Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

New to forum

697 5
Hello all. I am the PROUD owner of a 2017 Cruze RS Premier hatchback. Bought it new from the dealership. I absolutely love this car and I try to treat her nice. You can count on one hand the times that I haven’t filled up without premium gas. I keep her clean. I would like to ask a question, if I may. I am not Joe mechanic. I just put brake pads and rotors all the way around. I am curious about the performance chips that I have seen. Can you really just plug them in and you get more horsepower and better mileage? Does anything else need to be done? I am slightly nervous though. I once tried putting a bottle of octane boost into my tank. The car ran great, but once it was gone I noticed the engine hesitating and not running smooth. The dealership said that my pistons got too hot because of the octane boost. It eventually cleared up, but I would hate to do some real damage by running one of these performance Chips. Do you think the added horsepower would cause the same issue?
Any education you guys could give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Car Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Tire
Reactions: 17Hatch6MT
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red, 1.4T Auto
13,998 Posts
Hello all. I am the PROUD owner of a 2017 Cruze RS Premier hatchback. Bought it new from the dealership. I absolutely love this car and I try to treat her nice. You can count on one hand the times that I haven’t filled up without premium gas. I keep her clean. I would like to ask a question, if I may. I am not Joe mechanic. I just put brake pads and rotors all the way around. I am curious about the performance chips that I have seen. Can you really just plug them in and you get more horsepower and better mileage? Does anything else need to be done? I am slightly nervous though. I once tried putting a bottle of octane boost into my tank. The car ran great, but once it was gone I noticed the engine hesitating and not running smooth. The dealership said that my pistons got too hot because of the octane boost. It eventually cleared up, but I would hate to do some real damage by running one of these performance Chips. Do you think the added horsepower would cause the same issue?
Any education you guys could give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks View attachment 299802
View attachment 299801
Welcome Aboard!(y)

Judging by the RS emblem I am going to assume you have a 1.4 turbo engine. If that is true, continue to use premium. I don't know what the dealer was smoking, but octane boost does not cause piston burn. As for the "chip" you speak of, those do not work on the Cruze. You will need to buy a tune specific to your VIN. BNR, Trifecta, ZZP and Vermont tuning offer options. To compare them, look at both the Gen I and Gen II Tuning/Engine Modification Threads and specifically the Gen 1 Tuning Comparison Thread. I say that because unfortunately the Gen II thread is a bit lacking at the moment.

Gen 1 Tuning Comparison Thread
Gen 1 Tuning/Engine Modifications
Gen 2 Tuning/Engine Modifications

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
Welcome! Nice car. I agree with what @Blasirl said. The chips you mentioned are waste of money and you will probably not notice any differnece. If you want a tune spend a little extra money and get one from one of the places he mentioned.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts