Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to buy a Cruze, I dont see a buyers guide on here, so if there is, please point me at it. Looking between '16 (one dealer here still has about 10) and '17. Im clueless on trims. Im anti-technology on cars, I like sunroofs, cruse control, and decent engines (had some guy try to sell me a new yaris and say a 1.5L had pickup) I see a lot of complaints against the stick version. Long time stick driver here so any hope left with it? Would appreciate any and all advice on buying between the different models. TIA!

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,353 Posts
Welcome. I take it you are after the Gen 2 and not the 2016 Limited. Don't think we have a buyer's guide for the Gen 2; that's usually something done for buying a used car & what to look out for.

If you want leather seats, you're after the Premier (manual not available on the Premier). You can load these up with any option in the catalog - all kinds of tech features on the Premier. If you're fine with cloth seats, sounds like you want a LT with Sun & Sound package. If you care about looks, I think the RS package does wonders for the Gen 2 - especially with 18" wheels on the Premier (adds different tires on the LT, but the wheels are still the regular 16"ers).

16-17 are more or less identical for the sedan; '17 introduced a hatchback. You may have some more bugs worked out for the '17 sedan, but so far, we haven't seen too many issues crop up with the Gen2 except for recalls (brake light water leak & passenger seat frame).

I think GM did a pretty good job with the engine on these...it's a 1.4, but it's not too much of a slouch, and certainly way more refined than what you'll find in Toyota's products. It's quiet, unobtrusive, and full of mid-range torque. Some people hate the start/stop feature on the automatics, but I've grown to like it when sitting at stoplights for long periods. You can easily de-activate start/stop by moving the shifter into 'L' and thumbing up to 6th gear.

My 2012 was a manual. I would recommend against it in the Gen 2 if that's what you're after...my recommendation would be to buy something else that feels more involved. You can test drive one and see if you like it, but I didn't. The gears are oddly spaced, the throttle mapping is crummy, and the automatic just drives better (not something I would have said about the 2011-2015 cars). The M32 transmission has had issues a few years into the ownership for a handful of the Gen 1 cars (mine included), and seems unchanged for the Gen2.

·
Premium Member
5,639 Posts
If you are looking for that Turbo Pick up which will knock you back & rock your socks off the CRUZE might not be the car for you

·
17,353 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is replacing a focus if it helps on the engine specs. Was looking at both the regular and the limited (gen 2 and gen 1 I guess). Thanks for the note on the manual, sad to hear :( very helpful though.

·
17,353 Posts
This is replacing a focus if it helps on the engine specs. Was looking at both the regular and the limited (gen 2 and gen 1 I guess). Thanks for the note on the manual, sad to hear :( very helpful though.
I would say go drive them both. As Eddy said, the old 1.4 can feel a bit short of breath on the factory tune since it's in a heavier car with less power. You can probably get a great deal on a 2016 Limited, or maybe even one of the 2016.5s.

Those of us that have owned both would probably mostly tell you to get the new one, but I think that's ultimately up for you to decide.

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
And if you have specific questions, I work at a Chevy dealer selling new cars, including the Cruze, and am happy to answer any questions you may have. My cell and email are in my signature.

A point of extra reference to my knowledge base, I also own a manual Cruze hatch and an automatic sedan.

·
Super Moderator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
11,667 Posts
If you want leather seats, you're after the Premier (manual not available on the Premier). You can load these up with any option in the catalog - all kinds of tech features on the Premier. If you're fine with cloth seats, sounds like you want a LT with Sun & Sound package. If you care about looks, I think the RS package does wonders for the Gen 2 - especially with 18" wheels on the Premier (adds different tires on the LT, but the wheels are still the regular 16"ers).

Just a point of reference, as Eric would say, most dealers, in my experience, offer aftermarket leathers seats (actually your stock seats recovered) for about $1k.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts