Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I just bought a 2014 Cruze Diesel. I recently owned a 2003 Cavalier that was bi-fuel (Gasoline / Compressed Natural Gas CNG), but it threw a rod a few weeks ago. In searching for a new vehicle, I wanted something with similar fuel economy ($/mile). My Cavalier was getting 30 mpg on CNG at $1.67/gallon, that is $0.056/mile. So, I either had to get a gasoline car that gets 53 mpg or a diesel car that gets 50 mpg. The Cruze Diesel was a nice fit and I love it. The Cruze is way better than the Cavalier. Don't get me wrong, the 2.2L EcoTech engine is a good engine and I had owned two Cavaliers in my life and both served me well (until the broken connecting rod incident).

Anyways, I am glad to be here and share/learn more about the Chevy Cruze.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,273 Posts
Welcome to the cruze talk Be cool stay cozy keep cruzen and Best Wishes !

·
Super Moderator
5,174 Posts
Welcome happy to have you here! Surely made a good choice for the MPG how about some pics. Be sure to shout out any questions and check out our stickies esp in the Diesel section.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
welcome just curious how many miles did you have on your 2003 Cavalier when it threw a rod.
jsusanka,

When I bought the car it had only 11,000 miles on it 2007. I drove until it had 140,000 miles on it when it threw the rod. At about 120,000 miles I had a cracked head due to a spark plug getting stuck in the head. And ever since then, it ran a little rough (noisy) and ate oil like no other. So, I got the feeling I was on borrowed time. The car owed me nothing as I got the car for free (as a gift) from my wife's grandmother, plus I got a $3,000 tax credit from the state of Utah because it ran on natural gas. I do have a connection to a guy in Michigan who is going to give me an engine out of a 2004 Cavalier CNG and I'll put that in it and then see what I want to do with it (possible sell it to my niece). The Cavaliers are pretty stripped down cars (no power locks, windows, seats, etc. not even cruise control). But hey, when you pay $1.67/gallon for natural gas you can't complain.

·
Vendor
1,207 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum! Congrats on your Cruze - its a great choice and I'm sure you won't be disappointed. Do you have any plans on it? A lot of good info here regarding mods in case you are thinking of doing any. Check out some of the garages and you may get some ideas.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts