Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a Dmax, but looking at some other job options has me staring at a commute up around 60-65miles roundtrip. Dmax isn't best suited for that and i had been toying with the idea of getting a newer daily driver and just keep the dmax for towing, snowy weather days, and just because days!

To be fair I'd put my driving at 85% highway(55mph 2lane or interstate) and 15% stop and go. While am I'm most concern w/MPG, I do need some sport/style. I'm wanting to keep it domestic, even thought my initial top pick was to find an older TDI Jetta(even knowing their pitfalls) til yesterday when I actually did some basic used car searching based on MPG. When I stumbled upon the cruze and their MPG numbers, I was unaware they could push the 40+mpg in certain configurations.

Now my ideal price range is really 5-6g as I'd like to keep it a cash purchase, but if I go the Cruze route I realize'll have to stretch it out a bit to 8-8500. Given that Im after mileage, I'm really only going to seek out the Eco model w/manual. I've got the dmax when I want a power fix . I realize this is likely going to put me into a higher mileage car unless I find a gem. How are these cars doing with some mileage on them? I've never owned a car or paid any attention to them to know how things wear so I'm outta my element. I've read the "New owners crashcoure" and "Things to know about your cruze" stickies. Are there major no way around it maintenance issues to be aware of? Like in the case of a TDI there's the timing belt at 60-80k,cam/rollers, questionable flywheels or weird electrical gremlins?

Thanks.

·
10,712 Posts
Eco is what you want but you won't get style unless you take a small MPG hit and go 2LT RS 6MT. 13 or 14 is the years you want to start at. The scary used cars to come across is usually the rental car fleet. Manuals wouldn't fall under that but you still have the leased and don't care because it's not mine cars as well. Known issues would be water pump and negative cable which both have extended coverage on them.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about the known issues. They're pretty small potatoes when it comes to costs. What you want to look for is something that's been well cared for. The turbo isn't very tolerant of abuse by ignoring oil changes. The gassers have a timing chain, so no worries there. (I think the diesel and the 1.8 has a belt).

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
You might find a CTD in that price range. I have 2 of them and obviously really like them, both economy and power. One has a lifetime average of 40 MPG with considerable city driving, the other has 35MPG, got the second used and think it was driven be a lead foot! That said, I'd love a manual, but not available for Diesel, though the AF-40 transmission is solid by all accounts.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
I second the recommendation for a diesel Cruze. There is a diesel subforum on this site - check it out, and welcome!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wouldn't worry too much about the known issues. They're pretty small potatoes when it comes to costs. What you want to look for is something that's been well cared for. The turbo isn't very tolerant of abuse by ignoring oil changes. The gassers have a timing chain, so no worries there. (I think the diesel and the 1.8 has a belt).
Yea, the timing chain thing is certainly a plus i think. Not that I still couldn't have an issue. Im pretty particular w/the oil for my Dmax so that shouldn't be much change. Looks like the transmission fluid is something to stay on top of as well with these.

Eco is what you want but you won't get style unless you take a small MPG hit and go 2LT RS 6MT. 13 or 14 is the years you want to start at. The scary used cars to come across is usually the rental car fleet. Manuals wouldn't fall under that but you still have the leased and don't care because it's not mine cars as well. Known issues would be water pump and negative cable which both have extended coverage on them.
I should've edited better, I copied my post from a another general forum when I was looking for suggestions.. I just didnt want any Prius/yarius or honda fit type suggestions.. While not a Vette, i dont think the exterior styling is to bad with the cruze/eco. Though it does look like I'll have to give up the hope for heated seats with a Eco.

You might find a CTD in that price range. I have 2 of them and obviously really like them, both economy and power. One has a lifetime average of 40 MPG with considerable city driving, the other has 35MPG, got the second used and think it was driven be a lead foot! That said, I'd love a manual, but not available for Diesel, though the AF-40 transmission is solid by all accounts.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
I second the recommendation for a diesel Cruze. There is a diesel subforum on this site - check it out, and welcome!
I certainly wouldn't be opposed to one if I came across one but being they're newer I suspect they will be few and far between. There's only 1 available w/in 200 miles from here and it's low miles high $. Bummer they wouldn't didn't put a manual in with it. Didn't they already stop making them?

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
The GEN 1 diesels have all been built. 2017 with the diesel and the manual will be released shortly next near. I believe pricing has been announced, and you can see ordering information in the 2017 GM Fleet ordering guide online.

Heated seats can be added. I did this, and the link is in my signature.

GEN1 2011's had some issues with pistons. I would stay away from that year. There have been a few manual owners that have had flywheel issues, and it seems like some have had clutch issues as well. I think the flywheel was all GM issues, the clutches hard to say depending on the driver.

If $5K-$6K is your budget, you might end up with high miles, and or issues. These engines seem easy to work on, as there is accessibility in the engine compartment, but the engine design uses a lot of plastic. Both in valve covers, PCV venting issues, and coolant parts. Water outlet drivers side of the block. Thermostat lower passenger side on the water pump.

Smell for coolant leaks. A darkish brown color to the coolant bottle would make me run. Not only does it probably leak, but the coolant may not have been serviced.

My experience is dexcool turns dark when overheated.. this stains the coolant reservoir. Granted a reservoir can be replaced or cleaned to pretty it up for sale. A clean bottle could be a problem, as it could have been prettied up, but a dark bottle is a lack of maintenance, or better yet a leaker running hot.

Reactions: MRO1791

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
The GEN 1 diesels have all been built. 2017 with the diesel and the manual will be released shortly next near. I believe pricing has been announced, and you can see ordering information in the 2017 GM Fleet ordering guide online.
More detail: The Gen 1 in the US runs from 2011 to 2015 and includes the "2016 Limited". Gen2 is the "All new 2016" onward. The Gen1 diesel was only for 2014-2015 MY. No diesel was made for the transition year of 2016. While diesels might be rare, they also don't seem to sell well. You might get lucky and find a diesel that's sat a little long on a dealer's lot.

A darkish brown color to the coolant bottle would make me run.
Some cars may have had a dye added to help track down leaks. I'm not sure what color that would make the coolant.

Reactions: MRO1791

·
10,712 Posts
I should've edited better, I copied my post from a another general forum when I was looking for suggestions.. I just didnt want any Prius/yarius or honda fit type suggestions.. While not a Vette, i dont think the exterior styling is to bad with the cruze/eco. Though it does look like I'll have to give up the hope for heated seats with a Eco.
I was saying that as I had an eco and slowly tried to make it RS appearance. My next step was RS bumpers and delete the shutter system. Possibly a side skirt that looked like stock.

Eco front

1LT/2LT/LTZ RS front

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Kinda fell off the radar for most of winter since I wasn't driving much, but back researching some more and I think you are on the right track with the LT RS setup.. I think going that route with a manual would be the best of both worlds in regards to possible mpg and styling that works for me.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My gf has a MY '11 cruze LS auto and she's toying with the idea of bumping up to the hatchback. Granted its an auto and dark blue which im not crazy about, she's a very easy driver and her dad is on top of all the maintenance. I suspect I could get it at a price that would make me look past the color and auto..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts