Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey all...I have a 2014 Cruze 2.0T with about 45k miles, auto. I live in Utah, USA and love cars. I bought the Cruze diesel for the mileage and price. I drove a 2012 1.4T RS for a couple of years but I drive just under 100 miles to/from work so I traded for the diesel. I love the diesel and already have a Trifecta tune (which I love) and have owned it for a bout a year. It was used but had pretty low miles on it when I bought it.

Tuesday I forgot my wallet going to work and the fuel level was pretty low, maybe at 1/8th. The fuel low light came on about halfway home. I drove the rest of the way on "LOW" (no mileage on the estimate) hoping I would make it, which I did. But when I tried to start it today it wouldn't start. I purchased some diesel and put it in the tank. I cycled the key several times....I can hear the fuel gurgling at the pump in the back (not sure if this is the in-tank pump or not). It still won't start. I can't find anywhere on the web that shows how I can purge the air out of the fuel system....and I'm really frustrated that I ran it dry...I know better. Anyone know how I can purge the air?

Thanks in advance...and yes, I feel like an idiot...cuz I NEVER run out of gas...(now I just run out of diesel - which is worse)! I searched to see if this topic was posted in a thread but couldn't find it.

Eric

·
2,254 Posts
Welcome to CruzeTalk. I'm sure the diesel guys here will help you shortly.

Reactions: dougc905

·
Administrator
25,602 Posts
Welcome.

·
2,168 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Reactions: obermd

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
To the OP, with 45k miles on your diesel, have you changed the fuel filter yet? If you have not, might be a good idea. Good luck.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Changing the fuel filter isn't all that difficult if you can get the car on a lift. Regarding purging the air in the system, perhaps you need more fuel in the tank. Enough to provide additional force to help the pump through gravity (although that sounds silly - the pump should be pumping).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Welcome.
What kind of mileage do you get with that long commute?
I average about 40 mpg. Update on my non-starting issue: I replaced the fuel filter today, cycled the key until the battery died and it still won't start. I guess it's getting towed to the dealer...so very frustrating. I put 4 gallons of diesel in it so that should be plenty. The filter was full of fuel when i removed it so I think the problem is downstream-the injectors or there is an air lock in the lines. I was hoping to avoid the dealer.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
I average about 40 mpg. Update on my non-starting issue: I replaced the fuel filter today, cycled the key until the battery died and it still won't start. I guess it's getting towed to the dealer...so very frustrating. I put 4 gallons of diesel in it so that should be plenty. The filter was full of fuel when i removed it so I think the problem is downstream-the injectors or there is an air lock in the lines. I was hoping to avoid the dealer.

Well, that stinks. But it makes me wonder if your battery might be exacerbating the issue. If it doesn't have enough power to fully pressurize the system, that may contribute. If you're on your factory battery, you're on borrowed time. They seem to last at most 2 1/2 years.

Keep us posted.

I also added some context to the title of your post in case others have a similar issue, it will be easier to find.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Great...I guess I'll add a new battery to my list. ? I'll update after I find out what the extent of the issue is. Or issues...

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
If you can, put the battery on a charger. I'm not sure how the CTD behaves with a weak battery, but my understanding is that diesels in general need a strong battery to start. A gasser just has to "get over" top dead center, fire a spark plug and it's off and running. But a diesel has to crank over fast enough for the fuel to ignite from pressure. So it has to crank over "at speed" to start.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've had it on a charger since Friday. I don't mind buying a new battery - that's an item that is best kept in good working order. Especially a diesel in northern Utah. ?

·
Super Moderator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
9,968 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the link. Just got off the phone with service - it was air locked. Apparently there is a specific procedure to get the air out of the fuel line. I'm surprised that info isn't on the Web someplace. I guess I'm the first idiot to run my CTD dry. ? note to self - stash some cash in the car in the event you forget your wallet. ? ...and don't drive your CTD when the "low fuel" light comes on...

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
Sorry about your luck. I generally don't run that low very often. Thanks for sharing. Was probably a pretty easy fix for a dealer.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts