Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

New to domestic, and cruzetalk

3K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  Merc6 
#1 ·
Hey cruzetalk, overally surprised to find myself posting on a domestic car forum as I have been a huge jdm/import buff since I have received my license.

My current DD was an 01 Altima, and my current summer car/fun car is a 93 skyline gts.

Been having non-stop issues with my altima (high kms as I travel alot for work/living) decided to bite the bullet and buy a new reliable car. I have been eyeing up a cruze since 2011 when a local car buddy bought a metallic red eco cruze, loved the look, loved the interior feel, loved the fact that it was turboed (Kind of have a turbo fetish)

I talked to a few local dealers, no one had one that I fancied.
Required options it had to have for me to buy
- Manual (not an option, but automatic is sickening to me)
- White in colour (white fours doors are another A++ for me)
- Sunroof
- Touch screen stereo/deck or whatever you would like to call it
- Heated seats (A luxury I've never had in any car I've owned)

I told the dealers these are what I wanted, they pointed me in the direction of a 2LT model and thats what I ended up buying.
I picked up a 2014 cruze 2LT with the RS package, Sun and Sound package, and a few other bits to help me through the terrible Canadian winters.
Sadly no dealers had this model with the options I wanted so I had to factory order, which means it will be a bit of a wait.

As I already have a car for bagging/modding/fun I won't be doing any performance mods to my cruze, but definitely plan on making it a eye catcher.
Plans for cruze
- Roof rack
- Plasti-dip majority of exterior (rims, grills, etc)

Open to suggestions on things for these cars, I am new to chevy and domestic but can't say I am not excited!

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to CruzeTalk and congrats on your 2LT. For the roof rack take a look at the GM Roof rack for the Cruze. It's a Thule modified aero bar rack.

#3 ·
Welcome to the cruze talk Be cool stay cozy keep cruzen and Best Wishes !

#4 ·
Welcome to the forum Krys. Since you already have a performance car, I say get some nice wheels and drop as much as your streets will allow.

Post pics of both your rides. The R33 is among my all time favorites.

#5 · (Edited)
I have an r32! R33's are so boaty....

Anyways, I don't have any shots of my cruze as it is still being shipped but here is the skyrine.

The second shot is by my girlfriend, the first is from myself.

Tastfully modded that includes
- Full 3" turbo back exhaust (front pipe, cat delete, Blitz nur spec R cat back exhaust)
- Front mount intercooler
- Hids
- Walbro 255lph fuel pump
- Apexi intake
- Various gauges
- Aftermarket badges
- Aftermarket stereo w/ 12" sub
- hks ssqv bov
- greddy turbo timer
- aftermarket hoses
- nismo fuel filter
- lots of aftermarket paint (trunk, engine covers, calipers, the list goes on)

If you'd like to check my skyline build
White Sedan in the 306

#6 ·
Ok, late model. Very nice, clean and simple.
What's with the blue? Seems out of place.

The r34 is a boat (still my favorite). The 33 is just right although it's the least favorite for performance.

#8 ·
As I say to everyone..... Mad jealous of that RS package :( all of the Cruzes around here are LTZs or LT/RSs not a single LS or LT (non RS) anywhere and its kind of depressing. Ahh well, once my tires die Ill invest in some alloys.

#9 ·
Once you get the Cruze, enjoy it!

Seeing how you're in Canada where gas is already dear, and premium even more so, a tune is up to you. It will wake up the Cruze nicely, but also needs premium.

#11 ·
Tuned or not, 87 just isnt something that should ever hit the tank of a turbo Cruze. 89 if stock, 91+ if tuned. You will see roughly half the price difference back in gas mileage (most of the time at least) and the rest with come from a smoother more luxurious feeling ride from not having the thing knock every time you press the pedal. Also, if you collect points, most stations are going to give you bonus for buying the 89+ so win-win. In the end, another 10c/L (87 up to 89 that is) is only $6 per tank and it is a worth while investment.

Regardless, the tune really brings out the beast in the 1.4T and makes the car a much more enjoyable ride. 2-mode tune so lower HP with slightly higher TQ, with smoother shifts and less need to downshift for hills and such, for everyday around town and for the highway you use the sport mode and listen to that little turbine spool. :) I personally found that I got better mileage tuned with the more confident transmission and a lighter foot, and having a little more pedal to work with on the highway is always nice when you need to accelerate quickly. I honestly believe that it should have come with this tune from the factory... it really makes the car MUCH more confident.

#13 ·
I typically run V-power (91 octane) is there a reason 89 is picked over 91 for cruzes? I'm not looking to get power or speed out of my cruze, bought it for a traveling car/DD but thanks for tips on the tune. Does tune void any warranty? (Assuming you mean trifecta)

#14 ·
I typically run V-power (91 octane) is there a reason 89 is picked over 91 for cruzes?
The 1.4T likes octane, the more the better(especially true in the heat of summer). I think most agree with 89 octane the engine runs much better than 87 octane, especially for the insignificant increase in cost. I think my cruze runs even better on premium, however I do not pick up enough mpg for it to be worth the extra 60 cents a gallon average around here.

#15 ·
89 is cheaper, but has most of the value of 91+ when not tuned. Tuned cars should be run on nothing but the best, though they will be able to adjust for 89, and possibly 87 (though why would you do that to your poor car.)

The Trifecta tune only voids the warranty if it can be proven that the tune itself (and NOT something else) caused any damage. To be safe, you can ask Trifecta to tune for lower boost levels (stock is 14psi, tuned is 16/21psi (ECO/Sport) I believe) and leave the tune "hidden" behind "transparency mode." If the warranty is really important to you and you want to be extra sure not to screw around with it, tuning is not for you. I personally wouldn't hesitate to tune again, and I intend to when the cash becomes avail. Im sure someone will provide us with a link to the "Trifecta tune vs. Warranty" thread too, but alas, I am far too lazy to produce it myself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.