Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 2011 Cruze Eco. I did 17 or 18 years in S/C 3800 W-bodies, but I grew tired of engine swaps and tuning and want more time for other things. So from 400Ft-lb to the tires to what, 100? I like to think I'm growing up. Since I could get 30MPG out of my Regal GS, I wasn't interested in smaller cars that only advertised mid-30s. So, I couldn't see any point buying a Cruze that wasn't Eco MT. And with 1 week of driving, the average is showing over 41MPG, so this one-trick pony is at least doing its trick. After pulling a TT across the US with a Suburban this summer, only burning 10 gallons in a week almost seems laughable.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I'm 5.5 miles from work and a 1/4 tank lasts me a week plus running errands too.
The cruze sure sips the gas but that's it. Like you said with a half an engine there's no power.
But that's not why I bought my '13 ECO. Gas was $4/gallon when I bought her and a year? later it crashed back to the $2-$3 range

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
That one-trick pony is actually quite good at daily driving needs once you get used to the gearing. Mid-range acceleration is better than you would expect.

Just consider the ECO MT to be a performance car - redefine performance as bypassing all those gas stations you used to stop at.

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
Welcome, always impressed with the Eco mpg figures.

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
I have a 13+ mile trip to work depending on which way I go. I mange 50+ all summer long. Then it plummets down to 40-42 when just cold weather hits. 20-40 degrees and 10 mpg drop....winter blend doesn't help but **** lol

·
Registered
125 Posts
That one-trick pony is actually quite good at daily driving needs once you get used to the gearing. Mid-range acceleration is better than you would expect.

Just consider the ECO MT to be a performance car - redefine performance as bypassing all those gas stations you used to stop at.

The Cruze appeals to my practical side. It is decent looking, has plenty of options, and safety features too. I noticed Fitzgerald driving school uses the Chevy Cruze to teach students to drive.:biggrin:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, I think my thought process is it's a compact car, getting close to the sub-compact fuel economy, but still an actual sedan form factor. Anything smaller isn't a "real car" that the kids can climb in the back of. There is no car today that holds 6, so we will always have another larger vehicle but when usually it's just me commuting, having one high MPG vehicle makes sense.

I started with 30 and 40 degree weather. So MPG will go up in the spring?

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Yeah, I think my thought process is it's a compact car, getting close to the sub-compact fuel economy, but still an actual sedan form factor. Anything smaller isn't a "real car" that the kids can climb in the back of. There is no car today that holds 6, so we will always have another larger vehicle but when usually it's just me commuting, having one high MPG vehicle makes sense.

Your username is ticketmagnet, do you have a lead foot? lol
License ever been suspended?

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts

It should. My ECO MT lost about 10 to 20% efficiency in cold weather. This meant that in the summer I was pushing 50 MPG when driving sanely but the same driving in the winter was in the low 40% on the same drives. My issue is I'm a leadfoot and driving sanely drives me insane.

·
Premium Member
5,638 Posts
I'm 5.5 miles from work and a 1/4 tank lasts me a week plus running errands too.
The cruze sure sips the gas but that's it. Like you said with a half an engine there's no power.
But that's not why I bought my '13 ECO. Gas was $4/gallon when I bought her and a year? later it crashed back to the $2-$3 range
I have news for you, Gas is headed back to the $4 range sooner than you think, currently $3.99 in L.A. Got 40 MPG on the I 40 yesterday:popblood:

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I watch wholesale gasoline prices. I try to time the price fixing at the pumps this way and no it's not a perfect plan. Watching one station increase their price 30-40 cents I'll get gas ASAP weather I need it or not because they all don't change their price within 10 minutes. Usually 12-24 hours.
Anyway wholesale gas was $1.85 last week and it creeped down to $1.70 earlier this week. Now it's $1.75 so around here pump prices should be 70-75 cents higher with state and federal taxes added. Your area will vary especially commiefornia.
https://www.bloomberg.com/markets/commodities

·
Premium Member
5,638 Posts
I watch wholesale gasoline prices. I try to time the price fixing at the pumps this way and no it's not a perfect plan. Watching one station increase their price 30-40 cents I'll get gas ASAP weather I need it or not because they all don't change their price within 10 minutes. Usually 12-24 hours.
Anyway wholesale gas was $1.85 last week and it creeped down to $1.70 earlier this week. Now it's $1.75 so around here pump prices should be 70-75 cents higher with state and federal taxes added. Your area will vary especially commiefornia.
https://www.bloomberg.com/markets/commodities
Yes but can you buy at wholesale? Not that long ago Priceline sold gas and you could lock in your retail purchase price, that only lasted a year or so!

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
[/QUOTE said:
It should. My ECO MT lost about 10 to 20% efficiency in cold weather. This meant that in the summer I was pushing 50 MPG when driving sanely but the same driving in the winter was in the low 40% on the same drives. My issue is I'm a leadfoot and driving sanely drives me insane.
That's right where I'm at. 50+ all summer and when it hits about 50 it starts to drop off. 30-40 degrees seems I get about 42. I did a choroplast cutout cover upper grill opening and it has bumped my normal trips up to 45-47. Winter blend gas hurts as well keep that in mind.

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts