Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I've been reading through the forum and everyone seems to like the Pirelli Cinturato p7s, the Goodyear assurance fuel max and the Continental pure contacts. I haven't had any issues with the stock tires averaging 40+mpgs for the life of the car and over 71000miles on them which I am very happy with (OCD style rotating) . However winter is coming here in Chicago and that means lots of snow, ice on bridges and having to sometimes deal with idiots I have to swerve around and pull evasive maneuvers to avoid collisions. Therefore I don't want to risk running on my low tred, I would probably push it more if I was somewhere where it does not snow.

I'm assuming most everyone has used the Goodyears since they are stock but has anyone changed to the Pirellis or Continentals and gotten better results? Let me know what you guys think is the best. I'm not too concerned with money more so MPGs, tredlife, (I see the continentals have 80k warranty and Goodyears only 65k but the only con listed on tire rack is that people dont seem to get 80k out of the continentals and I got more miles on my goodyears than the 65k it is rated for). Snow is a bit of an issue but I never had any problems in wet snow with the Goodyears like everyone complains about, not saying it isnt an issue but I never noticed anything in 4 winters of driving them. Also if I missed some other decent tires in my research I am open to those too.

OK one last thing, continental has a $70 visa prepaid card if I order 4 by Nov 2nd, is that enough reason to go for those? Thanks for any help! :eusa_clap::):eusa_clap::)

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
16,985 Posts
Continental pro contacts
You want to change that to PureContacts. The Pros are often an OEM tire, and they're not really too great in any category (really bad in snow, sub-par in rain, noise...). However, the Pure is a much better all-rounder.

I'm happy with my set, but there are lots of great choices in the class. FWIW, I'll be purchasing a set of the P7's for our other car next month, as I hear they have a softer, quieter ride. Ride softness/quality would be my only demerit for the PureContact vs the FR710 stock tires on my car, but then I went up several speed ratings and have a massive cornering improvement as well.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Just bought the P7 Cinturato for our mazda 3s hoping they will last longer than the 30,000 miles we got out of all our other tires.
Haven't driven in bad weather yet but I like they way they drive and are pretty quiet.
I think I am will get the pirelli's on my cruze when the time comes.

·
Administrator
25,600 Posts
I have the Perelli Cinturato P7 on my ECO MT. I'm seriously considering replacing them when they wear out with another set of P7s.

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
There are also the new Continental TrueContact that seems to be getting good ratings on TireRack. I'm curious about those as replacements when my OEM Goodyears wear out.

·
Registered
481 Posts
From what I've heard, continental is a great tire in the "pure" form. Some claim to have lost MPG, I can't quantify that claim personally. My personal preference makes me avoid Goodyear and perelli, but they make decent tires. The ecopia from bridgestone handles snow fairly well for an eco tire, but some people complain about the "somewhat floppy" feeling from them when handling.

Judging by your location and traffic concerns, if you walked into my shop I'd strongly recommend winter treads and another all season for the rest of the year.

·
Registered
151 Posts
There are also the new Continental TrueContact that seems to be getting good ratings on TireRack. I'm curious about those as replacements when my OEM Goodyears wear out.
Put a set of those on my wife's car, very happy with them. They ride nicely, are quiet, didn't lose any mpg and they handled the snow here last winter quite well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks for all the replys everyone, I am not sure which tires I will go for yet. That $70 rebate card and people liking the purecontacts makes me want to go that way.

One last thing, has anyone tried to put on some 225-55-r17s on our stock ECO rim? With my last car, a Countour SVT, I was able to go from a 215-50-r16s to 225-50-r16s and they fit on the stock rim fine, I had a couple techs complain to me it was a pain to get them on but I just gave them a tip for the extra work. They seemed to get a boost in handling from the slightly bigger size.

·
Administrator
25,600 Posts
Mike, didn't you report a significant MPG loss when you switched to these?
About 1-2 MPG, but you always lose MPG when you put new tires on. My last tank, pump measured was 49.6 MPG. The trade off I'm debating is the extra traction from the P7s vs. the 1-2 MPG extra from the Goodyear FuelMax Assurance. The P7s are definitely quieter and softer. The extra traction might be nice in the winter since I'm now driving the west side of Denver and have a significant hill to climb in each direction on my commute.

·
16,985 Posts
About 1-2 MPG, but you always lose MPG when you put new tires on. My last tank, pump measured was 49.6 MPG. The trade off I'm debating is the extra traction from the P7s vs. the 1-2 MPG extra from the Goodyear FuelMax Assurance. The P7s are definitely quieter and softer. The extra traction might be nice in the winter since I'm now driving the west side of Denver and have a significant hill to climb in each direction on my commute.
Mine were about a 2 MPG hit for the first 7,000 miles or so. Been a year or about 10,000 miles on them now. This summer into fall, my MPG is right back where it was with the FR710s. Granted, those weren't a LRR tire though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yea upon further review the P7s look like the way to go, they are quite a bit more money though. trying to find them under $700 installed is tough

·
Registered
441 Posts
I'd like to add something else here. For those of you that have the Conti PureContact or the Pirelli P7 how has your treadwear been? I am curious because the Cooper CS5 Ultra Tourings (I have a thread on them) are going to be worn out be this spring.

·
16,985 Posts
I'd like to add something else here. For those of you that have the Conti PureContact or the Pirelli P7 how has your treadwear been? I am curious because the Cooper CS5 Ultra Tourings (I have a thread on them) are going to be worn out be this spring.
They still look like brand new 10k in. Can't say the same for my Firestones - they wore very quickly.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Very cool! I agree with you on the Firestones, but the Coopers I bought to replace the Firestones are even worse. All 4 are at 5.5/32nds with 5k on them. I'm not too happy with them, but they were cheap. So I guess I got what I paid for.

·
Administrator
25,600 Posts
My P7s have about 5-6/16ths left after 40K miles - just enough to head into the winter with. I have one not holding air but I believe its the one I had to repair due to a large (soda straw sized) puncture in the tread. I run mine at 45 PSI. Assuming the one tire doesn't decide to just not hold air any longer I'll replace these in the Spring with about 50K miles on them. I don't want to drive to Lordstown with a tire that leaks.

·
Premium Member
4,501 Posts
I went with more of an aggressive summer tire, Falken Ziex. But I wanted more grip and don't really care for the lose of MPG even though I can still get good MPG.

·
Administrator
25,600 Posts
I went with more of an aggressive summer tire, Falken Ziex. But I wanted more grip and don't really care for the lose of MPG even though I can still get good MPG.
Don't you autocross? This requires as sticky a tire as you can get.

·
Premium Member
4,501 Posts
Yes but u haven't been since I put these tires on I will hopefully go in November

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The cruze can autocross? I have been very disappointed by the handling of the Cruze but attributed it to it being more of an econ car but maybe the non eco varieties have better suspension systems. I take off and on ramps for the highway at least 20% slower then I used to in my old car :(

1 - 20 of 29 Posts