Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, quick question... I'm hearing a lot of different things, I need information about a tune. I'm about to go with trifecta because I like the one and done aspect of it and have heard many things both good and bad. I just purchased my first cruze a few days ago. 2012 6speed mt 2ltRS with 29k on the clock. Any ideas? Much appreciated ~Chunkee~

·
Registered
103 Posts
I just bought mine less than a month ago and my ultraguage blue would read an average of 8.2 (0-60) / 16.5 (1/4mile) in stock form. Just the base tune (first tune provided) from BNR, using EFI live, quickened it a bit. Now the ultraguage reads and average of 7.1 (0-60) / 15.4 (1/4mile). I've tried it 3 times already. That's with a K&N drop-in filter for the only physical mod. You will not regret a tune. I love the increase in power and drive ability very much. It's a whole new car at lower rpms! Now, I've got the ZZP catless downpipe on top of the tool box just waiting for BNR to provide a tune revision so I can run it with full potential. Just be willing to be patient, no matter who you choose. I think the companies, that tune the Cruze platform, are also busy tuning a lot of other platforms as well. I usually have to wait one complete week for an email response, but the responses have always been professional, informative, and productive.

Reactions: Oh So Chunkee

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice, down pipe is a big step, I had a Galant vr4 and a few other turbo cars but this cruze is just a daily as i'm currently building a turbo LQ4 04 Silverado SCSB... big snail on that one though, 81/76 lol, but anyways, i just want some more torque and my intake is on the way so I can be a ricer around town. Anyone see any MPG gains with trifecta?? Any issues with higher miles? I plan on keeping this cruze for a while...

·
Administrator
15,723 Posts
Definitely go with BNR. They make more power with the same boost and the customer service is far better than Trifecta's. BNR is seriously the best option for Cruze tuning available and they will tune for mods that Trifecta won't even touch. For the record, I've had both. Dozens if not over a hundred Cruze owners have switched from Trifecta to BNR. I have yet to see a single one switch from BNR to Trifecta. My gains were in the ~40whp and ~70lb-ft range. BNR also has a GTX upgraded turbo, valve springs, e85 kit, upgraded coils, etc. They are the only serious tuner in this market for the Cruze.

BNR Tune 2011-2016 Limited Chevrolet Cruze 1.4L Turbo

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
But how was the drivability with the trifecta? Be honest... I don't really want to tinker with this thing... I just want some more torque with some better mpg on the highway

·
Super Moderator
5,102 Posts
Welcome and I have a Trifecta select a tune on my 2012 Eco (several years old) and drivability is fine. The most I have to do is use premium fuel and it gives the car pretty good performance. I have never had to do any thing else to my car but drive it. I am not looking for all the HP and Torque etc just a car that drives the way I like and it does.

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
But how was the drivability with the trifecta? Be honest... I don't really want to tinker with this thing... I just want some more torque with some better mpg on the highway
it was fine.

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
If you don't want to tinker, maybe a tune is not for you. I would rather keep the car stock than go with a Trifecta tune, based on what I have seen.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
See I guess that's the give and take... Im a mechanic by heart, but when it comes to fiddling with my daily driver, I would rather do anything else... I dont know though, trifecta does sound pretty good and there are thousands of happy customers with it.

·
Administrator
15,723 Posts
Drivability with the BNR tune is what you want it to be. You're paying for a tuning service and can customize it to suit your preferences.
See I guess that's the give and take... Im a mechanic by heart, but when it comes to fiddling with my daily driver, I would rather do anything else... I dont know though, trifecta does sound pretty good and there are thousands of happy customers with it.
You should join our Facebook group and ask this same question. Trifecta used to be great a couple of years back, but since has not been the same. I used to be the biggest proponent for Trifecta here. I personally sold dozens of tunes for them. That all came to an abrupt stop in 2014. So many people got left out in the cold waiting for months for a tune that never ran right. Blatant issues with the car were written off as "everything looks fine." Sorry, I can no longer in good conscience recommend their tunes.

Sent from my BlackBerry PRIV using Tapatalk

·
Registered
103 Posts
Drivability with the BNR tune is what you want it to be. You're paying for a tuning service and can customize it to suit your preferences.
That's the exact reason I chose BNR over Trifecta. Having to drive around the perimeter of a lake, in Kentucky, to get to and from work, requires some healthy low end torque for a 3100lb car. All the undulations had the computer confused on what gear to use when the car was on the stock tune. The upshifting and downshifting got annoying the first week. Now the car never has to change gears at all. It will cruise up and down the hills and around the corners, at 50-60mph, while never shifting out of 6th gear. I'm stoked to see what more torque lies down low after the DP is installed and the tune is revised.

Reactions: XtremeRevolution

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have BNR and I love it. You can definitely tell the difference. You still get good mpg but when you need to step on it there is so much more power! I wouldn't recommend trifecta because a lot of people have has horror stories. They make less power at the same amount of boost that BNR does, that should tell you something. BNR runs the power safely and effectively. There are multiple people that have over 50k on a BNR tune with no issues. BNR hands down the best option! Also way better support.

·
Registered
2 Posts
BNR all the way. Best bang for your buck and awesome customer service. Jerry will definitely take care of you when it comes to tuning. You will still get good MPG when you aren't stepping on it but when you do you won't be disappointed at all.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I can't comment on the tune just yet but let me tell you about the customer service experience with both.

Trifecta was the first I contacted as BNR had yet to release their tune. They took a week plus to respond each time. Shows how important potential customers are.

I contacted BNR and had a response within an hour.

As for what I have witnessed, BNR is fast to tune and fast to update it when you need it. Trifecta makes mistake and then blames the customer. I am also pretty sure at one point I watched somebody who was then with trifecta, get so fed up that Jerry from BNR even tweaked it to make them happy.

As I said I can't comment on the difference with the tunes. However, when it comes to customer service BNR blows Trifecta out of the water.

·
Registered
576 Posts
So BNR is worth the money? Now I'm really leaning towards it...
Yes. You also get a hand held for reading codes and stuff. What do get from Trifecta? A cable. Lol

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
Yes. You also get a hand held for reading codes and stuff. What do get from Trifecta? A cable. Lol
You can read codes with that cable and the program on your computer.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts