Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, new to site , BUT Long time internet user and on many car forums. Here's my dilemma:

Found a great deal on a new 2015 CTD in the right color (dark) that lists for about $28 K and can be had with all sales incentives etc. for $20 K. It has everything I want except for the Engine Block heater (can this be added later at dealer??)

I've done a LOT of reading on here and have never owned a diesel, although I almost bought a TDi before the meltdown a few months back. I've seen stuff about catch cans and engine tunes (very familiar with this from a MB AMG standpoint) etc. My concern is, can I buy a diesel and other than normal routine oil changes get away with little maintenance or are these "maintenance monsters??" Whats the deal with this "manual regen" and how often does that need to be done? Filters, how often for the diesel?? I am located in the Midwest where normal Jan-Feb temps can go below 0 F at night and that's why I want block heater since car will be left outside. Note that I drive on average 100+ miles a day, mostly highway (70%) (30% urban or city). Diesel is about $20-30 cents more per gallon here than regular is right now.

Another issue: Since the next gen Cruze is already out (2016) and the new diesel is expected in mid-late 2016 as a 2017 model, is it better that I wait for the lighter and newer car with the different CTD engine or take the plunge and get the 2015 and roll the dice on values?? I have found many cars that sticker in the high 20's and pretty optioned out (27-29K) selling for the very low $20s. Even more so with Black Friday and Christmas events.

Let me know about the block heater too?? Appreciate any thoughts!!

·
Administrator
25,600 Posts
Based on your location I don't think you need an engine block heater. Just make sure you use winter blended diesel for the cold weather. We have diesel owners in much colder climates.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
My concern is, can I buy a diesel and other than normal routine oil changes get away with little maintenance or are these "maintenance monsters??"
Good question. I think that's something the community itself is trying to answer. Some have had good luck, others have not. Not real clear reason for the difference. (However, if I had to guess, it might be those who "open it up" periodically seem to have less trouble. That may be even more important if you do a lot of city driving.)

One thing that will make a difference in the experience is the dealer. You might want to look for a service dealer who does a lot of trucks. They're more likely to have someone in the shop who understands diesels.

·
Super Moderator
7,736 Posts
If you're a sale shopper then buy now. You will get a slightly more proven model where there is more expertise developed in its service and maintenance by dealerships.

If you want to pay more for the latest and greatest then wait until next calendar year and buy then. It is a new engine with no service history in North America.

2015 CTD is a 2.0 litre, and more powerful engine. But noisier and consumes more fuel than 2015.

2017 CTD will be a 1.6 litre, less powerful engine. But quieter and slightly more fuel efficient than 2015.

Whatever you do buy, I suggest you also purchase GMPP to assuage any anxieties you may have related to unplanned repairs.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
The cruze diesel does not have a block heater, it has a wimply oil pan heater as an option which really isn't that useful in almost any climate on earth IMO. There hasn't been a single cruze diesel here that hasn't started unless there was bad fuel involved or bad battery. Boraz up in British Columbia has started his in some crazy cold ambient temperatures like -45F or something with no issue.

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
Whats the deal with this "manual regen" and how often does that need to be done?!
The Cruze has an automatic regen. If the regen is interrupted too many times (this happens when the vehicle is shut off during the regen. If this is done 3 or 4 times, it goes into a reduced power state), the vehicle will typically need to be taken to the dealer for them to perform a manual regen in the unlikely event that the car doesn't resolve it itself.

I don't know of any diesel powered consumer car that has a manual regen option the driver can perform. With the Cruze, as mentioned, this is done automatically when the soot in the DPF reaches a certain level; which in this case is 22 grams. There is a gauge you can purchase that was tested by myself and a handful of other CruzeTalk members and is now available for purchase. It can read this soot level, regen status and various other pieces of data given off by the car's computer. You can check it out here: http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/64-chevy-cruze-diesel-general-discussion/132666-scangauge-ii.html

So in short, the regen isn't something you should be overly concerned about. The vehicle itself doesn't even tell you when the regen is occuring so GM obviously doesn't feel it's something worth stressing over as the car handles it fairly well. The vehicle must reach the normal operating temperature for the regen to begin and the optimal engine RPMs is around 2000 for the regen to complete. However, I've had a regen complete just fine in the city. If however the regen is interrupted too many times, it will go into a reduced power state and that is when it would need to be taken to the dealer.

·
Registered
104 Posts
No problems here, other than a bad starter solenoid. I don't do many short trips either, mostly highway. Power and mileage are great, I've never had any regen issues, only once in a while I'm getting about 10 less mpg for no reason, that's how I know it's doing its thing for 10 mins or whatever. Important to use the dexos 2 low ash formula oil for the emissions, dealer or online only and oil filters are also not available at auto parts stores. You get 2 years of maintenance free just make sure they put right oil in. My fuel filter is at 39% with 22,000 miles so 80-100 bucks every few years is nothing. Just crack the drain just incase there's water in filter. I did go through a tank getting about 30 mpg and couldn't figure out what was going on until I looked at receipt and realized I got fuel at some generic station, problem never returned I use marathon or shell or bp

·
Registered
104 Posts
I live in Michigan and temps were -10-15 several times and it starts fine with no block heater. I heard it has a thermostat that only works when the temperature is zero anyway

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just bought a CTD similar to the one the OP is describing (except Autumn Bronze) for less than $20K.
It's a good time to buy. I'd rather have the powerful and proven current engine. It's plenty efficient enough.

I traded a 2005 Mercedes C320 4Matic for it so obviously I'm not going to fear the maintenance of any Cruze very much.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thank you gentlemen for the great advice. I am looking at black 2LT with Sun and Sound, smokers for 12v power, mud flaps and safety package . Car can probably be had for <20K .

Are there any particular issues that are endemic to the car like def tanks ( saw a lot of posts about that) , , solenoid etc that are common?? I know from having owned many AMGs there always as issue(s) with a particular car with engine, body, suspension or electronics. Usually shared by a few or many. For example, head bolts in early C63 or seat heaters and radiator on C32. There's always something.

Thanks again for all the great advice. Note as I said above, I am looking at 70% highway and 30 urban/city and I won't be afraid to get on her at all( won't be babied). As a note, neighbor has a TDI Jetta DSG and he's averaging in the Mid 40s on Fuelly on the same commute as mine. This is why I am looking at a diesel. Note that avg sped on highway during commute is typically 70-75 mph. No plans to be a hyper-miler. There's lots of BP and Shell here for fuel. Oh, can we fill at standard truck stops too and how far for a DEF tank take you??

anyone recommend an extended warranty for these??

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just bought a CTD similar to the one the OP is describing (except Autumn Bronze) for less than $20K.
It's a good time to buy. I'd rather have the powerful and proven current engine. It's plenty efficient enough.

I traded a 2005 Mercedes C320 4Matic for it so obviously I'm not going to fear the maintenance of any Cruze very much.

I feel your pain, my various AMGs have been brutal regarding maintenance.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I feel your pain, my various AMGs have been brutal regarding maintenance.
Actually, I didn't really have any problems with it except for the taillights throwing codes for no good reason.
But no Cruze is ever going to offer the wallet emptying opportunities of an old MB, even with a unique powertrain.

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
Oh, can we fill at standard truck stops too and how far for a DEF tank take you??
So long as the nozzle will fit in the tank, you'll be able to fill up at a truck stop. DEF is DEF no matter where you buy it. As for how long it lasts, I'm at 22,000km and still on my factory filled tank of DEF.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So long as the nozzle will fit in the tank, you'll be able to fill up at a truck stop. DEF is DEF no matter where you buy it. As for how long it lasts, I'm at 22,000km and still on my factory filled tank of DEF.
@LiveTrash , I see you have the "safety" package. Are you able to turn any of the blind spot or cross traffic monitors off or do they remain on all the time?? If you can turn them off, does it really turn them off or just mute or silence the alert??

·
Super Moderator
7,736 Posts
Thank you gentlemen for the great advice. I am looking at black 2LT with Sun and Sound, smokers for 12v power, mud flaps and safety package . Car can probably be had for <20K .

Are there any particular issues that are endemic to the car like def tanks ( saw a lot of posts about that) , , solenoid etc that are common?? I know from having owned many AMGs there always as issue(s) with a particular car with engine, body, suspension or electronics. Usually shared by a few or many. For example, head bolts in early C63 or seat heaters and radiator on C32. There's always something.

Thanks again for all the great advice. Note as I said above, I am looking at 70% highway and 30 urban/city and I won't be afraid to get on her at all( won't be babied). As a note, neighbor has a TDI Jetta DSG and he's averaging in the Mid 40s on Fuelly on the same commute as mine. This is why I am looking at a diesel. Note that avg sped on highway during commute is typically 70-75 mph. No plans to be a hyper-miler. There's lots of BP and Shell here for fuel. Oh, can we fill at standard truck stops too and how far for a DEF tank take you??

anyone recommend an extended warranty for these??
As far as I know the Smokers package gives you an ashtray in one of your cup holders and cigarette lighter element. It does not give you an additional 12 volt outlet.

Extended warranty is called GMPP. It's risk management. Consider it insurance. I always buy them and most mechanics I know buy them too. The max when I bought was seven years / 100,000 miles / $0 deductible.

DEF costs me about $10 a year from the truck stop bulk nozzle. I fill my tank once a year. That's 19,000 miles. I run Shell V-power diesel exclusively. AKA Shell Fit. But it's not available in all markets.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
As far as I know the Smokers package gives you an ashtray in one of your cup holders and cigarette lighter element. It does not give you an additional 12 volt outlet.
This is correct, you loose the front power outlet in favor of a actual cigarette lighter socket. I've never actually used the cigarette lighter other than to see if it worked, but do prefer using the lighter socket as a power outlet since they seem to have a better connection.

The cup holder ash tray will hold $30 worth of quarters! I quit smoking 4+ years ago and use the savings to make my cruze payment. I didn't need the smokers package, but thought it was a nice reminder of how I got the car.

·
Administrator
25,600 Posts
This is correct, you loose the front power outlet in favor of a actual cigarette lighter socket. I've never actually used the cigarette lighter other than to see if it worked, but do prefer using the lighter socket as a power outlet since they seem to have a better connection.

The cup holder ash tray will hold $30 worth of quarters! I quit smoking 4+ years ago and use the savings to make my cruze payment. I didn't need the smokers package, but thought it was a nice reminder of how I got the car.
I second the front power outlet having a bad connection. I had to fix mine earlier this month. Now my cell phone charges in half the time it used to charge using the same power cable in the outlet.

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
I have 93000 miles and get 50 mpgs avg. I use mobil1 ESP 5w30, I get around 50000 out of fuel filter, still got 11% left on my fuel filter. DEF I get at the truck stop pump. I usually need a little over a gallon. I fill it after a oil change at 8000 miles. I get the oil filters at the dealer at wholesale around 9.00. This is a great car. IT does have a break in period of 5000 miles then it opens up.

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
@LiveTrash , I see you have the "safety" package. Are you able to turn any of the blind spot or cross traffic monitors off or do they remain on all the time?? If you can turn them off, does it really turn them off or just mute or silence the alert??
I've actually never tried. I am able to as I've noticed there is an option to disable both in the car's settings. I'll give it a try later when I head out and get back to you on that one.

·
Registered
253 Posts
It has been pretty much all described above. I have 21K on my 2014. I had it back to the dealer for a bad NOX sensor. They reflashed the computer & changed the sensor. All has been pretty good since. I really like the 2.0, it is a little torque monster. It will break 50 MPG on extended highway driving. I have a 35 mile commute in the Maryland/DC area and in traffic I get high 30's low 40's MPG.

I have never been an extended warranty guy, but will be buying the GMPP. I'm a pretty handy guy, but I don't know if I would be able to troubleshoot this car and all of its sophisticated emission system.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts