Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all,

First and foremost, pleasure to be here in the company of fellow Cruze owners. I'll work on getting my profile updated later, but for now the skinny is I've a 2012 Cruze LT2 w/ RS package, bought brand new with 4 miles on it. Serviced regularly at the dealer (about to change soon following my last "complimentary service"), well driven, and well loved. Became a big fan test driving a 2011 model and eventually got one soon after. I've also a 2008 Chevy Colorado and 1996 Jeep Cherokee which has more of my blood on it than most vehicles should... but its a great toy! Can't believe it has taken me this long to make it to a Cruze forum, but seems these things are mostly used when there is a problem and I've been fortunate thus far to have none. Regardless, glad to be in the company of y'all, and look forward to reading up on useful information and hopefully shedding light of my own. I digress...

Like most folks, first post is a problematic one. Out and about driving today, nothing fancy, and the car starts puttering with low RPMs (400-700) as I come to a stop light and just almost completely stopped. I go at the sign of a green light and get the same problem at the next light, this time triggering a check engine light. To make things even more interesting, it felt like almost a transmission issue as I could feel what I can only describe as a slight tugging forward notion over and over about twice a second despite my foot hard on the brake. Driving in town (35 mph) and even on the highway (70 mph top speed) I had zero issues of any kind. But when I've nearly completed a complete stop the issue arrises and is not consistent. When I got home, I hooked up my reader and downloaded the following: P0106, P0171, and P1101. I'll admit I haven't done a ton of searching yet, but for the little I have, I've found no good answers yet. I'll also admit that while I'm very mechanically savvy on my Jeep, I have yet to find a need so far to tinker with my Cruze and so I'm beginner status to some degree. Go easy on me, but I'd appreciate any help anyone can offer. And sorry in advance for the novel, just trying to be detailed. Cheers!

Edit: Just remembered as well, sounded like the fan was running after I turned the car off at two different locations following driving. Rather abnormal as I don't think I've ever heard it do that. I'd call it normal if it were hot out, but it was only a high of mid 50s here today.

Specs:
2012 Cruze LT2 w/ RS package
1.4L Turbo w/ 61,000 miles, Automatic
Check engine displayed with P0106, P0171, P1101 codes
All stock parts, no aftermarket mods

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
Most likely, based on your description, the pcv that is integral with the cam cover has failed...creates a large vacuum leak and sets off several resultant codes.
Good news is this would be a powertrain claim (freebee), however, the dealer must verify that the check valve, a integral part of the intake manifold, did not cause the pcv failure.
If the valve has failed, a manifold replacement (also powertrain) will also be required for a lasting repair.

Keep in touch,

Rob

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Appreciate the help thus far. Might need little more assistance on what I am looking at (diagrams) to fix this one. Dumb ol me hasn't bought a Haynes manual or anything yet. Looks like I'm going out today before work.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,488 Posts
Appreciate the help thus far. Might need little more assistance on what I am looking at (diagrams) to fix this one. Dumb ol me hasn't bought a Haynes manual or anything yet. Looks like I'm going out today before work.
Are you already out of powertrain warranty coverage? This is covered under 5 yr/100K PT warranty. While the valve cover itself is a cheap and easy fix, it may need an intake manifold, as mentioned, too, which is about $300 + labor out of pocket for you.

If you're unsure, create an account here, plug in your VIN, and check existing warranty coverages:
https://my.chevrolet.com/home?evar18=gm_owner_assistance_chevy_logo

·
Premium Member
5,638 Posts
On the new 2012 how much complementary service did you get? After the first 2 years of complementary service the only thing offered complementary at my dealership is Coffee & Popcorn

·
17,488 Posts
On the new 2012 how much complementary service did you get? After the first 2 years of complementary service the only thing offered complementary at my dealership is Coffee & Popcorn
None. That became a selling point after other manufacturers started to do that first, I think.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Haha, I got 60,000 miles of free oil changes and tire rotations along with a few cheapy discount coupons for other stuff. Didn't come from GM, but the dealership itself. Have to admit I worked a **** of a deal with them I'll probably never see again. Plus side is even if I was a little late, they didn't care.

I'm terrified about it, but having the wife take the car in in the morning to get it looked at. She isn't savy with vehicles, but haven't much option with work and no openings on the weekend. Lets hope for the best... I did however notice today the fan kept kicking on after I drove it and turned it off today. It sure isn't warm here so thinking this is another symptom of my problems?

·
17,488 Posts
Haha, I got 60,000 miles of free oil changes and tire rotations along with a few cheapy discount coupons for other stuff. Didn't come from GM, but the dealership itself. Have to admit I worked a **** of a deal with them I'll probably never see again. Plus side is even if I was a little late, they didn't care.

I'm terrified about it, but having the wife take the car in in the morning to get it looked at. She isn't savy with vehicles, but haven't much option with work and no openings on the weekend. Lets hope for the best... I did however notice today the fan kept kicking on after I drove it and turned it off today. It sure isn't warm here so thinking this is another symptom of my problems?
The fan thing may be a low coolant level issue, which means a leak somewhere.

As for the other thing, arm her with these:

·
17,488 Posts
Awesome post, thank you sir! And all of that is covered under the powertrain?
Yep!

Water pump as well, if that's what's leaking. If the coolant leak is the hose from the tank to the water inlet junction, that's not, and it is a $10 part and can be replaced in your driveway.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You sir can go crack a beer and call it a day. Job well done. Thank you!

Will update tomorrow after the possible wreckage. Honestly expecting them to say they haven't parts on hand or something ridiculous because well, Friday.

·
17,488 Posts
You sir can go crack a beer and call it a day. Job well done. Thank you!

Will update tomorrow after the possible wreckage. Honestly expecting them to say they haven't parts on hand or something ridiculous because well, Friday.
That is a good possibility (I had to wait for those parts too), but they should offer to put you in a rental car.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.