Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone,

Newbie here. Got a second hand 2009 Cruze diesel a few months ago.
It's my first diesel car :)

P.S.
I'm only got 39 MPG (6.1L/100KMs) on the highway (with A/C on and three people+one luggage), is normal for 2-liter turbo diesel?

·
Premium Member
4,132 Posts
That seems all right, where are you as obviously not in the US?

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
Hi everyone,

Newbie here. Got a second hand 2009 Cruze diesel a few months ago.
It's my first diesel car :)

P.S.
I'm only got 46 MPG on the highway (with A/C on and three people+one luggage), is normal for 2-liter turbo diesel?
With the extra weight and A/C on, I'd say that's pretty good. When I went on a road trip (Just myself and light luggage) I got up to 56MPG for a brief distance with mostly flat ground and a couple of downhill stretches. My overall average for the 2500 mile trip was about where you're at with mostly highway driving.

Of course, with yours being a 2009 it's going to have a different engine than my 2014. For a Diesel in general, 46MPG highway is great.

·
Administrator
25,600 Posts
Welcome. Is that 46 MPG Imperial or 46 MPG US?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
With the extra weight and A/C on, I'd say that's pretty good. When I went on a road trip (Just myself and light luggage) I got up to 56MPG for a brief distance with mostly flat ground and a couple of downhill stretches. My overall average for the 2500 mile trip was about where you're at with mostly highway driving.

Of course, with yours being a 2009 it's going to have a different engine than my 2014. For a Diesel in general, 46MPG highway is great.
So, 46 MPG, I mean approx. 5.9-6.1 L/100KM. still a bit confuse about Imperial (UK gallon) and US gallon. In Australia, we use L/100KM :)

·
Administrator
25,600 Posts
So, 46 MPG, I mean approx. 5.9-6.1 L/100KM. still a bit confuse about Imperial (UK gallon) and US gallon. In Australia, we use L/100KM :)
That converts to about 39 MPG US. Imperial Gallons are larger than US Gallons.

·
Premium Member
4,132 Posts
I recently spent a week in Frankston and averaged exactly that over 2,500km. My best was when I drove from Frankston to Seven hills in Sydney, 923km and put 54.9 litres in it with the DIC still showing 100km till empty. I was cruising at 110kph with cruise control on almost the whole trip.

Reactions: obermd

·
2,254 Posts
That username is epic, lol.

Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I recently spent a week in Frankston and averaged exactly that over 2,500km. My best was when I drove from Frankston to Seven hills in Sydney, 923km and put 54.9 litres in it with the DIC still showing 100km till empty. I was cruising at 110kph with cruise control on almost the whole trip.
wow, you've got much better fuel economy than mine. Do you feel any power loss in hot weather (like 54-57C)?

·
Premium Member
4,132 Posts
I don't really notice much difference, I don't have the same diesel engine as yours, mine is a 2012 series II with the turbo at the front.
View attachment 176785

·
Registered
948 Posts
I'd say it's normal to good - I have a Series 1 with a manual gearbox, and I am very heavy on the pedal, my average is 7.4 l/100km over the last three and a bit years that I have been tracking it.

The best I have ever done is 6.1 on a trip to Adelaide, I could have done better, but, well, all that torque makes it such fun to leave the ute-boys and Mobys and other oxygen thieves in the dust!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts