Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone, I am a new member and have been doing a lot of research on diesels in general. From looking at volkswagen(bad word) jetta, passats, and golfs. After doing a ton of research and reading a lot of horror stories with the vw tdi's as far as icing up intercoolers-causing hydro locking of the engine, issues with gelling of the fuel and issues with the high pressue fuel pump to top it off. I started to look at the chevy cruz diesel, and wanted to know if those same issues i listed with vw's are the same with the chevy cruze? I currently live in Ohio, so my winters are long and brutal. I currently drive an 09 outback with 130,000, the car is very reliable, but having to deal with blown head gaskets, failed cat, broken rod due to a failed cam seal i am basically done with this car. However, I do a lot of driving where i am doing 80 miles a day round trip for work, which equals 400 miles a week and 1600 a month on my car. So, that is why i am loooking into diesels, but i wanted to know if the chevy cruz is a very reliable car that doesn't seem to have the same issues as vw does? Thanks for all of your inputs and i look forward to learning as much as i can about the chevy cruz diesel.

·
Premium Member
4,143 Posts
Hello, I own a Diesel Cruze but it has a different engine to the US Cruze. However there is one guy on here who has written a report on his 50,000 miles here is the link.

[h=1]50000 Miles in a Cruze Diesel[/h]

Reactions: diesel

·
Super Moderator
7,794 Posts
We have members here from Canada who don't have any troubles starting their diesels.

If you consider your Subaru to be reliable than this car will blow your mind.

Take one for a test drive and let us know what you think.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I live in Michigan and this past winter was horrible. I had not problem starting mine in the below 0 temps. Go drive all the cars you are interested in and pick the one that fits you best. I preferred the Cruze over the VW's because of interior style.

·
10,712 Posts
There are a few NEOH CTD owners here, from the snow description it sounds like you are in our area of the state. The Cruze is no Subaru (I have a 05 Legacy GT) but you will get massive amounts of MPG over your current one for sure. Have you located and test drove one yet? Up this way there is usually 4 on the lots hidden in between LS models.

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
Hey Ramblinman,

Welcome! I am sure you will get great advice from the members here. If you need assistance locating the Cruze of your choice in your area, please let me know. You can reach out via private message. Happy hunting!

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
228 Posts
Haven't heard of any issues with the Cruze diesel, aside from an emissions system problem that was just a loose sensor. Fuel gel will depend on the quality and temperature. Be mindful of what mixture of fuel (#1/#2) you need for the temperatures and you'll be fine. Although, in Ohio, your stations will probably just have a winter blend beginning in October or November. That should be good for most of the winter, but if it's going to get extra cold, a splash of anti gel and you should be good. Be sure to pick some up BEFORE it's going to get cold though. If you wait until the forecast says it's going to be -20f, stores will be sold out of the stuff

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm also contemplating getting a cruze diesel. I'm in MI so our winters can be nasty. This last one was incredibly bad. #2 in history.

Any links to the additives and how/when to use them? This would be my first diesel anything

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
I live in Nova Scotia, Canada. Started my car with the standard option remote start ( love this feature that most new cars don't even have the option for) in -25°c temps without any problems. The aux electric heater works flawlessly and quickly, it starts clearing my frosty windshield within 1 minute.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I'm also contemplating getting a cruze diesel. I'm in MI so our winters can be nasty. This last one was incredibly bad. #2 in history.

Any links to the additives and how/when to use them? This would be my first diesel anything
It's just the power service recommended by many on this site. The white bottle. It has directions on how much to use on the bottle. I bought mine at Walmart.

Always buy quality fuel though. I got some good 50/50 #1/#2 while on a trip to Canada this winter. No issues

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
I am up to 56K miles now. Still running beautifully!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Thanks everyone who has replied. I plan on test driving the cruze diesel. I was considering vw's, but after reading a lot of horror stories with those, decided that is not for me. so, as long as everyone here says that there are pretty good with the cold starting and no issues with the fuel pump and or inter-coolers if they have them. I will definitely test drive one, for those of you who live in winter states, do you put snow tires on? if so, what kind do you use? Also, i work for a well known parts store part time, so i can definitely save money on any additives if need be. The car if i do decided to get it, will be outside most of the time. Not in a garage, it does get cold here in Ohio, this year it got down to -15, subaru handled just fine, no issues at all. Owning diesels in general, do they tend to be a pain with just making sure you get good fuel, or have to keep either some diesel kleen or some other additives with you. What does the dealer say about adding additives to your car? does that void the warranty. I know vw dealers don't recommend you adding any additives to their cars. any thoughts? sorry for all of the questions. trying to learn.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Erica, how does the chevy dealers feel about consumers putting additives into the diesel cruze to either help with issues with starting or to prevent gelling of the fuel? Also, have you heard of any issues with the hpfp?(high pressure fuel pumps or inter-coolers freeing icing up? your thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Also, i wanted to know what everyone is getting in mpg's?Currently i am only getting 28mpgs, but having to fill up twice a week. So, that is 8 times a month, that equals 300 in fuel cost. I drive 99.9 percent all highway miles, i drive 80 miles round trip everyday, so that is 400 miles a week, 1600 miles a month on my car. Having to fuel up twice a week is killing me, however being that i have a subaru outback, it is extremely reliable. Other than dealing with head gaskets, failed cat, failed cam seal, results in a few thousand dollars to fix which didn't sit nice with me. Now, i have a oil consumption issue at 130,000 miles and it is only an 2009. So i wanted to know how reliable is the chevy cruze diesel? i have been looking at ford focus titanium model also. there are a lot of gassers that are getting high 30's and even some hybrids that are getting high 40's to low 50's? what you would say to someone who is considering a chevy cruze diesel? what are the maintenance cost associated with the cruze diesel compared to vws? thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
4,143 Posts
With the sort of driving you do a hybrid is out of it's depth, their best is in city driving. 50+mpg is quite normal highway in a diesel Cruze and when you consider how quiet and comfortable it is you would really find it hard to find a better car for this type of driving.

·
10,712 Posts
Thanks everyone who has replied. I plan on test driving the cruze diesel. I was considering vw's, but after reading a lot of horror stories with those, decided that is not for me. so, as long as everyone here says that there are pretty good with the cold starting and no issues with the fuel pump and or inter-coolers if they have them. I will definitely test drive one, for those of you who live in winter states, do you put snow tires on? if so, what kind do you use? Also, i work for a well known parts store part time, so i can definitely save money on any additives if need be. The car if i do decided to get it, will be outside most of the time. Not in a garage, it does get cold here in Ohio, this year it got down to -15, subaru handled just fine, no issues at all. Owning diesels in general, do they tend to be a pain with just making sure you get good fuel, or have to keep either some diesel kleen or some other additives with you. What does the dealer say about adding additives to your car? does that void the warranty. I know vw dealers don't recommend you adding any additives to their cars. any thoughts? sorry for all of the questions. trying to learn.
If the Diesel is like us 1.4 turbo gassers, the IC is sandwiched between the A/C condenser and radiator. To even add to that the lower shutters are closed pretty much indefinitely in the winter time. Yesterday is the 1st time I caught a glimpse of the lower part of the A/C condenser.

·
Premium Member
4,143 Posts
I am from hiram, ohio
I am from Sydney Australia, so I have no idea about most places in USA as they are only names and sometimes a movie or news clip to me.

·
10,712 Posts
I am from Sydney Australia, so I have no idea about most places in USA as they are only names and sometimes a movie or news clip to me.
To give you a brief weather pattern here at least in the very northern Ohio (NEOH) area for this time of the year. You can see 75-80*F weather for like 2-3 days letting you fight a long line of cars to get to the car washes around the area and wear shorts and no jackets maybe. 2 days later it becomes 48-50*F and rainy. The very next day or even later that same rainy night it can be 33*F and snow 4 inches and stick to the ground. 3 days later it rains at a sunny 66*F and melts all the snow again. Once we hit May it may snow/rain mix or do a few hail storms...

·
Premium Member
4,143 Posts
To give you a brief weather pattern here at least in the very northern Ohio (NEOH) area for this time of the year. You can see 75-80*F weather for like 2-3 days letting you fight a long line of cars to get to the car washes around the area and wear shorts and no jackets maybe. 2 days later it becomes 48-50*F and rainy. The very next day or even later that same rainy night it can be 33*F and snow 4 inches and stick to the ground. 3 days later it rains at a sunny 66*F and melts all the snow again. Once we hit May it may snow/rain mix or do a few hail storms...
We are half way through Autumn (fall to you) and as I work from 3:00pm to 12:30am 4 days a week tonight at about 8:00pm I put on a light sweater for the first time since November. The temperature around 0C will happen around June or July, but no snow and these temperatures only happen at night. It is a 5 hour drive to the ski resorts from Sydney although sometimes it snows about 1 hour's drive but not every year.

I guess Florida weather is fairly close to Sydney.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts