and I have owned my Cruze since August. I have searched around the forum before and figured I would make an account. Anyway, my junk OE Firestone FR710 tires wore down to 4/32s after about 4k miles. I always hated these tires because they had horrible wet traction and would cause the front end to bounce in the rain, and they handled poorly. I decided to use my tax rebate to replace them with a set of Cooper CS5 Ultra Touring. I sprung for the H rated version in the stock size, and got them from Discount Tire Direct for 91 dollars a tire and a 60 dollar rebate. So it came out to about 300 bucks for a set of 4 tires. Let me tell you, these things are awesome! They are so quiet and make the car handle way better, especially on the highway where the car used to wander because of the Firestone's soft sidewalls. Wet traction is very good too. The tires no longer spin like crazy in the rain. I am incredibly happy with these Coopers and just had to recommend them to the other Cruze owners! FYi- these tires are made in the USA and I received the rebate within a month of buying them.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I figured I'd update this thread now that I've had these Coopers for about 5k miles. In all honesty, these tires were great in the beginning but now are pretty awful. First of all, at 5,000 miles all 4 of these Coopers are at 5.5/32nds of tread. Second, now that they are half worn they are incredibly unstable feeling. They don't have the wet traction they originally had, and feel skittish around the corners and on the highway. I hadn't really noticed this until I put on my winter tires for this year. Quite frankly, it was getting scary on the highway. Especially going about 80, they'd start wondering all over the place. My winter tires were so much of a drastic change that I looked down the other day on the interstate and I was going 85 and didn't even realize. The third issue is now that they are half worn they are also noisy and the ride seems to have become very hard. As you can probably tell, I' m not too happy. They are wearing absurdly quick, but nonetheless you get what you pay for. Hopefully Discount Tire can help me out when they need replaced in the spring!

·
Registered
113 Posts
I used to swear by Coopers, but we got a set of replacement tires for my Enclave a few years back and they lasted about 18 months and 20K miles - thankfully we had a tire warranty and got them replaced with Michelin's. Your experience above tells me that Cooper is not making the same quality as in the past :(

·
Registered
481 Posts
I used to love Cooper as well, but anymore, I'd rather spring for a serenity over them, especially if I also run snow tires.

·
Vendor
131 Posts
I figured I'd update this thread now that I've had these Coopers for about 5k miles. In all honesty, these tires were great in the beginning but now are pretty awful. First of all, at 5,000 miles all 4 of these Coopers are at 5.5/32nds of tread. Second, now that they are half worn they are incredibly unstable feeling. They don't have the wet traction they originally had, and feel skittish around the corners and on the highway. I hadn't really noticed this until I put on my winter tires for this year. Quite frankly, it was getting scary on the highway. Especially going about 80, they'd start wondering all over the place. My winter tires were so much of a drastic change that I looked down the other day on the interstate and I was going 85 and didn't even realize. The third issue is now that they are half worn they are also noisy and the ride seems to have become very hard. As you can probably tell, I' m not too happy. They are wearing absurdly quick, but nonetheless you get what you pay for. Hopefully Discount Tire can help me out when they need replaced in the spring!
I'm sorry to hear you're not happy with your tires. Shoot us a PM and reference this post when you're ready to swap them out and we'll make sure you're taken care of.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
I used to swear by Coopers, but we got a set of replacement tires for my Enclave a few years back and they lasted about 18 months and 20K miles - thankfully we had a tire warranty and got them replaced with Michelin's. Your experience above tells me that Cooper is not making the same quality as in the past :(
Michelin is always the answer.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
On black Friday I called up Discount Tire, and they ended up warrantying the Coopers after I sent them some photos. I ended up getting back almost what I paid for the Coopers. As for the new tires, I decided on Continental PureContacts (H speed rated) as a few other members have had good luck with them, they have stellar reviews, and there was a 100 dollar rebate. The Contis probably won't be on at least until March since I run the winter tires until then. I am very happy with how Discount Tire treated me!! They made the warranty process painless, and I will continue to buy tires from them in the future.

·
Administrator
25,038 Posts
My local Discount Tire even got me a refund on the unused part of my OEM Goodyears because one of the tires wouldn't hold air. Great company with truly customer friendly attitude.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I drive the speed limit. These were just defective tires. In fact, this seems to be a Cooper issue. The Grand Touring CS5s on our Town and Country lost 3/32nds of tread on all 4 in the first 1k miles. My best friend has a Dodge Neon and she had Definity tires (made by Cooper), and hers were shot in 6k. Another person I know had a set of Coopers a few months ago that were showing cords in about 6k miles on a 12 Legacy. Its funny, the first discount tire guy asked me if I was drifting and I'd honestly like to know how one drifts in a FWD economy car with 138 hp. Kinda pissed me off as the customer to be accused, but the second person was very nice and helpful.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Ok, I understood you to say the OEM Firestone's lasted only 4k miles, sorry

I drive the speed limit. These were just defective tires. In fact, this seems to be a Cooper issue. The Grand Touring CS5s on our Town and Country lost 3/32nds of tread on all 4 in the first 1k miles. My best friend has a Dodge Neon and she had Definity tires (made by Cooper), and hers were shot in 6k. Another person I know had a set of Coopers a few months ago that were showing cords in about 6k miles on a 12 Legacy. Its funny, the first discount tire guy asked me if I was drifting and I'd honestly like to know how one drifts in a FWD economy car with 138 hp. Kinda pissed me off as the customer to be accused, but the second person was very nice and helpful.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No need to apologize, there's no worries here lol. The Firestone's I've noticed on Cruze's at my work seem to be a mixed bag. Some people have like 40k miles on them, and others they are done at 15k. I think they wear to halfway really quickly, then slow down a lot from there. Mine could have for sure lasted longer, but I couldn't stand how bad the wet traction was. I ended up selling them used and that's how I ended up with the Coopers.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts