Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I've just privately bought a 2010 Cruze VDCi LT (2 litre diesel auto) in the UK. (I haven't even picked it up yet LOL). I know it has a USB socket and a 3.5mm jack; I also know I'm unlikely to get Bluetooth music audio through the built-in stereo.

SO: I'm looking at Bluetooth dongles, right?

I just need to know: is the USB socket connected to the Stereo, or is it purely power? i.e. if I get my Bluetooth dongle, am I stuck with using the 3.5mm jack for the audio, or will the USB suffice on its own?

·
Super Moderator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
9,919 Posts
Hi

I've just privately bought a 2010 Cruze VDCi LT (2 litre diesel auto) in the UK. (I haven't even picked it up yet LOL). I know it has a USB socket and a 3.5mm jack; I also know I'm unlikely to get Bluetooth music audio through the built-in stereo.

SO: I'm looking at Bluetooth dongles, right?

I just need to know: is the USB socket connected to the Stereo, or is it purely power? i.e. if I get my Bluetooth dongle, am I stuck with using the 3.5mm jack for the audio, or will the USB suffice on its own?
Welcome Aboard!:welcome:

The USB port in my US spec 2014 LT is connected to the stereo. Works great. There are multiple threads that explain some of the quirks here as well. It will also function for power only.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Welcome!

Reactions: Stonelaughter

·
10,712 Posts
Welcome to the forums. Not sure how the overseas cars are built but the older ones before 2013 you needed the PIDM located under that useless coin holder in front of the gear shifter. See if you can find Bluetooth in the source options, if not then it could be a simple PICM swap if that works for your non US built Cruze. USB power is super low so I wouldn't rely on that for power. You would be better off with a Bluetooth Dongle that uses the cig lighter/aux receptacle behind the gear shifter.

I'm sure someone who has done the PIDM swap can help more.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Brilliant responses chaps and chappettes, thank you.

In view of the very low power output of the USB I will wait until my Bluetooth Dongle arrives, which has 3.5mm out.I also have a 4-way cigarette lighter splitter so I can hang my dashcam off it too.

I have a "Qualcomm Quick-Charge 3.0" USB adapter for my cigarette lighter too so won't have an issue charging my phone (main music source).

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
p.s. What's a PIDM? Google is only telling me about some Malaysian insurance thing.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK - Decision made. My Bluetooth Dongle arrives today - it's a neat little thing which won't look out of place with the car's control panel styling. Actually found out that my particular model doesn't have Bluetooth at all... which is odd but no biggie.

Thanks for all the help :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
1 - 12 of 12 Posts