Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there!

Just joined the site today. I currently have a 2005 equinox AWD and a 2012 45th anniversary camaro SS. Just recently started getting really serious with a girl and starting to think of my future. I'm in the IT field and use my personal car(s) for work. I'm averaging about 2900 miles a month of driving, with the cost of car payments, insurance, gas and maintenance I'm spending WAY too much on cars. So I am in the process of demodding my camaro and selling it. I haven't decided if I am keeping the equinox or not yet.

As you can tell I am a chevy (well GM) guy and I am looking at getting into a cruze. The gas savings alone would save me over $300 a month!

I haven't decided on new or certified used for the cruze yet but most likely leaning towards new for the lower APR. I can't see a few thousand less financing for a few APR higher would be much of a savings going to used.

Equinox is stock with 115k miles on it now.

camaro has dynatech long tube headers, solo performance Mach XL catback with a CAI inc CAI.

Here is the equinox:

here is the camaro:

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,274 Posts
Welcome to the cruze talk Be cool stay cozy keep cruzen and Best Wishes !
That appears to be the burbs cool .

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to the cruze talk Be cool stay cozy keep cruzen and Best Wishes !
That appears to be the burbs cool .
Yup it is the burbs. The city drives me crazy lol

Welcome to the forums and congrats on your new Cruze! :)
Thanks for the welcome. Don't congratulate me yet! I haven't gotten it! lol

·
Premium Member
2,822 Posts
Welcome!! Nice looking Camaro.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Welcome to CruzeTalk and congrats on your new Cruze.

·
Epic Beard Man
5,389 Posts
Welcome Steve! At this point, new is definitely the way to go. Due to trans issues, I'd avoid used 2011s anyway, so that limits the available used Cruzen.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I'm in IT as well. I commute to the Chicago area 2-3 times a week from Wisconsin, so we put on about the same amount of miles. I went from a 23 mpg minivan to my 44 mpg Eco. The difference my gas budget pretty much pays for the car and the Cruze is a lot more comfortable. Good luck whatever you decide.

·
Administrator
15,750 Posts
A Cruze Eco MT or a Diesel will pay for itself, guaranteed, with that kind of mileage. Invest in a set of steelies ($200) and some Blizzaks or another urban/ice snow tire and you'll be good to go in anything but deep snow in excess of 6 inches.

·
Premium Member
2,704 Posts
A Cruze Eco MT or a Diesel will pay for itself, guaranteed, with that kind of mileage. Invest in a set of steelies ($200) and some Blizzaks or another urban/ice snow tire and you'll be good to go in anything but deep snow in excess of 6 inches.
Car is a complete beast in the snow. I can't wait to see how it does with snow tires. I drove in 4-5" with the stock all-seasons and didn't have any problems. The Cruze is one sturdy bugger, with very predictable snow handling.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Welcome Steve! At this point, new is definitely the way to go. Due to trans issues, I'd avoid used 2011s anyway, so that limits the available used Cruzen.
Thank you! Part of the reason i joined this forum was to find out issues with certain model years. So 2012-14 they seemed to have fixed the trans issue?

Welcome to the Cruze Talk.
With that many miles every month, Go for an Eco M/T, You should be able to find one for about 18 grand.

Like this one:
Lisle, IL 2014 Chevrolet Cruze ECO Manual New Sedan Naperville, IL Downers Grove, IL Bill Kay Chevrolet | 149005 | 1G1PJ5SB5E7109729

[LOL @ Obermd]
I have thought about the eco and the diesel. The diesel is really tempting but I did some math the other day and going strictly with highway numbers from chevy, to me it would take WAY to long to break even for the price difference.

standard cruze 38 mpg hwy at 3.60 per gallon is $0.095 per mile at $20k
eco 42 mpg hwy at 3.60 per gallon is $0.085 per mile at $22k
diesel 46 mpg hwy at 3.80 per gallon is $0.082 per mile at 25k

the eco would take 200,000 miles before I would save money.
the diesel would take 384,615 miles before I would save money.

Your talking penny's on the dollar of savings for an extra $2000-$5000 cost.

I'm in IT as well. I commute to the Chicago area 2-3 times a week from Wisconsin, so we put on about the same amount of miles. I went from a 23 mpg minivan to my 44 mpg Eco. The difference my gas budget pretty much pays for the car and the Cruze is a lot more comfortable. Good luck whatever you decide.
the camaro I could get 25-26mpg straight highway and the equinox I can get 21-23mpg straight highway. Just with averaging out mpg of the two and the fact that I dont drive straight highway all the time lets say 20mpg between them and 3.60 for regular 4 for premium average that out to 3.80. I spend about $550 on gas a month. So if I can do all that driving in the cruze and say 35 mpg at 3.60 a gallon I would spend about $300 in gas. $250 in gas savings alone is huge!

see 2 above where I did math to break down cost per mile and how long it would take to pay for itself.

Car is a complete beast in the snow. I can't wait to see how it does with snow tires. I drove in 4-5" with the stock all-seasons and didn't have any problems. The Cruze is one sturdy bugger, with very predictable snow handling.
I'm hoping it is good. 3 years ago I had a 2008 Pontiac G8 GT and 2 weeks after I got it I got stuck in a blizzard that dumped 10+ inches of snow 150 miles away. I almost stopped and got a hotel but thought I would give it a try. BTW I got on the road with about an inch of snowfall. by the time I got home it was about 6 inches. That car handled better then any car I had ever driven in snow. Even with it being RWD and 360 hp.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,274 Posts
How much sand ( weight ) did you put in the trunk ? that was and is an old trick for driving in the winter with RWD vehicles .

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
How much sand ( weight ) did you put in the trunk ? that was and is an old trick for driving in the winter with RWD vehicles .
none, it had brand new eagle rs-a tires on it which are good for the first year in snow. The car weighed enough itself coming in right around 4000 lbs. But the stabilitrack and traction control were amazing on it. I've had many RWD cars and that is why I was thinking of pulling over but it being the first snow fall I wanted to see how it went and I was surprised.

Previous cars I have had:
1989 bronco 2
1992 firebird formula
1993 buick century
1994 camaro z28
1993 honda accord
2001 grand prix GTP
2008 pontiac G8 GT
1996 saturn SL1
2000 grand am

Current own
2005 equinox AWD
2012 camaro SS

I have driven many other cars as well. Those are just the ones I have personally owned the 8 years I have been driving. The top 3 are the equinox, G8 GT and bronco 2 in the snow with the Pontiac grand am as number 4.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,274 Posts
Are you really going to Go out and Buy a Cruzen ?
If so , I would have to state to you that is an OK car in the Winter . I have been through 2 winters here to date .
I am in Elmhurst . Yeah the Rich Hood . now if they could only finish this street out front , I could be happy happy happy . It is taking 20 minutes to drive 2 blocks .

·
Epic Beard Man
5,389 Posts
Haha you sold the G8 and ended up with a Camaro and Equinox? The G8 is awesome, just saying...

But generally yes, they fixed a lot of the auto trans issues. I believe some early 2012s had some issues (trans and otherwise) that kinda carried over from 2011, but they were gone by about December 2011 builds. So just about any 2012 calendar year build should be good, and up. Check the sticker on the driver's door for the build date.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Are you really going to Go out and Buy a Cruzen ?
If so , I would have to state to you that is an OK car in the Winter . I have been through 2 winters here to date .
I am in Elmhurst . Yeah the Rich Hood . now if they could only finish this street out front , I could be happy happy happy . It is taking 20 minutes to drive 2 blocks .
Yes I am really going to buy one. Already have talked to the dealership (sunrise chevy in glendale heights). I'm going to put the stock intake and exhaust back on the camaro this weekend and hopefully pick up the cruze on Monday.

I may keep the equinox for now or my GF might take it over. If I do hold onto the equinox then I will use it when there is significant snow on the ground 2in plus inches? Then in spring if she doesn't want it I will sell it and pickup a 3rd gen fbody or 4th gen LS1 fbody for my toy.

Haha you sold the G8 and ended up with a Camaro and Equinox? The G8 is awesome, just saying...

But generally yes, they fixed a lot of the auto trans issues. I believe some early 2012s had some issues (trans and otherwise) that kinda carried over from 2011, but they were gone by about December 2011 builds. So just about any 2012 calendar year build should be good, and up. Check the sticker on the driver's door for the build date.
Yes I have to agree the G8 is awesome. But I have been a camaro/firebird fan forever and when I picked up the G8 the Camaro's were just hitting the market and the markup was crazy! Plus the G8 was used at 24k where as the camaro was pushing over 36k with the same amenities. When i went from a "contractor" to a permanent full time position I picked up the camaro and traded in the G8 after putting 38k miles on it in 10 months. Then I picked up the equinox Last year.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,274 Posts
I walked out of sunrise chevy when I was looking for a new car 3 years ago . none of the sales reps seemed interested in showing me any interest . after more then an hour of trying ..wound up going to Castle on Rt 38 and Villa . way better selection .
Castle also has an additional lot for storing new vehicles on Villa and St, charles , RD.

·
10,712 Posts
Only things I can think of from 12-13 that are worth talking about was the fan speeds and 7 inch mylink standard screen eco wise. A step firther would be the 3m strip behind the back doors. Goint to a cruze, you will notice the back window is not just for decoration and easier in and out access of the doors in tight parking spots. You will lose the thrown back into the seat feel and V8 roar depending on how much you were able to enjoy that on the weekend drives. I believe the insurance will be cheaper and I haven't had mine long enough to confirm or deny snow drivability.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts