Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Helloooo... Use to work for Bridgestone Retail Ops so I have a basic understanding of automotive anatomy and terminology, part functions, etcetera... But my 2011 cruze has me stumped! Hopefully someone can help me diagnose and doctor my baby back to health.

·
Premium Member
5,639 Posts
Welcome Jill! I am willing to lend any part of my anatomy to help you here. What seems to be your problems, automotivily speaking that is?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hahaha.. the common and dreaded Service Stabilitrak/TCS/Flashing CEL and rough idle -- showing codes U0100, (lost communication with ecm) P0304 (misfire on cyl 4), did replace valve cover and spark plugs, reset codes and now get a permanent P0300 (multiple random misfire). I've double checked spark plug gap, replaced intake cam sensor, and switched champion plugs for ac-delco.... still getting the same codes & symptoms.

·
Super Moderator
7,782 Posts
Bad plug wires? Bad coil pack?

I'm guessing Robby will know right away once he checks in.

·
Super Moderator
7,782 Posts

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,272 Posts
Nice to know there is a some one that has an all trades moto and still cannot master any ...

With all certainty you are in a bad position mechanically speaking ..
Just throwing parts at the problem seems to only exacerbate your frustration .

Since you do not mind me being blunt . I will speculate your coil pack is Bad ...

We do need a bit more information from you though ..Yr,Make and Model to start ..

·
2,168 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice to know there is a some one that has an all trades moto and still cannot master any ...

With all certainty you are in a bad position mechanically speaking ..
Just throwing parts at the problem seems to only exacerbate your frustration .

Since you do not mind me being blunt . I will speculate your coil pack is Bad ...

We do need a bit more information from you though ..Yr,Make and Model to start ..
My apologies for assuming that the Cruze forum was specifically for Chevy Cruze talk -- the year of make is 2011 :grin: It is the 1.8L and not the 1.4L Turbo.

·
Premium Member
2,822 Posts
My apologies for assuming that the Cruze forum was specifically for Chevy Cruze talk -- the year of make is 2011 :grin: It is the 1.8L and not the 1.4L Turbo.
I used to have a 2011 ECO 6M - had a 1.4. Is your car a 6M or 6A? You don't need to apologize for anything. I am pretty impressed, you seem very knowledgeable about your car. The turbo cars had more issues - specifically bad pistons. Mine failed at 23k miles. When my car was acting up - I immediately ordered a coil pack - however the problem was way more serious. Good luck with your car, I am confident you will get it sorted out. Oh, and welcome to CT.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I used to have a 2011 ECO 6M - had a 1.4. Is your car a 6M or 6A? You don't need to apologize for anything. I am pretty impressed, you seem very knowledgeable about your car. The turbo cars had more issues - specifically bad pistons. Mine failed at 23k miles. When my car was acting up - I immediately ordered a coil pack - however the problem was way more serious. Good luck with your car, I am confident you will get it sorted out. Oh, and welcome to CT.
Thank you-- I have the 6A. What was the way more serious problem that you had? I'm curious.

·
Premium Member
5,534 Posts
This one, specifically a P0300, really should be at a shop that can watch what is happening while running.
The code can be set by so many things......for example, a vacuum leak that isn't extreme enough to set a lean code (P0171) but just enough to set the random misfire codes......the ecm is scrambling to get its cross counts and pulse width signals just right but the resulting mixture, with that additional air is possibly getting into the 15 to 1 range or slightly leaner, unable to support consistent combustion........keep in mind that was just an example.
Going further, that past 'Lost Communication' code is troubling.......this is clearly a momentary open that has occurred that affected all information the ecm receives.......has this car had its negative cable replaced?
Actually any of the ground lugs, if making poor contact at the eyelets, can 'blind' the ecm for a moment.........same thing goes for a wonky cam or crank position sensor.......in spec. operating at the edge of it range.....not enough to set a specific component code.

Advice: you have spent far more in time and parts, probably needlessly replaced, than a diagnosis.......and you still need a competent diagnosis.

Time to do that and stop 'Shotgunning'

Rob

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This one, specifically a P0300, really should be at a shop that can watch what is happening while running.
The code can be set by so many things......for example, a vacuum leak that isn't extreme enough to set a lean code (P0171) but just enough to set the random misfire codes......the ecm is scrambling to get its cross counts and pulse width signals just right but the resulting mixture, with that additional air is possibly getting into the 15 to 1 range or slightly leaner, unable to support consistent combustion........keep in mind that was just an example.
Going further, that past 'Lost Communication' code is troubling.......this is clearly a momentary open that has occurred that affected all information the ecm receives.......has this car had its negative cable replaced?
Actually any of the ground lugs, if making poor contact at the eyelets, can 'blind' the ecm for a moment.........same thing goes for a wonky cam or crank position sensor.......in spec. operating at the edge of it range.....not enough to set a specific component code.

Advice: you have spent far more in time and parts, probably needlessly replaced, than a diagnosis.......and you still need a competent diagnosis.

Time to do that and stop 'Shotgunning'

Rob

Thanks Robby. I'm hoping that what you mean by "needlessly replaced" you mean "needlessly replaced" because it doesn't fix my overall problem.
My cruze does have 80K+ miles, and there was evidence of a slow leak around the valve cover gasket - so I feel I can justify replacing that and the spark plugs which had yet to be replaced as well.

The battery cable looks as if it has been replaced- this is a preowned vehicle. Thanks for the tip on checking the ground connections.
I realize that P0300 is a very generic DTC code, however, I was hoping that the P0304 code could help narrow down the issue.

I tightened the battery ground connections and ran codes one last time after running the engine for a minute. All I'm getting back is P0304 now. All that being said, I will probably still take her to the closest dealer for a "competent diagnosis"...since clearly my competence is lacking.
Thanks for the warm welcome and advice.

·
Premium Member
2,822 Posts
My 2011 ECO had 2 bad pistons (cracked) and a blown turbo. Turbo, pistons and cylinder head all replaced at sometime under warranty.

·
Premium Member
5,534 Posts
Thanks Robby. I'm hoping that what you mean by "needlessly replaced" you mean "needlessly replaced" because it doesn't fix my overall problem.
My cruze does have 80K+ miles, and there was evidence of a slow leak around the valve cover gasket - so I feel I can justify replacing that and the spark plugs which had yet to be replaced as well.

The battery cable looks as if it has been replaced- this is a preowned vehicle. Thanks for the tip on checking the ground connections.
I realize that P0300 is a very generic DTC code, however, I was hoping that the P0304 code could help narrow down the issue.

I tightened the battery ground connections and ran codes one last time after running the engine for a minute. All I'm getting back is P0304 now. All that being said, I will probably still take her to the closest dealer for a "competent diagnosis"...since clearly my competence is lacking.
Thanks for the warm welcome and advice.

Your assumption is correct....components replaced did not correct the concern.

Shotgunning means throwing parts at it in the hopes something will give resolution......sadly, some, so called mechanics, have been known to take this path......didn't want you to suffer the same fate.

Don't quote me on this.....the P0304 business.....used to be this would be #4 in the firing order....not cylinder #4........The firing order is 1- 3-4-2......in my day this would have me looking at cyl#2......fourth in the firing order......but I took off my spurs a few years ago and things may have changed.

Actually I still wear the spurs....repair bigger things for my sons business......like excavators.

Rob

1 - 16 of 16 Posts