Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

New Valve cover leaking

8504 Views 8 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  Usar17
So my PVC went up end of fall. Swapped in a new valve cover and it's leaking at all the bolts. Pulled it off noticed no o-rings. So I popped on a few at the heads. Still leaking, most seemed to come off anyways when I tightened the bolts down. Any suggestions on how to get a good seal? Or did I just get a shitty valve cover?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
4,035 Posts
I noticed rock auto sold a few different part numbers on the cover seal. I don't know if all of them come with new rings. Only one had a pic of new rings with the seal.

It's usually a good idea to replace all instead of trying to reuse. Might try new rings. Don't know if you can buy them seperately or have to buy a new seal again with rings.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bumping for answers.... Watched a few videos and still see nothing but the main gasket. Mines leaking from all the bolts tho :/

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Swapped on a new gasket, bolted to torque and in proper pattern. Its not spraying oil on the driver side somewhere. And I now have a sound like frogs chirping the correlates directly to throttle position. [emoji2959]

Left it a a co-workers this morning as we head into work. Will have to investigate more after work. Buy another valve cover at this point? I'm so over this car.

· Premium Member
278 Posts
I've done two valve covers myself and haven't had a problem, so my guesses are 1) bad valve cover, 2) messed up the install either on the gasket or ???.

Mine has washers on the top side of the bolts between the bolt head and the valve cover. I also put plumbers silicone grease on virtually every gasket I install and have not had an issue (it helps prevent binding and deforming the gasket on install, keeps it pliable a little longer, good to 450*F).

Pictures of everything would probably help a lot in this situation.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
New GM valve cover installed seems to be holding up well. No leaking thus far. There is a noticeable difference between the bolts on the after-market one I had and GM part I just put in. I'd say the GM bolts are definitely designed better for a proper seal. I guess we can chalk this one up to just don't buy cheap alternative replacement parts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.